EHX 44 Magnum Power Amp

jimosity

OK - So I got an EHX 44 Magnum Power Amp for xmas.
This guy is freakin' awesome.

I was just going to use it for quick band practices with my Line 6 M9 into it, then into a 2x12 cab.
Did a 3 hour band practice with it last week and it was incredible. SUPER loud and I didn't have to crank it past 9 o clock!!! And we practice loud as hell (80's hair band music) with a drummer that hits super hard.

This little guy weighs almost nothing. About a 1/4 of the weight of a Boss DS-1 if that gives you a general idea.
Obviously the M9 isn't going to come close to my AxeFX, but lugging my AxeFX/VHT 2902/Wireless rig around to gigs is starting to wear on my back. So, yeah, my back says "Hey AxeFX, let me introduce you to the EHX Magnum 44..."
They have a date later this week together, we'll see, I expect greatness.

I just had an MRI on my back and have a shifted L-5 in my spine so your review definitely has my interest. I may start jamming with a cover band (Classic Rock) I'm thinking my G-flex plus one of those 44's (heck I could use 2 in stereo as my cab is stereo) might be a good investment...

Oh yea, I have one that I use to save my back too!! haha :D it's loud as HELL! There's also a 22 caliber available. The sucky thing is that it DOES color your tone a bit, and breaks up somewhere around 11 o clock. The breakup sounds ok, but when you're using axe-fx already, it's not quite something you'd want all the time. But don't get me wrong, even at 11 o clock that thing will blow your socks OFF!!! At that volume you can MORE than compete with your loud drummer. Below 11, you're still sounding good and clean enough to be miked onstage or for everyday use. It comes with it's own power supply tho, which is a 3000mA adapter....my only concern if that if that goes bad, finding another can be an issue - most adapters only got till 1000mA. Still, at that price you CANNOT go wrong! ;)

I don't have much to compare it too Soundwise. I'm sure it does color the sound, but in a way I like. It could easily do a Mic'd gig, and I have little doubt it could keep up with most drummers without breaking up (probably not hard metal.) The thing has punch and can feed my 2 1x10's in parallel as well as a 4x12 I have. I think it is the best backup option there is. Completely tiny and lightweight and sounds good. I'm sure most rackmount power amps will sound better, but can't even touch the portability.

Back
Top Bottom