Electro-Voice PXM-12MP from KPODJ

Nodean58

Hello. I just received a PXM-12P from KPODJ got a great price $734.77 shipped. Picked up at UPS and I have concerns. The box was old and beat up with a visible opening. I haven't taken it out of the box yet but it is moving around inside considerably. There is no Styrofoam bracing of any kind that I can see from the hole. Has anyone received one similarly? I would assume there should be molded Styrofoam around the speaker. Any insight from those of you who purchased one? Thanks.

That isn't how ElectroVoice ships them. They're a class act and package it very well.

Old and beat up with a visible opening can happen during shipping, but there still should have been a nicely cushioned, custom fit, padding inside.

Styrofoam is not a good choice for a unit that size and weight. It'll work until the box gets banged up and cracks the styrofoam, at which point it begins breaking down until it's reduced to its individual beads which offer no protection. (I used to pack and ship all sizes of various equipment for aerospace and military and we would NEVER use styrofoam or peanuts unless the unit was light and the peanuts were very well compressed.)

Last edited:
That is exactly how I received it unopened. No padding, no Styrofoam. Just a paperbox with a paper frame inside to keep the monitor in the middle. Very cheap packing, but the PXM is fine.

Last edited:
At this stage I believe it would be considered delivered. So, I would have someone video you opening it up and see what the heck is inside. As @Greg Ferguson said it should be well packaged with some sort of high density foam. I would take a very close look at it and see if you can determine whether the speaker looks used or was a demo, etc.. if it looks good you could go about testing it. Does this place rent gear?

Either that or go back to UPS and see if you can reject it. I highly doubt that will be the case.

That isn't how ElectroVoice ships them. They're a class act and package it very well.

Old and beat up with a visible opening can happen during shipping, but there still should have been a nicely cushioned, custom fit, padding inside.

Styrofoam is not a good choice for a unit that size and weight. It'll work until the box gets banged up and cracks the styrofoam, at which point it begins breaking down until it's reduced to its individual beads which offer no protection. (I used to pack and ship all sizes of various equipment for aerospace and military and we would NEVER use Styrofoam or peanuts unless the unit was light and the peanuts were very well compressed.)
Thanks for the feedback. I assume then it is not factory new there is nothing inside and it is moving quite a bit in the box. I don't understand how they could ship it this way?
At this stage I believe it would be considered delivered. So, I would have someone video you opening it up and see what the heck is inside. As @Greg Ferguson said it should be well packaged with some sort of high density foam. I would take a very close look at it and see if you can determine whether the speaker looks used or was a demo, etc.. if it looks good you could go about testing it. Does this place rent gear?

Either that or go back to UPS and see if you can reject it. I highly doubt that will be the case.
I don't know there was another member who recommended KPODJ for pricing so I thought I would give them a try.

Attachments

• IMG_0720(1).jpg
    IMG_0720(1).jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 40
Wow that looks very beat up.

I was going to add that a lot products come with item specific cardboard supports like I think @holgar was referring to. They keep the product in place and secure as long as the integrity of the main box is maintained. I know I would be concerned. EV stuff is built solid so it may have survived.

Edit:
You could try and contact KPODJ and show that photo and see what they have to say.

Wow that looks very beat up.

I was going to add that a lot products come with item specific cardboard supports like I think @holgar was referring to. They keep the product in place and secure as long as the integrity of the main box is maintained. I know I would be concerned. EV stuff is built solid so it may have survived.

Edit:
You could try and contact KPODJ and show that photo and see what they have to say.
Thanks. I sent them an email with the picture.

I bought my PXM-12P new from Sweetwater. I received it brand new in an unopened box. It arrived just as you described. In the factory box with no padding whatsoever. Mine arrived without a scratch on the speaker but the box was scuffed and dusty from the trip.

I bought my PXM-12P new from Sweetwater. I received it brand new in an unopened box. It arrived just as you described. In the factory box with no padding whatsoever. Mine arrived without a scratch on the speaker but the box was scuffed and dusty from the trip.
Ditto

I picked mine up in person from Manchester Music Mill. Still have the packaging, in case I ever want to ship them, it's good.
So the packaging was more substantial like foam or Styrofoam? I have read some other threads with comments that members were less than impressed with the packaging like mine. When you say it's good are you referring to the packaging or the lack of packaging is good because it's a robust product?

