EQ DI to remove cocked wah sound

stm113

Power User
Basically as the subject says. If you are reamping guitars and you notice that the tone has a bit of that "cocked wah" sound, what frequencies on the DI track would you start looking to EQ first? I know this will be different depending on the guitar, pickups (regardless of what GLenn Fricker says) etc.. But where do you normally start? I would like to EQ the DI track in the DAW prior to sending out to my FM9, using an eq like Melda's MEQ.

Thank you for any responses!

I generally have found that changing cab IR has the most effect in terms of cocked wah artifacts.

Cwah tone on a DI? never really heard of that, but maybe you mean an overly round guitar sound, in which case I would suggest switch guitars / pups, but anyway, one way to possibly eq it out would be to put an eq block 1st in chain and work on the tone with no other blocks present (isolated guitar tone)

When you refer to reamping the "DI track", are you referring to an unprocessed guitar track you have recorded? If that was sounding like a cocked wah, the first thing I would suspect was the tone knob on my guitar had been cranked all the way down when I recorded it. That or something else that had seriously affected the timbre of my direct guitar signal to the track. Either that or something is impacting the DI track when you are reamping it. You might want to confirm whether the source signal in the track has the cocked wah sound or something in the way you are monitoring it back is causing the issue.

Need to figure out why you are getting that sound on a DI track as @chris indicated. A wah is in some respects a subtractive process where the timbre is changed by filtering out some frequencies while potentially emphasizing others. That can make a recorded "cocked wah" sound difficult to repair because you are trying to EQ or restore frequencies that may not be present, or at least highly attenuated, in the recorded track. I guess to correct it you need to figure out how to reverse the effects of a variable band-pass filter.

Last edited:
When you refer to reamping the "DI track", are you referring to an unprocessed guitar track you have recorded? If that was sounding like a cocked wah, the first thing I would suspect was the tone knob on my guitar had been cranked all the way down when I recorded it. That or something else that had seriously affected the timbre of my direct guitar signal to the track. Either that or something is impacting the DI track when you are reamping it. You might want to confirm whether the source signal in the track has the cocked wah sound or something in the way you are monitoring it back is causing the issue.

Need to figure out why you are getting that sound on a DI track as @chris indicated. A wah is in some respects a subtractive process where the timbre is changed by filtering out some frequencies while potentially emphasizing others. That can make a recorded "cocked wah" sound difficult to repair because you are trying to EQ or restore frequencies that may not be present, or at least highly attenuated, in the recorded track. I guess to correct it you need to figure out how to reverse the effects of a variable band-pass filter.
I had read the OP as "cocked wah" while reamping with an amp model. Great question - is it the DI track itself that sounds this way, or the reamped track?

Last edited:
I had read the OP as "cocked wah" while ramping with an amp model. Great question - is it the DI track itself that sounds this way, or the reamped track?

Your interpretation may well be correct. I may have been errant in mine. If the problem is in the reamped signal chain, I might start by removing bypassing any EQ blocks, changing the cab/IR and maybe the amp, or at least checking the tone settings on it. Essentially just starting with a bare-bones preset.

Last edited:
Your interpretation may well be correct. I may have been errant in mine. If the problem is in the reamped signal chain, I might start by removing bypassing any EQ blocks, changing the cab/IR and maybe the amp, or at least checking the tone settings on it. Essentially just starting with a bare-bones preset.
I should have been more clear. The DI track itself doesn't sound like a cocked wah, its the reamped track. What I an trying to get to, is EQing the guitar prior to the amp block to try to mitigate. I said DI track because I'd like to do it in the DAW prior to sending out to the FM9.

To the point some have made, its possible that I don't need to be looking to do before the amp block but maybe after.

I should have been more clear. The DI track itself doesn't sound like a cocked wah, its the reamped track. What I an trying to get to, is EQing the guitar prior to the amp block to try to mitigate. I said DI track because I'd like to do it in the DAW prior to sending out to the FM9.

To the point some have made, its possible that I don't need to be looking to do before the amp block but maybe after.
It might be more profitable to find out what’s causing the cocked-wah sound in the first place. It really sounds like there’s an issue in your preset.

Back
Top Bottom