Electro-Voice ZXA1 - the Verve 8ma killer?

Jbp

Fresh from NAMM. 2 way (8" speaker and 1" compression driver), 800 watts, 19 lbs.

http://www.electrovoice.com/product.php?id=1004

One guy from TGP heard it at NAMM and said it sounded like it had a 15" speaker.

Anyone have any experience with this little fella? Or with any of the EV stuff - I haven't seen their stuff mentioned much around here.

Dunderhead said:
Fresh from NAMM. 2 way (8" speaker and 1" compression driver), 800 watts, 19 lbs.

http://www.electrovoice.com/product.php?id=1004

One guy from TGP heard it at NAMM and said it sounded like it had a 15" speaker.

Anyone have any experience with this little fella? Or with any of the EV stuff - I haven't seen their stuff mentioned much around here.

I'd be real curious too. At $499, and only 22lbs... When I'm ready to buy I guess I'm gonna have to find a GC that has both this and a K10 and compare. Also has 90* or 100* dispersion angles too.

They aren't scheduled to hit the stores till Feb 22nd. If one of my local Guitar Centers has the EVs and QSC K10s & K12s, I'll drag my shit there and try them out. I'll report back if I get to try them.

Well I was planning on trying them out a couple of weeks ago, but plans have changed, for now (until I sell some more gear). Anyone tried these out yet? I'd love to hear how they compare to the K10s and K12s

I recently bought a pair of ZX1s to go on top of a pair of SB122s. Ran the Axe through it and it sounded awesome - and very good for vocals. That was using an 800W per channel Crown amp. Going to be gigging with it in a week or so's time. Very compact and very light.

thanks for chiming in.... im getting excited about this one.... I could either go this route or get the k10 for like 80 dollars more so im kinda stuck waiting for a comparison because the money isn't that different.

dirtypurple said:
I recently bought a pair of ZX1s to go on top of a pair of SB122s. Ran the Axe through it and it sounded awesome - and very good for vocals. That was using an 800W per channel Crown amp. Going to be gigging with it in a week or so's time. Very compact and very light.
Those subwoofers look cool too, but do you (or in this case I) need them for say a gig of around 100 audience members?
How big are the venues you usually play? :) (in other words, I'm hoping that two of these would be more than enough for most shows. I don't play huge venues that often)

I've yet to hear these, but in general EV rocks. They're big in my locale, I used to sell and rent EV up against QSC, JBL, etc and they've always held their own. I've owned several EV FOH and monitor cabs over 15 years, currently have sxA100s and 250s. Good stuff. But we don't have FBT around here at all, so I can't compare to that!

I hope we can get some more opinions on the ZX1's (and ZXA1's) for use with AxeFX. The price NEW of TWO ZX1's + a half decent power amp is equal to ONE Atomic FR... sounds pretty interesting.

I had a chance to audition EV ZXA1 few weeks ago with setup including subwoofer in the basement of my friend saxophonist who bought them for occasional gigs . We run backing tracks and had a vocalist's mike and my Strat with Axe-FX thru small Mackie mixer directly to speakers and sub. I am not a sound guru, but to me the speakers sounded very good, without feeling of coloration or compression or distortion. Actually they look quite small but the output is surprisingly loud. I liked sound better with sub on and I had Axe-Fx cabs on. Vocal thru EV was very clear; both guitar/Axefx and vocal were distinctive but at the same time blending well in the mix.

By comparison with QSC K8, EV would deliver comparable quality and output, but they are lighter, smaller, loud enough for me. Sub would be required for either and savings on EV would help me to get a decent subwoofer. Pair of ZXA1 could be substantial in certain application as basement/ garage setup or small venue, and can be used as stage monitors on bigger setup.

vo.van said:
By comparison with QSC K8, EV would deliver comparable quality and output, but they are lighter, smaller, loud enough for me. Sub would be required for either and savings on EV would help me to get a decent subwoofer. Pair of ZXA1 could be substantial in certain application as basement/ garage setup or small venue, and can be used as stage monitors on bigger setup.

so for just a guitar monitor would it be ok without the sub? i cant see needing a sub for guitar.

"Pair of ZXA1 could be substantial in certain application as basement/ garage setup or small venue, and can be used as stage monitors on bigger setup." -- this is good news, I will bump for clarification as to whether a "better" solution is and all EV rig:

ZX-1 + EV subwoofer for mono processing for an AxeFX only rig that can handle any room
-OR-
TWO ZX-1's for most small to medium applications, ZX-1's as personal floor monitors for bigger gigs that include FOH for everyone?

I'd love to have a small, compact, light guitar rig as described by that reviewer of the ZXA-1 on Musicians Friend; a true stereo setup for home/basement/jams/small gigs that can double as personal monitoring to for the bigger stages (that provide FOH).

Back
Top Bottom