EQ - asking for opinions

Gytaxor

Inspired
Hey guys,

to make it short: recently I found out, that for some reason my fingers tend to amplify low frequencies - I thought it was the gear, but it happens consistently with tube amps, digital gear etc.

Usually my bass player complains, but he complains about everybody getting into his territory :)

so what I do and it works quite well - I put filter in front of everything - choose highpass and set the low frequency around 120 Hz.

My question is - do amps create lower frequencies even when everything below 120 Hz is cut at the input? - is there any point using all those tools in amp and cab setting the cut frequencies?

I ask because what I do works pretty well but I wonder if I can make it even better. I just don´t want to spend too much time on this and find out it was not worth it - so any of the tone wizzards and studio magicians - can you enlighten me please?

Thank you.

Jan

A low-pass filter at 120 Hz doesn't eradicate all frequencies below 120 Hz--it usually is just a sharp rolloff at 6 or 12 db per octave. There is definitely still content there which will be affected by downstream amp and cab adjustments, so it's still worth playing with those.

First I would try just using the bass knob, and then going to the graphic setting of the amp, as it can be pretty powerful.

I think pre and post amp eq is pretty common and a good easy to understand way of doing presets.

If I am using a drive pedal before the amp that usually does the low-end roll off I need.

My other main thing in the amp block graphic EQ. I use that one all the time.

Cliff added a Cut switch to the amp block too that is pretty cool but I haven't messed with it much other than a couple of times.

I believe generating distortion is the only way an amp adds frequencies to the signal? But I may be wrong on that.

There are other ways to do this. The cut switch is a pre filter that cuts at 120hz already.

The preamp low cut work well also for this.

The transformer low as well.

The blocking parametric block before or after depending on what you like.

Many ways to skin a person.

Back
Top Bottom