EHX 44. Magnum Power Amp REVIEW.

MaxTaylorGrant

Inspired
As a new Axe-Fx owner I’ve found my whole guitar experience has improved greatly. From simply jamming at home, to band rehearsals, to playing live in front of an audience, every single facet of my playing has seen an improvement. In each of these situations, there has always been one constant: I’ve run direct to either my studio monitors, rehearsal PA, or to FOH, using Cab sims. Without a doubt this is by far the best sounding and most configurable way, for me personally, to use the Axe. However, one problem arises. I live in Glasgow, Scotland, a city with a legendary live music scene and more small venues than I dare to count which leads to one thing in regards to live sound engineers; quantity over quality.

9/10 of these engineers, when asked, are happy to run you direct to the FOH and, by all means, they do a damn good job of delivering your tone intact to the audience, but at a cost. In my experience, monitoring for myself and my bandmates has suffered greatly as these engineers are unwilling to run too much guitar through whatever monitoring set up is available as they are used to letting the cabs cover this in a traditional set up.

So, I found myself wishing to reintroduce cabs into my live experience and, having read through this forum and many others (yes, I’m a slut, but you know I will always love you first and foremost, don’t you?), I decided that the way forward was to run OUT 1 to FOH and OUT 2 to a power amp and into my cab. This lead me onto the vast and varied topic of power amps, a mystical land full of fairly expensive toys which stoke the very fires of my GAS with some very shiny coal. For my purposes, I wouldn’t be relying on my cab to sound incredible by any means so, after much deliberation, I decided that I NEEDED a power amp now and that it did not need to be expensive, as I am a poor student with limited funds!

I happened across the 44 Magnum in my local music store (Merchant City Music for any of my Scottish brethren, classy establishment!) and, after more reading and research, decided I would try it out and see if it could serve my purpose satisfactorily.

Now, my criteria were by no means a great ask but they were strict. This thing had to: 1. Be load enough to compete with my drummer. 2. Be light enough to lug around for practice and gigs. and 3. Fit my budget.

Having ticked numbers 2 and 3 right off the bat, weighing less than a photo of itself and costing less than £100, I was reasonably pleased although dubious as to it’s ability to live up to number 1. My drummer, like so many others, does not do quiet. He is a beast born of thunder and noise and if 44 watts couldn’t compete this would be a 100% deal breaker. I was wrong not to trust the bold claims of the staff. Oh so wrong.

Not only is this thing loud enough to compete with a drummer, it’s loud enough to compete with my whole band! Even better than just that, it sounds awesome, very clear and conducive to the tones I was trying to achieve, cleans are clear and bell like and rhythm tones are warm and deep yet punchy and full, my leads sing with a cutting and yet warm character. I was in awe and, indeed, sold. 30 minutes later, I was at home setting my new purchase up with my Zilla 2x12.

Now, one might ask, does this performance carry for rehearsals and gigs? The answer is yes on both accounts. I can’t think of enough good words about how loud this thing is and, although it does colour my tone ever so slightly, I like what it adds.
So, in summary, go buy one. At this price point it’s silly not to, even if it’s only for backup purposes. It weighs nothing, in fact it’s one of the lightest pedals I’ve ever come across, it’s cheap, and it’s functional.

Apologies for going on a little, it’s late and I’m pleased with my new toy!

Tl;Dr: Loud, Cheap, Light. Buy one now.

Back
Top Bottom