Error 14

virgil

Experienced
Hi guys..
i tried to upgrade to v2.02...
on my MFC 101 display is ERROR 14...
What do I have to do now???

Thank you MrGuitarabuse for your fast esponse..
I just update..and the problem was:
- when I first attempt to upgrade..I started the Midiox first..
then I tried to open midiox after I started MFC..
I don`t know ..but it worked..
that was all..
thanks again

Been trying all morning and having the same problem. Error 14 at 56% every time. Midi buffer set at 90 and also tried lower. Must have tried 20 to 30 times. Same method I used to update MFC-101 firmware in the past. Using SysEx Librarian. Any ideas?

thanks in advance,

Keith

Last edited:
No one with a suggestion? Tried it 10 more times. Double and triple checked everything I could think of. Searched and searched. I'm stuck.

Wow. Really stuck. Got a choice of 2 screens. Error 14 or FW Update Mode. Holding down foot switch 11 during power up does nothing, so I can't restore factory settings. Tried to load the old version of the firmware and it does the exact same thing. Tried a different midi cable. Tried to re download the firmware. Tried to reload Sys Ex librarian. Tried unplugging everything not necessary.

I did have the error 14 on my mfc 101, I used the midi from the axe2
Then I tryed using the midi from my mbox3 pro, and it worked the first time

So try another midi controller if you have one

Last edited:
I guess I might have to buy one. I have updated the firmware on a different MFC before using this same method and it worked the first time.

I was receiving the same error today. I re-downloaded the software thinking it might have been corrupted, no change. Even lengthened the delay a touch in Midi-ox to make sure I wasn't over-running any buffers (75 ms). Still no go. I tried several different startup sequences for hardware, still Error 14 and dead except for Update Mode. I am using USB via the Axe II to update, btw, set per the Wiki.

On the 6th attempt (not counting another 5 or 6 where it quit midstream at different percents between 2 and 88% completeness), I finally got it. One difference I noticed was that it actually said the firmware update was complete, instead of just "100% Complete" like it did in the previous attempts, which I thought indicated the full transfer had occurred. Apparently 100% Complete isn't really 100% complete, and without whatever comes after 100%, you're dead in the water.

My final (and working) configuration involved the computer running first, start the Axe II with proper I/O settings already in, power up MFC with #1 down to go into firmware update mode, start midi-ox, Actions>Send SysEx>Select MFC SysEx file. Now mind you, I did this very procedure at least three of the previous unsuccessful attempts, but for some unknown reason it took this time.

I LOVE this controller, and love that FAS offers fixes so readily, but I seriously sweat updating this dude. Last update it's first shot and done. This update it's scare the crap out of me until it feels like the planets are aligned right to take the update. Really weird, but midi has always been finicky in my experience.

Thanks Rick.

Your feelings are mine as well. I, too finally got it, but not after 5 or 6 tries. It literally took 40 to 50 tries. I kept getting closer and closer by massaging the speed and lengthening the delay on sys ex librarian. Each small change got me a little closer. I ended up with full speed, but a 65 ms delay. Not 64, that was not enough. The unit could not see the spaces. Not 66, that only got me to about 80%. Only 65 seemed to get me close. Still not perfect. I would consistently get 90-99% complete, but not the whole thing. I literally pushed my recliner over next to my axe fx unit and kept doing it over and over until by chance after a full day of work it finally took. In the end, I wish I had a different USB to MIDI converter. I suspect that maybe using the axefx for this might be the problem.

I also really love the unit and enjoy the tweakability of it. The power it puts into my hands to get my gear to work EXACTLY like I want it to is unprecedented. I put off the update because I knew in the back of my mind that it would take a lot of time and could be trouble. In the end, most of it went off without a hitch. The AxeFX and the Axe Edit update worked perfectly the first time, but for most of yesterday I had a $700 stone sitting on the floor next to it. Don't get me wrong. I think the guys at fractal are doing an incredible job and have come a long way, but there is way too much money tied up in this unit to have to worry about being able to use it after an update. During the day yesterday I was thinking about how many guys would continue to battle a $4000 boutique tube amp that required that kind of time and involved that much uncertainty and frustration no matter how good it was. With that being said, I will continue to enjoy my AxeFX since it is now updated, but am going to be VERY hesitant to update it in the future.

Let me finish off by repeating how much I love the product and am not trying to bash the guys from fractal. Just summing up a long, frustrating day that, in the end, was not caused by anything I was doing wrong.

Keith Riel

Back
Top Bottom