EQ a Les Paul to sound more like an SG

How would you guys EQ a Les Paul to make it sound more like a bright SG? Need this for a gig in a week 🤦🏻‍♂️.
Not sure beyond the basics of dial some lows or low mids out. The neck pickup in the SG is closer to the bridge by a bit (about the same location as a 24 fret guitar's neck pickup), so it picks up a different harmonic content than the LP.

PEQ block with surgical cuts. Cut everything under 120Hz. Experiment with a notch in the 400-600Hz,
and then pump up the mids a touch around 1kHz to 2kHz. Don't want to go too far on the mids or it will
sound honky like an half-cocked wah. The low cut and low mids notch may be enough to get you there
and make the mids jump out a bit more.

if by chance you do want to try tone match, attached is some reference tone taken from my 08 SG Standard with 490R neck pu and 498T bridge pu.

Attachments

• TMREF-DI-SG.zip
    6.7 MB · Views: 2
PEQ block with surgical cuts. Cut everything under 120Hz. Experiment with a notch in the 400-600Hz,
and then pump up the mids a touch around 1kHz to 2kHz. Don't want to go too far on the mids or it will
sound honky like an half-cocked wah. The low cut and low mids notch may be enough to get you there
and make the mids jump out a bit more.
I ended up using basicly that by and then I read your post and I fine tune it, thanks.

If you want to change the sound of the pickups use PEQ or Filter straight after the input.

The body and material of an electric guitar has almost zero effect on tone.

If you want to change the sound of the pickups use PEQ or Filter straight after the input.

The body and material of an electric guitar has almost zero effect on tone.

Love this video.

As said - either change the pick ups or PEQ/GEQ.

Back
Top Bottom