Engaging a drive block with wah auto engage

guitarjim

Experienced
On a particular song, when I engage a wah using auto engage for a lead, I want the drive to kick in at the same time. I got it to work by attaching the same pedal to the drive value, also with auto engage, and set the min and max values to the value I want for the drive so that it is static. It seems to work just fine, but my experience with the unit has me thinking there is probably a more elegant way to do this and I'm missing it.

Thanks.

Why not just attach the same pedal for the wah position and auto engage to the Bypass of the drive pedal and use auto engage there too? It works!
Autoengage settings are irrelevant on a bypass modifier; the dot and min/max still determine bypass state as before.

For precise timing with the other block's state, use any parameter other than bypass. I'd recommend balance, so the drive parameter remains able to be adjusted normally.

Because you’re using two methods to bypass the block. You only need one method. But the block still gets bypassed.

By making some adjustments in the Bypass modifier page, it will work fine with Auto Engage.

• Swap the Min and Max values - 'Min' to 'BYPASSED', 'Max' to 'ENGAGED'.
  • Set 'Start' and 'Slope' to 0.0%
  • Set 'Offset' to 100%
  • Set 'Auto Engage' to 'Slow Pos'.

By making some adjustments in the Bypass modifier page, it will work fine with Auto Engage.

• Swap the Min and Max values - 'Min' to 'BYPASSED', 'Max' to 'ENGAGED'.
  • Set 'Start' and 'Slope' to 0.0%
  • Set 'Offset' to 100%
  • Set 'Auto Engage' to 'Slow Pos'.
The autoengage parameter itself isn't influencing what's happening there. You've simply configured a bypass modifier where the dot reaches the "bypass" zone at minimum. Set autoengage to "off" and you'll find it continues to do that in the same way. (The "slope" adjustment doesn't accomplish anything notable there either.)

Use a parameter other than "bypass" for precise autoengage timing in sync with another block that's using autoengage.

Auto engage controls the Bypass parameter. I try to stay away from using the bypass parameter to control something controlling the bypass parameter.

The autoengage parameter itself isn't influencing what's happening there. You've simply configured a bypass modifier where the dot reaches the "bypass" zone at minimum. Set autoengage to "off" and you'll find it continues to do that in the same way. (The "slope" adjustment doesn't accomplish anything notable there either.)

Use a parameter other than "bypass" for precise autoengage timing in sync with another block that's using autoengage.
True. However, setting the Auto Engage to one of the 'Slow' settings keeps it from bypassing too fast IME.

True. However, setting the Auto Engage to one of the 'Slow' settings keeps it from bypassing too fast IME.
Try it again with autoengage = off and see if a similar bypass delay occurs. It does with the Axe-FX III's Pedal 1/2 ports. I think what you're noticing is probably the global damping applied to onboard (and possibly FC6/12; none here to test) pedal values. The default modifier release time would add a small additional delay but the global damping is the main thing that slows the dot's final approach.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/global-damping-of-pedal-1-2-values.204800/

Thanks for the advice. I suppose attaching the pedal to Mix and setting the min and max both to 100% would be a better solution as it would allow me to set the drive parameter as normal.

I would not use auto-engage. Just map your pedal to BYPASS so that the effect turns on while the pedal is forward. Adjust the OFF timing using Release damping.
Not sure why, but that didn't work for me. As I move the pedal, there were a few times where I heard the drive kick in but for the most part nothing. I messed with a bunch of different Release values which didn't seem to make a difference. I tried Karl's setting values as well with no joy.

1720041526976.png

In the earlier screenshot, you're using External 1 for the source and in this one you're using Pedal 1. Is External 1 controlled by Pedal 1? Does the dot move on the graph when you move the pedal? The block should enable when the dot goes above half way and bypass when it drops back below half way.

Reactions: Rex
Back
Top Bottom