EQ TIPS TO MAKE MY STRAT SOUND MORE VINTAGE.

I once read a story about the strat playin King ( Freddie)? or maybe it was Buddy Guy or one of those revered dudes leaving his strat on top of the car and then driving off. Apparently they picked it up off the road afterwards and it still played well and may have even stayed in tune.... (probably couldn't do that with a Gibson)
Any way try that for getting a truly "vintage" tone!

Probably Buddy Guy who plays strats. All the Kings played Gibson humbucker guitars whose headstocks would have stood a very good of snapping during the fall.

FWIW - I have a 1989 Strat+ with the stock gold lace sensors in it. From my perspective, they sound fairly authentic. Something to remember with a Strat+ though ... The tone control is a different design in the Strat+. It is called a TBX. If you are looking for more vintage tones, dial it back to the detent position [5], otherwise it's a treble booster. I also had a Custom Shop Eric Clapton Strat with what I think were vintage noiseless pickups from Fender (I know - oxymoron), but they sounded VERY authentic, and not noisy at all.

All of that said, I am VERY interested in hearing more about these Kinman Woodstock pickups...!

Pete

Thanks to all who have posted.

I have a tone control wired to the back pup, but it is not the main problem. My main problem is that I'm finding it difficult to dial in sounds for a band environment that are either not to bright or too dull. I still think a lot of my problem is my perception of the "strat" sound in a band situation.

I put this question to experienced strat giggers: Does the sound that works live onstage sound a little too bright at rehearsal volumes when standing closer to the amp?

I still have a pickguard with the Lace golds on it. I may try them again. Whilst they may not be reguarded as "vintage" or very strat like by some, they may well sit better with the patches I have dialed in at the moment. If nothing else they may help me identify the tones I'm after simply by being different to the Areas.

It is important to deal in tones at gig volume. What sounds good alone at low volume will not sound the same at gig volume. Remember mids are your friend and usually making thing a bit brighter than you think you need when you are alone is not a bad idea either

I'm also in for some tips on getting the quack. I have a Suhr standard that's H-S with the ML single in the neck, and it sounds absolutely glorious through the clean channel of a regular tube amp. I'm getting close with the Axe-II, but there's slightly less quack with what I've had on tap using the usual models. The closest I've gotten is the Buttery patch, which has always been a fav of mine anyway.

Back
Top Bottom