ERG Heavy Funk Pop (Axe II, Marshall JVM and Fender Vibro Champ) London, UK

Hey folks, Luca Franco here. Greetings from London. I've got a new project heavily influenced by alternative rock, erg guitars, 80s pop and the Minneapolis Sound:

Guitars were recorded with Axe II (heavy), a Marshall JVM (lead) and a Fender Vibro Champ (clean).

I used a Les Paul and a 30" baritone. Vintage Ludwig drums. If you know any London based keyboard players who can play jazz, bring them over!

Just found this cool song! Was it ever released anywhere? What tuning did you use on the baritone guitar?

Just found this cool song! Was it ever released anywhere? What tuning did you use on the baritone guitar?

Thanks a lot for checking it out and please share if you dig it. Only the video exists for this tune at the moment but i'm working on a whole new bunch of songs as we speak.

I used a 30" Agile for the main heavy sound that was tuned with a low E1 and B0 for the two lowest strings, and some Bb0 bits too for the middle 8.

The other sounds were done on the Epiphone 7 string used in the video and the leads were done on a Gibson Les Paul DC.

Since then i had an instrument made from an existing LP body and some spare necks to be able to have all those instruments in one..ie a compromise of having a 25.5" scale for the top strings, and a 34" scale for the low strings, which makes the low B0 sound even better. 0071D800-229F-44F9-8DC7-DCD8AF426280.jpeg

Thanks a lot for checking it out and please share if you dig it. Only the video exists for this tune at the moment but i'm working on a whole new bunch of songs as we speak.

I used a 30" Agile for the main heavy sound that was tuned with a low E1 and B0 for the two lowest strings, and some Bb0 bits too for the middle 8.

The other sounds were done on the Epiphone 7 string used in the video and the leads were done on a Gibson Les Paul DC.

Since then i had an instrument made from an existing LP body and some spare necks to be able to have all those instruments in one..ie a compromise of having a 25.5" scale for the top strings, and a 34" scale for the low strings, which makes the low B0 sound even better. View attachment 105730
Very cool! I have a line 6 variax so i can do all sorts of crazy tunings. Im gonna give something like this a try. Can also use a combo of the Variax and octaver in the fractal to get lower. Is B0 same as B standard if Using a 6 string?

Very cool! I have a line 6 variax so i can do all sorts of crazy tunings. Im gonna give something like this a try. Can also use a combo of the Variax and octaver in the fractal to get lower. Is B0 same as B standard if Using a 6 string?

Cool yeah the Variax is nice..i also have a VG-99 and VB-99 which are very flexible for tunings, but pitch shifting a whole octave doesn't sound as good as an actual string at that pitch and at the right scale length, but the longer the physical scale length is to start with, the better the pitch shifted signal will sound.

For example the 27" scale Shuriken Variax, often demo'd with a low D1 (pitch shifted 1 octave down from a drop D string), sounds better than a 25.5" scale guitar pitch shifted because the longer scale means a brighter sound and clearer notes, which translates better when shifted down digitally.

B0 is an octave lower than B standard..ie a low B string on a 5 string bass, so to get that low with a pitch shifter on a standard guitar and still have clarity, i'd suggest a P-90 or split humbucker (easy in the Variax), and as light a string as you can manage.

Once you combine a Variax tuning followed by the Axe's Pitch block, you'll probably
feel a bit of latency too.

Cool yeah the Variax is nice..i also have a VG-99 and VB-99 which are very flexible for tunings, but pitch shifting a whole octave doesn't sound as good as an actual string at that pitch and at the right scale length, but the longer the physical scale length is to start with, the better the pitch shifted signal will sound.

For example the 27" scale Shuriken Variax, often demo'd with a low D1 (pitch shifted 1 octave down from a drop D string), sounds better than a 25.5" scale guitar pitch shifted because the longer scale means a brighter sound and clearer notes, which translates better when shifted down digitally.

B0 is an octave lower than B standard..ie a low B string on a 5 string bass, so to get that low with a pitch shifter on a standard guitar and still have clarity, i'd suggest a P-90 or split humbucker (easy in the Variax), and as light a string as you can manage.

Once you combine a Variax tuning followed by the Axe's Pitch block, you'll probably
feel a bit of latency too.

Ahh gotcha. Okay well i can always jam to your song an octave higher :) i actually didnt get much if any noticeable latency using a modeled Drop B tuning and the octaver. None the less youve inspired me to make some or jam to some drop tuned groove riffs. Who can i listen to to get some new musical ideas of similar nature?

Back
Top Bottom