Electric Strings - What are you using?

mwd

Power User
I get hooked on a gauge and brand and I pretty much stay there for decades. In the past 40 years I have pretty much used 2 versions of 1 brand then switched to another brand. In the 80's I used Dean Markley's 9-42 in the yellow pack, then switched to Dean Markley Blue Steel 9-42 then about a decade ago changed to Curt Mangan Pure Nickel and wound up on 9-46 sets.

Just wondering what others are using on their electric guitars, not even so much the gauge but more so the brand and why?

Switched to Stringjoy @ 15 months ago from NYXL. Both are great string sets, but for me Stringjoy just edged out NYXL for the tone and playability I was looking for.

Just Daddario XLs for me. Tried EB slinky’s and like the XL’s better. Tried Elixers and hated them. I mostly play at home, not gigging just occasional jams, live in a dry climate. Strings last me a long time. The problem with this is I don’t change strings often. So when I do the brightness is over the top for a little while.

Tell me about your experience with these - interested.
Always did love the way a new set of Slinkys' felt and sounded, but they didn't last very long. Then I tried Cobalt Slinkys', and even though
they lasted forever, there was always kind of a "stiffness" to them, and they were kind of more bright sounding than I liked. Then I tried some of the Paradigms on a couple of my guitars, and what do you know....there was the new Slinky feel I loved, and so far, they're lasting a looong time! Definitely cost more than regular Slinkys', but worth every penny IMO.

Paradigms when I can get them, they don’t seem to keep good stock in my local stores. I wish I could buy 10 or 12 packs direct.

I am very happy with NYXL and Paradigms. I especially like that I can get the NYXL in a .095-based set which works wonderfully with Stratocaster necks.

Back
Top Bottom