Electric 12-string thoughts?

@Kelleys Heroes What specifically is so different?

Action, playability and pickups I guess. I used the Dano-12 and 660-12 to play a solo on the tune "Eight Miles High". Not note for note, but in that style and spirit, extending and going off a bit. on the 660 I felt like I could play anything and make it work- as fast and clean and sustaining as I could hope for. The Dano sounded sweet on all the rhythm stuff, but fell like like a toy on the complex bits, and it was hard to milk individual notes as I wanted to.

I'll bet some player out there will tell me the error or myways/limitations of knowledge and technique. Do it! I don't have the budget for the 660 and my buddy will not give it to me on permanent loan. LOL

Action, playability and pickups I guess. I used the Dano-12 and 660-12 to play a solo on the tune "Eight Miles High". Not note for note, but in that style and spirit, extending and going off a bit. on the 660 I felt like I could play anything and make it work- as fast and clean and sustaining as I could hope for. The Dano sounded sweet on all the rhythm stuff, but fell like like a toy on the complex bits, and it was hard to milk individual notes as I wanted to.

I'll bet some player out there will tell me the error or myways/limitations of knowledge and technique. Do it! I don't have the budget for the 660 and my buddy will not give it to me on permanent loan. LOL
Was the neck on the 660 wider than on the 330 etc? That would make a nice difference.

Recently recorded and did shows with a Ric 660-12. Far and away a better guitar than the Danelectros and Ric 330-12 guitars I had used previously, but if you are just doing the jangle-strum and arppegio thing those guitars are good enough. the 660 was in a different league in terms of playing solos for my money!
A friend of mine had a 660-12 in the 2005 color of the year. If I'd've had the $$$$ when he sold it, I'd've bought it. Had a 360/12 but traded it in for a 620/12 in a discontinued midnight blue color. Nothing else sounds like 'em, so if you want Byrds/Beatles, you gotta get one....

Having the right Dano-12 is key. I have a Hodad. Compared to their other models it's a lot more playable. Musically "mature."

Japan Strat 12, Charvel Surfcaster12 (old one) or a Warmoth build would be my choice but I really would hardly use it.

Having the right Dano-12 is key. I have a Hodad. Compared to their other models it's a lot more playable. Musically "mature."
I'll keep my eye out, I haven't come across one yet. Unlike 6 string guitars, I will not buy a 12-string without playing it first.

1702732112822.jpeg

It's kind of funny - I agree totally that an electric 12 string is hardly the first guitar you're going to pick up to jam on, but of all the guitars I have owned this would now be getting on to being the one I have had in my possession longest - twice in fact: can't remember why I sold it the first time around but swapping for a truly horrible '73 Strat to get it back must be about the best deal I have ever done! Anyway, '65 Fender Electric XXII - these are (in my humble opinion of course) the best electric 12 string ever made.

Update!
I ended up buying the one I was checking out, a Fender. I made an offer that was what I thought pretty low and it was accepted.
I am still awaiting shipping as it is coming from Canada.
I may not use it a ton but it should be fun to olay with. I may try recreating the Hard Days Night opening chord as my first little project.

Back
Top Bottom