Elevated Jam Tracks - YouTube

Bman

Power User
I'm sure most have discovered these backing tracks and videos. Without a doubt these videos have educated my playing 1000%. I haven't learned much if any music theory. But learning the different scale modes, using these videos and backing tracks, I believe I've inadvertently learned what I wished I knew as a younger player. I've always learned by ear and really only memorized two or three pentatonic positions on the neck. I would get stuck if the scale was in a major mode. I grew up in the 70s & 80s, and most of the music I liked (80's metal) is in a minor scale. I could wail away within my boxes.

After practicing to Elevation Jam Tracks on YouTube, I can confidently say I can play in almost any scale and do it in multiple positions. I'd recommend to any guitarist that is 'learning' to use this awesome resource. The songs are great and having the scale up on the screen forces you to learn from repetition and experience. And playing a minor scale in the major position creates new phrasing that I wouldn't normally choose.

Love it!

That's a good one. I have also used Now YOU Shred quite a bit for backing tracks. Check it out if you haven't yet. Scales are on screen and they show a lot of options I hadn't seen on others, such as overlaying the pentatonic and adding the individual chord tones on the grid as the chords change. Some of those I was kind of using by ear, but breaking it down like that made me more aware of a lot of subtle things I have never really noticed and opened some new ideas.

That's a good one. I have also used Now YOU Shred quite a bit for backing tracks. Check it out if you haven't yet. Scales are on screen and they show a lot of options I hadn't seen on others, such as overlaying the pentatonic and adding the individual chord tones on the grid as the chords change. Some of those I was kind of using by ear, but breaking it down like that made me more aware of a lot of subtle things I have never really noticed and opened some new ideas.

I'll definitely check that out.

I find myself wondering how the hell did all these 20 year old rock and roll stars "know" this stuff? My guess is that they really didn't and they were gifted and talented enough to hear it and apply. Sort of like how I taught myself but ...more talented. I have a friend who's that way. Can play anything and almost any instrument. I sent him a link to Elev. Jam Tracks about a year ago and asked him when he learned the pentatonic scales. His answer: He didn't. He hears it and plays it. That used to happen FOR me when I was like 'in the zone'. Now it happens for me because I have a better understanding.

Don't get me wrong, I can't tell you which note is flattened in specific scale without stopping to think about it and do the math. I can't hear a song and immediately rattle off the scale mode unless it's on of the common ones. I usually have to have a guitar in my hand to find the notes and then I can tell you. I guess that's the 'Music Theory' education that's lacking. But the 'aha' moment was when I figured out all of the mode patterns can be played in any key. The tonality and position on the neck changes but everything seems relative, which is beautiful.

I'm sure there's someone reading this, rolling there eyes and laughing at my attempt to speak 'theory'...lol. That's ok. I'm just jazzed that I finally got to this point and floored at how long I let it go before getting here. I took a impromptu lesson about a year ago while my son was taking a drum lesson. I had 30 minutes to kill. Me and the teacher sat down, he asked what I wanted to learn and I said I'm weak on theory and fully knowing where I am on the neck. He had me play for a bit and said, he didn't see it and I played better than him. I replied, that's the experience you're seeing. But I only know 2 or 3 boxes to play out of. He then tried to teach me the Circle of 5th's. lol....it didn't take. I guess that may be the next thing to take on. Maybe now that clicks.

Those are great tracks. I have my own YT channel with a ton of backing tracks but I like to practice with the Elevated tracks quite often.

Those are great tracks. I have my own YT channel with a ton of backing tracks but I like to practice with the Elevated tracks quite often.
Can I find it by searching 'Mark Wein'?

edit: I'm seeing lots of food...lol.
edit again: Found ya

I like your channel! I played a backing in D minor and then found a nice video of some fave Marshall sounds. I don't think I got to the part where you explain the use of your Filter block. It appears like your using it as an EQ, rolling off the highs and blocking some lows. Great tones btw.

I like your channel! I played a backing in D minor and then found a nice video of some fave Marshall sounds. I don't think I got to the part where you explain the use of your Filter block. It appears like your using it as an EQ, rolling off the highs and blocking some lows. Great tones btw.
Thanks! Most of the stuff is there for my students but the Fractal stuff is fun to do. I'm behind on making some videos though. Not enough hours in the day.

oops - the filterblock is usually just part of a lead boost for me. Shapes the sound a little better for how my guitar works with the preset and boosts it a few dB depending on the situation.

I love his jam tracks and the associated materials like the transcriptions, the soloing skills of the guy are also great so in sum it is for me a joy to watch and play.

Back
Top Bottom