EQing for Rooms

This is such a deep thing, and I'm pretty such it's what's happening. I'mma go check out the settings on the monitors at the space, but I guess it makes sense to bring my own. A bit of a pain in the ass, but whatever. I'll figure it out.
For a rehearsal space, I would just use what’s there and see if you can change then return the EQ when you’re done. Unless you’re rehearsing for the speakers you use.

Bring your own, make yourself happy.
If they're not huge and heavy and you already have ones you're happy with, just do that -- that's why you bought them!

There's enough about the sound of the room that's completely out of your control, don't add another giant unknown when you have a choice.

There's enough about the sound of the room that's completely out of your control, don't add another giant unknown when you have a choice.
I agree!

Now, on the other hand, it CAN work to play through the PA for a rehearsal if the system is set up fairly flat. This mostly depends on how loud things are: if you can tweak the PA eq a little to sound good playing tracks through it, your guitar will probably be ok too. But the more things get scooped out to make it crazy loud in a small room, the more the guitar will sound like ^@#$!

Just like Matt said, use a graphic EQ. If you have time... you can use a GEQ block and have different channels dialed for different rooms. This is the way of the world.

When I run FOH and I have time, I have definitely used pink noise and a nice microphone on a stand to "flatten" the wedges for the all the performers. Each wedge will have some EQ on it so whatever is sent is "flat" to them. Hopefully the PA has already been tuned to the room/venue.

Back
Top Bottom