Engl Invader + Axefx diagram (live); no hiss, buzz, etc.

ScaredSilent

My goal was to be able to use my Engl Invader's preamp AND the Axefx's preamp BOTH through my Engl's power amp. IN ADDITION, I currently wanted to be able to use the Axefx as an effects processor for the Engl. ALSO, I only wanted to use one midi footswitch to control everything.

I initially tried the 4 cable method with disastrous results (tons of hiss). I then came up with, and tried out, the method per the diagram below with fantastic results. No hiss, hum, etc.

The biggest shortcoming is that I cannot use Axefx effects before my Engl's preamp (this isn't a problem when using the Axefx's preamp/distortion). This is a very minor trade-off considering the supreme flexibility of this setup.

Lastly, this setup is a testament to the amazing design and midi capabilities of the Engl Invader amp. Without these features, this setup would not be possible.

3384357815_797aae432c_o.jpg

Thanks man, this is pretty much what I exactly came on here looking for! I still have a few more questions though.

I'm actually new to both the Invader and Axe-Fx. I have the Z-9 footswitch. Could I assign specific channels from the Engl and effects from the Axe-Fx to one button on the footswitch? How would I connect everything if I just wanted to use the Axe-Fx for effects?

Thanks!

If you just want to use the Axe for effects, connection is easy: FX send on the Engl goes to Input 1/mono on Axe; Output 1 on Axe goes to FX return on Engl. Make sure the FX dial on back of Engl if serial (ie, turned fully clockwise) and make sure your input (in I/O menu) on the Axe is set as 'back input'.

You can use the Z-9 footswitch to control both the Axe and Engl; however, with the Z-9, you can only use 10 midi channels. Midi out on Z-9 goes to Midi In on Engl; Midi thru on Engl goes to Axefx midi in. You then have to use the Axe's I/O midi menu to link Axe presets to midi channels (ie, midi channel 1 linked to Axe preset 120, etc.). To program midi channels in the Engl, simply select the midi channel (ie, mc 1), dial in your amp settings (say, Channel 3 with high gain on), and hold down the 'write' button for 3 second. Now, when you select midi channel one, the Axe will bring up preset 120 and the Engl bring up channel 3 with high gain on.

Back
Top Bottom