So the packaging was more substantial like foam or Styrofoam? I have read some other threads with comments that members were less than impressed with the packaging like mine. When you say it's good are you referring to the packaging or the lack of packaging is good because it's a robust product?
A product with electronics should NEVER slide inside its packaging. Even a well designed and durable piece of equipment should be in packaging that protects it from vibration and slipping/sliding inside its shipping box because abrasion to the finish and damage to knobs and anything protruding can happen. It can also loosen connections.

but it is moving around inside considerably.
That’s why I don’t think it’s the original packaging.

it should be well packaged with some sort of high density foam.
It doesn’t have to be foam, but it does need to stop whatever is packed from vibrating and sliding around and having impact transfer to the contents and damage it. For instance, a bowling ball will not be damaged easily but by rolling around it could break its own box and then be damaged or marked up so they keep it from moving. And the construction of the packaging and padding should be relative to the strength of the contents. A floor monitor doesn’t have moving parts and they’re not overly fragile, so avoiding abrasion and keeping it from sliding around are important.

In this video you can see how the box got beat up traveling and at 2:38 we can kinda see how the top cardboard insert is shaped to fit to hold the unit in place. There’s a matching piece underneath the monitor that isn’t shown, and the two hold the cabinet in place. You can also see the thin wrapping foam that stops abrasions.

In the OP’s situation, that padding can not be seen through the hole in the box isn’t as important as sliding around is.

I would tend to agree
It doesn’t have to be foam, but it does need to stop whatever is packed from vibrating and sliding around and having impact transfer to the contents and damage it. For instance, a bowling ball will not be damaged easily but by rolling around it could break its own box and then be damaged or marked up so they keep it from moving. And the construction of the packaging and padding should be relative to the strength of the contents. A floor monitor doesn’t have moving parts and they’re not overly fragile, so avoiding abrasion and keeping it from sliding around are important.

In this video you can see how the box got beat up traveling and at 2:38 we can kinda see how the top cardboard insert is shaped to fit to hold the unit in place. There’s a matching piece underneath the monitor that isn’t shown, and the two hold the cabinet in place. You can also see the thin wrapping foam that stops abrasions.

In the OP’s situation, that padding can not be seen through the hole in the box isn’t as important as sliding around is.

I wasn’t trying to make any specific claims, but in general I have never received a package that beat up and would be very concerned about all sorts of things.

I wish I had a better photo of the latest large and expensive package I recieved from Sweetwater delivered by FedEx. Basically it was wrapped in the material you can see and then had high density foam on each end (no larger than the clear plastic on the ends) and a piece in the middle. You can’t see but it is sitting in the same amount of foam as the top foam but specifically fitted to the contour of the bottom. The box was taped with strong tape and band straps around the ends and center (I think center). The box was in perfect condition. I dont know if Sweetwater has a special contract with FedEx to make sure fragile and expensive packages don’t get destroyed. Even though some might think it wasn’t packed with enough support, but it was all that was needed to travel across the ocean and then to SW and another couple hundred miles to me. The keyboard was unable to move at all and protected from vibrations.

Basically, it wouldn’t have withstood being speared by a forklift, but I doubt much would protect from that and the cost of the extra weight to pack it that well would be prohibitive. Even though it was almost a $5000 item. All I was trying to get across was that the different types of packaging by Corporations that care has gotten very sophisticated in the last so many years. Where some thought was put into how to use the least amount, but still be supportive. The less waste used considering the chemicals needed to make quality foam is better for the environment. IMG_6746.jpeg

Last edited:
I was going to add that a lot products come with item specific cardboard supports like I think @holgar was referring to. They keep the product in place and secure as long as the integrity of the main box is maintained
Also, I did address this other possibility. I can’t remember for sure, but I think my QSC K12.2’s came packed this way.

A product with electronics should NEVER slide inside its packaging. Even a well designed and durable piece of equipment should be in packaging that protects it from vibration and slipping/sliding inside its shipping box because abrasion to the finish and damage to knobs and anything protruding can happen. It can also loosen connections.

Opened it last night and it was packaged exactly like it is in this video. However, It was pristine. No visible damage and it powered right up. I am surprised given how much it moved in the box. It is built like a tank. Thanks everyone for your feedback and support. Much appreciated.

Here’s a copy/paste of my original post when mine came in. Notice I didn’t say the speaker was sliding around. I said it only had cardboard around it.

“ I received my EV a few days ago and finally set it up last night. My first thought was, meh. After a quick scan of the user manual, I read that EV suggests placing it at least two feet from a wall. Since mine is inches from the wall I tried setting the bass at -2 db. Much better. Now all of my presets sound like I remember.

Another thing. There is absolutely no foam or padding in the shipping box. Literally only a layer of cardboard around it for shipping. This tells me it must be built tough if EV is willing to ship this way. “

Back
Top Bottom