Error 18, and I think I've covered the bases...

Hey, so I have the axe ii, and the mfc that I'm running with a cat5

I am trying to upgrade the firmware on the mfc, I have the axe updated to the most recent firmware, I am running one midi cable from the axe out into the mfc in...

I have done the whole procedure according to yeks

I am using a MacBook pro, USB into the axe. I am using snoise librarian with the transmit delay at the recommended settings.

When I power up the axe, the do a manual fw boot on the mfc, it says fw update...all good...then when I hit play on snoise, it automatically says 'error 18' and that's where I sit...

Anything I'm overlooking?

Thanks

Thats the "bad image" error (Invalid Model ID) . Redownload and try it again.
Also try slowing the communication down a notch.

Here is that how to again:

To upgrade using the Axe-Fx II (as a MIDI adapter): Source
  1. Set IO.MIDI.SEND_REALTIME_SYSEX = NONE
  2. Set IO.MIDI.USB_ADAPTER_MODE = ON
  3. Power down the Axe-Fx II
  4. Remove the CAT-5 cable between Axe-Fx II and MFC-101
  5. Connect Axe-Fx II MIDI-OUT to MFC-101 MIDI-IN with a 5-pin cable
  6. Connect the power supply to the MFC-101
  7. Power on the Axe-FX II
  8. Power-on the MFC-101 while holding down footswitch 1
  9. Send the firmware with a MIDI librarian
  10. Power down the MFC-101 and Axe-Fx II
  11. Remove the MIDI cable and reconnect CAT-5 cable
  12. Power on the Axe-Fx II
  13. Set IO.MIDI.SEND_REALTIME_SYSEX = ALL
  14. Set IO.MIDI.USB_ADAPTER_MODE = OFF
An upgrade may require you to also reset the MFC-101 to its factory settings. This will be noted in the release notes. To reset the MFC-101, power up while holding switch #11. This will cause you to lose your configured settings. You can save these on firehand and restore these after the process.
Note on MIDI utilities: many MIDI utilities need to be configured to work "slowly" in order to perform a successful upgrade. For example, in MIDI-OX set Low Level I/O Buffers to 256 or 128 (size) and 16 (number), Milliseconds Between Buffers to 60 ms, and make sure the Delay after F7 setting is ticked. Use View > Sysex to bring up the Sysex view window, then go to Sysex > Configure to configure the buffers. Also verify that the options MIDI FIlter and Pass Sysex are ticked.

FWIW......I've had great MFC FW update success with just one regular midi cable(not USB through AXEII) using my midisport,leaving CAT5 plugged in for power.
90ms delay/256/16

Did you know you can actually use Axe-Edit to send the MIDI file? Just use its built-in UPDATE FIRMWARE and ignore all the Axe-Fx related instructions and muscle your way through to the SEND button.

Did you know you can actually use Axe-Edit to send the MIDI file? Just use its built-in UPDATE FIRMWARE and ignore all the Axe-Fx related instructions and muscle your way through to the SEND button.

Yuup. Done this before. Is this on the wish list for a "MFC" specific firmware update button?

Actually, it's a bit broader than that-- a generic sysex util. Not just for MFC, but also for Axe-Fx System.

-m@

@Poopynuggeteer

Although I have an Ultra and an MFC there might be something that could be valid for the Axe-FX II as well.

Because my MFC is powered through a 7-pin MIDI cable between its MIDI-Out and the MIDI-In of the Ultra I was looking for a solution to let this MIDI cable connected while updating the MFC. For updating the firmware of the MFC I connected its MIDI-In to an external USB to MIDI adapter. At first I had left the Axe-FX parameter IO.MIDI.SEND_REALTIME_SYSEX set to ALL ... and error 18 occured. But as soon as IO.MIDI.SEND_REALTIME_SYSEX was set to NONE it worked. So it seems that this parameter set to NONE prevents the Axe-FX sending data to the MFC which lead to error 18 when the MFC is in update mode.

FWIW......I've had great MFC FW update success with just one regular midi cable(not USB through AXEII) using my midisport,leaving CAT5 plugged in for power.
90ms delay/256/16

Finally got mine to update completely using these settings in Midi-OX through the Axe-II. Woo-hoo!

Back
Top Bottom