EL34 tubes for Rectifier

Rock Chalk

Fractal Fanatic
So I just recently discovered how much the Recto amp kicks butt thanks to LT. I was perusing the Mesa site and noticed the specs for the
Recto say 6L6 or EL34 for the power tubes.

What I'm wondering is, if I want to see what the Recto sounds like with EL34 tubes, what other parameters need to be changed, if any, other than
the tube type, to give real world results?

So I just recently discovered how much the Recto amp kicks butt thanks to LT. I was perusing the Mesa site and noticed the specs for the
Recto say 6L6 or EL34 for the power tubes.

What I'm wondering is, if I want to see what the Recto sounds like with EL34 tubes, what other parameters need to be changed, if any, other than
the tube type, to give real world results?
I remember a post a while back from FAS
Going from 6l6 to EL34 you reduce the HF and LF Resonance
The opposite if going 34 to 6L6 you would increase the HF / LF resonance slightly
In the speaker page of the amp block

If they are anything like the Mark series amps, I enjoy the output of the EL34 a bit more for smaller rooms. The 6L6 sound more present and bolder, with stronger cleans.

I remember a post a while back from FAS
The opposite if going 34 to 6L6 you would increase the HF / LF resonance slightly
In the speaker page of the amp block
I’ll give it a try……..thanks!

Well, I tried it.....the difference is very subtle. The jury is still out on whether or not I like it.

One thing I discovered is, you have to turn off Auto Dyna-Cab Imp..........or it will just reset your new Reso settings......biggrin.gif

You'll get a lot more mileage out of changing speakers / IR's than changing tubes. Based on my experiences swapping power tubes in various heads, it has been my finding that it's almost always best to stick with what the manufacturer decided on. It's also cheaper 😅.

You'll get a lot more mileage out of changing speakers / IR's than changing tubes. Based on my experiences swapping power tubes in various heads, it has been my finding that it's almost always best to stick with what the manufacturer decided on. It's also cheaper 😅.
Cliff's "Why Power Tubes Sound Different" tech note covers this nicely and probably was the source for changing the HF and LF resonance.

I’ve already found the Dyna-Cabs I like with the Recto….this is to see if I like 6L6 or EL34 tubes better in it…the manufacturer offers both.
Besides, it‘s free to try in the Axe Fx. icon_wink.gif

this is to see if I like 6L6 or EL34 tubes better in it
I suspect you won't find much difference between them. I've swapped tubes several times in different models in the Fractal, and that change didn't really make a difference. I think Cliff's comment that we have to change the resonances is dead on, but finding that information is harder than finding out what tubes they used. :-/

Well, the manufacturer only offers 6L6 in the Rectifier amps. Yes you can put EL34 in it, but that wasn't the original spec. from the factory.
No, if you read my op, it says right on the amp features page for the Rectifier on the Mesa site …6L6 or EL34.

I suspect you won't find much difference between them. I've swapped tubes several times in different models in the Fractal, and that change didn't really make a difference. I think Cliff's comment that we have to change the resonances is dead on, but finding that information is harder than finding out what tubes they used. :-/
Exactly. The time is better spent elsewhere.
No, if you read my op, it says right on the amp features page for the Rectifier on the Mesa site …6L6 or EL34.
Show me where they stock EL34 Rectifiers from an online retailer...I'll wait...If you can get it, it's only from a custom order.

Show me where they stock EL34 Rectifiers from an online retailer...I'll wait...If you can get it, it's only from a custom order.
Show me where I ever said from an online retailer…..I’ll wait.

So you couldn't find it online I guess. Surprise surprise. Ok, now, show me proof from your local Guitar Center or mom and pop where you can buy a new EL34 Rectifier in store.
Not sure what your problem is, but since you’re obviously out to crap all over my thread….welcome to my ignore list. Problem Solved..biggrin.gif

That's definitely true that Mesa doesn't deliver new rectifier amps with EL34 tubes... but wasn't Rock Chalk just trying to say he wanted to know what one sounded like with EL34s since they can in fact take them?

Not trying to defend one side or another... but IDK... Seems something was "lost in translation" here

Back
Top Bottom