Elden Ring

Ron_R

Power User
Good lord...if you are a fan of Skyrim, this is the 3rd person version. It's crazy good. I'm not a huge fan of the Souls genre of RPG, but this game is AMAZING. I dare you try it and not love it. Double dog dare.

Was just about to post about this. Such a cool game. My coworker is super good at it and is daily talking about all the cool new items and skills and stuff he's discovering. It really is this generation's Skyrim. I just wish some of the bosses weren't so damn hard. It's a thrill to finally beat them (when you do - IF you do) but I'd be willing to trade that for a more accessible experience to see the whole story and side quests.

I also wish this game had a codex with all the weapons, skill, enemies, bosses, etc. you've encountered (with locations) and those you've yet to encounter just represented by ??? like other open-world games do.

I've only dipped my toes in souls type games, a bit o' Bloodborne and the original Demon's Souls. I just don't typically have the patience to figure these games out, but Elden Ring does look really good. It's on the TBP list. Someday...

Was just about to post about this. Such a cool game. My coworker is super good at it and is daily talking about all the cool new items and skills and stuff he's discovering. It really is this generation's Skyrim. I just wish some of the bosses weren't so damn hard. It's a thrill to finally beat them (when you do - IF you do) but I'd be willing to trade that for a more accessible experience to see the whole story and side quests.

I also wish this game had a codex with all the weapons, skill, enemies, bosses, etc. you've encountered (with locations) and those you've yet to encounter just represented by ??? like other open-world games do.

I've only beat the first two main story bosses so far, but there are ways to summon a helper, and also if you use the Spirit Ashes, they both help a lot with the boss fights. One of the Spirit Ashes you get poisons the boss, so you don't even have to go anywhere the boss as it dies towards the end of the fight. Another Spirit Ash bleeds the boss down.

I've only dipped my toes in souls type games, a bit o' Bloodborne and the original Demon's Souls. I just don't typically have the patience to figure these games out, but Elden Ring does look really good. It's on the TBP list. Someday...

I'm with you! I was never really a Souls player. Life is full enough of frustrations! I don't need that in a video game, too, LOL. Elden Ring is very different. If you played Skyrim and enjoyed it like I did, Elden Ring is for you.

I'm not an avid gamer these days but every now and then I dabble. My attention span is just pure shit in my older years. I discovered I like the souls genre when I played Lords of the Fallen then got Bloodborne which I still have barely touched. Now i see Elden Ring which looks amazing though I'm not sure how well it will perform on my non pro PS4 slim. I like 3rd person views also, anything else makes me nauseous. You know you're boomer if that's the case

I'm not an avid gamer these days but every now and then I dabble. My attention span is just pure shit in my older years. I discovered I like the souls genre when I played Lords of the Fallen then got Bloodborne which I still have barely touched. Now i see Elden Ring which looks amazing though I'm not sure how well it will perform on my non pro PS4 slim. I like 3rd person views also, anything else makes me nauseous. You know you're boomer if that's the case

Sort of the same. I don't really have time for it, or at least always feel like I should be doing something else like playing guitar; which I also don't have a lot of time for. I get my gaming in small doses, so usually just want to load up something and shoot bad guys for an hour.

I like racing games, and had hoped to maybe get Gran Tourismo 7 for something new, but looks like they have really jacked up that game. Oh well. Probably for the best.

I play on a non pro PS4 slim and it still looks amazing. The visuals are stunning. My son plays on a high end PC he built, and other than some of the shade lighting, it looks very similar. On a 65" 1080p TV, the game is spectacular.

I've only beat the first two main story bosses so far, but there are ways to summon a helper, and also if you use the Spirit Ashes, they both help a lot with the boss fights. One of the Spirit Ashes you get poisons the boss, so you don't even have to go anywhere the boss as it dies towards the end of the fight. Another Spirit Ash bleeds the boss down.
Yeah, the dog definitely helps for Margit & Godrick. I only found the helper for Godrick after trying him a couple times and getting owned lol. I've since beat quite a few mini bosses and a few named bosses, but I couldn't even tell you where I'm at in the "story" lol.

hoped to maybe get Gran Tourismo 7 for something new, but looks like they have really jacked up that game.
Another game ruined by a grind designed only to guide you to microtransactions :(

You know you are old when you're only waiting for the next GTA to come out. Other than that I lack interest in gaming.

ah dammit I'm gonna end up buying this game, aren't I...

The game is hard, but if you approach it the right way, it is silly fun to be had. You have a lot of exploring to do, and can avoid hard fights in the open world. Eventually you do have to fight "story bosses" and those are very tough. But if you leveled up, summon a companion and a Spirit Ash to help you, they are manageable for the first couple of bosses. The game does scale up in difficulty as you go through the story, and you die. A LOT. But I do find it rewarding and just plain fun. Watch some YT vids about the game and maybe wait a bit until the price comes down.

I have 60 hours in and am probably at the mid game. I suspect the consensus over time will be “great game, maybe too much content.” Which is basically unheard of these days. I don’t know how FromSoft does it.

I finished the game 3 times already and got the 1000g . Nearly 200 hours . Best game of the year . Love the dark souls too

Back
Top Bottom