Egnater SL2X ch2 Patch

speedloader

Inspired
So with the Axe 3 and all the but-how-real-is-the-2 polemic, I decided to resurrect my Randall RM50 and see how close I can currently get with the AX8.

The RM50 is loaded with the SL2X module, channel B. It's an early SL2X, hosting two tung sols 12ax7. The RM50 is also loaded with two tung sols 5881. It has some low gain Jan Philips NOS in the input stage and probably in the fx loop. By reputation, the RM50 is a bit tighter and clearer than the MOD 50.

The AX8 was plugged into a Seymour Duncan PS700. Both rigs in the same cab loaded with V30s.

Since the QuickRod had the reputation to sound very close to the SL2, I used the Rod OD2-2. I ended up with very similar tones and front settings. The amps have some differences though. Fundamentally, they both have loga presence controls that need to be pushed past 9 to deliver modern tones, instead of relying on treble. They both have similar bottoms, fat but solid, and mids . Yet the treble of the SL2X has a much greater range past noon. The RM50 also has a depth control and its poweramp is much cleaner, only impacting the tone after noon.

Since I'm still in fw 9.02, I'll specify the advanced changes here, just to be sure. Some tweakings are insignificant, probably placebo, some are essential and not placebo at all.

Basic - Drive 7.5 Bass 6.5 - Mid 4.33 (x) 6 (y) - Treb 6 - Pres 9.5 - Mast 2.2

GEQ - 8 bands +0.75 at 2kHz
Preamp - Hi Cut Freq 30000 Hz
Preamp - Crunch - 10%
Sply - Sag 1.7
Sply - Power Type DC
Dynamics - Preamp CF Hardness 6.66

Speaker

LRF 130
LRQ 1.4
LR 7
HF 850
HFS 4
HR 8
XF Drive 0.75

I don't know if the RM50 is the DC type but it really helped and I found most AC models benefit from it in terms of realism, when I play with a cab. In the speaker part, the low and high res are pretty high, with a low Hi Freq, but it is necessary to unveil the tone, which is the case with most if not all amp models, imho. Comparing to a real amp confirms the trend.

It's not exactly the same but very close. I guess I could get closer if I could A/B both instantly but I need a few seconds to swap the rigs. I use the SL2X with Bright 2 and Bass boost 1. For no bass boost, try the Cut switch.

I'll mic the cab later and add a comparison. In front of the speaker I can still hear the real amp distortion being a bit more complex and pleasing. To me, the difference is negligible. Filing the gap is certainly welcome, but keeping the gap is also certainly a trivial matter. It's 95% here, maybe even closer, and I don't think that tiny gap will be completely filled in the 3rd gen or even the 4th. For your own sanity, don't obsess over those details.

DSC01114.jpg

Attachments

• EGGIE SL2X.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 57
Cool, i miss my Eggie M4 sometimes :) close but maybe some booster/drive to get that little singing pitch harmonics to scream a little more.

Back
Top Bottom