Eric Gale

He is an insanely good player. Cool tidbit about the upside down playing.

"Although Gales plays a right-handed guitar "upside-down" (with the bass E string on the bottom), he is not naturally left-handed; he was taught by his brother, who is left-handed, and never second-guessed the untraditional technique."

"Although Gales plays a right-handed guitar "upside-down" (with the bass E string on the bottom), he is not naturally left-handed; he was taught by his brother, who is left-handed, and never second-guessed the untraditional technique."
I heard before that it makes no sense that we usually use our dominant hand to pick, and instead our dominant hand should be on the fretboard.

This was about Gale. But looking up Jeff found this. Wow. Chops, and the bass player who helps a blind man back to the chair with a nudge.

Sigh.

I got to see Eric open up for King's X sometime in the early to mid 90's. As I was watching this guy absolutely kill on the guitar, a friend of his was standing next to me and informed me that Eric had just turned 17! For the rest of his set, I completely forgot I was there to see King's X play. (And I so wish I could have had the same opportunity to see Jeff Healey as well...I was amazed by him before I even saw HOW he played.)

funny, just this morning watched the Eric Gale Rig Rundown, from 1917 iirc, premier guitar. Great player and sounds like a real nice humble guy.

I got to see Eric open up for King's X sometime in the early to mid 90's. As I was watching this guy absolutely kill on the guitar, a friend of his was standing next to me and informed me that Eric had just turned 17! For the rest of his set, I completely forgot I was there to see King's X play. (And I so wish I could have had the same opportunity to see Jeff Healey as well...I was amazed by him before I even saw HOW he played.)

I saw them on that tour, too. :)

It was King's X on the Faith, Hope, and Love tour circa 1991. Eric's brother
was on bass and singing. Great show. Then again, my Mom could open for
King's X and it would be a great show. :)

Eric and Dug from King's X put out 2 really cool albums with Thomas Pridgen
from Mars Volta on drums. They share vocal duties. Fun stuff.

There is no 'right' (natch) way to play guitar. Look at all the ways that humans have played the instrument.

Just look at Jeff Healey's work. Monster.

I saw Jeff open for ZZ Top years ago. I'd never heard of him, but he blew me away.

If I ever get a chance to see Eric Gales, I won't pass it up. He's got a great combination of chops and passion.

Back
Top Bottom