Effects Layout Question

Hi all, I'm starting to delve more into the layouts on the FM9.

Currently I've just been going between the Standard Presets and Scenes layout (with me adding a tuner on hold function to the scene 8 switch being my only custom).
But now thinking about the Effects layouts for more flexibility.

Is there a way to customize the effects layouts to only assign FX that are in my preset? Eg in the effects layout footswitch 1 is phaser, but I don't have phaser in this preset so this footswitch is irrelevant.

So say my preset has 1 comp, drive, reverb and delay for simplicity, I'd want only these viewable in the layout - but in a different present with 1 comp, drive, reverb, delay, phaser, rotary, I'd want these viewable in the layout. Is this possible to be dynamic?

Not a major issue if not, but I'd definitely get more use out of this layout if this is how it was set up.

I think you need to look at "Per Preset" setup that should get you where you want to be. Rosh Roslin as well as a host of others has a grip of vids that cover the basics for each function as a topic!

Last edited:
Cool thanks, that explains the PP functions pretty well - something I haven't really looked at, and would be a cool way to get that Effects view as I'd want
But this would have to be manual for each preset. Would be cool to have view this dynamic - and there's a limit to PP functions, so you have a limit to what you can do.

Last edited:
I am a new FM9 user and I am just starting to learn PP functions. I know what you're saying about having switches tied only to what effects are in the current preset globally, there is some advantage in that. I would think this would be very difficult to implement though, not knowing which effects are going to be in a given preset - like: is it delay 1 or 2, or both? Do you want a separate pedal for each, or combined? I'm unsure if that's possible or not.

There is a distinct advantage to having them per preset though. You have the freedom to make pedal assignments unique to any preset. You might have different needs based on each specific preset.

Still trying to wrap my mind around the possibilities - lots to learn! :cool:

^ Yeah for sure understand the dynamic way would be a lot harder to implement.

It's all good - now can think more on what is beneficial globally vs PP to get to my ideal layout(s).
OMGF9 also looks really good in some ways, but I don't like that you have to press a button to toggle between scenes 1-4, 5-9.

Almost would be looking for a hybrid of the standard layouts and the OMGF9

I think you need to look at "Per Preset" setup that should get you where you want to be. Rosh Roslin as well as a host of others has a grip of vids that cover the basics for each function as a topic!

Thanks for this. Can we say that PP would work within the Effects/More FX layouts as well, compared to the Preset layout as illustrated in the video?

Thanks for this. Can we say that PP would work within the Effects/More FX layouts as well, compared to the Preset layout as illustrated in the video?
They can, but you have an additional step of creating the per-preset override for whichever switch you want in those layouts. I don't see any added benefit in doing that, so I rewired my layouts to point to the Per-Preset layout instead of Effects.

Now, when switching to see the individual effect blocks I've set up, every block that has a per-preset assignment is visible in the layout, rather than having gaps. It's just a more efficient way of doing it I think.

Hi all, I'm starting to delve more into the layouts on the FM9.

Currently I've just been going between the Standard Presets and Scenes layout (with me adding a tuner on hold function to the scene 8 switch being my only custom).
But now thinking about the Effects layouts for more flexibility.

Is there a way to customize the effects layouts to only assign FX that are in my preset? Eg in the effects layout footswitch 1 is phaser, but I don't have phaser in this preset so this footswitch is irrelevant.

So say my preset has 1 comp, drive, reverb and delay for simplicity, I'd want only these viewable in the layout - but in a different present with 1 comp, drive, reverb, delay, phaser, rotary, I'd want these viewable in the layout. Is this possible to be dynamic?

Not a major issue if not, but I'd definitely get more use out of this layout if this is how it was set up.
If there are blocks that you use in every preset (Comp 1, Drive 1, Reverb 1, Delay 1), assign them globally. Use the Per-Preset Placeholder for blocks that are less commonly used between presets.

I use an FC-6 with a 2-button external switch and my effects layouts are a combination of Global and Per-Preset. Blocks that are in each of my presets are Drive 1, Delay 1+2 and Reverb 1+2. Effects that are typically always on, like Delay 1 and Reverb 1, are in the second effects layout and effects like Drive 1, Delay 2 and Reverb 2 that are engaged as needed are in the first effects layout. The other global switches I have are a Boost (Control Switch 1) and Scene Toggle 1/2, which are also in the first effects layout.

All other switches in the second and third effects layouts are assigned as Per-Preset Placeholders. Using the EZ Mode in Axe/FM Edit makes it easy to know which Per-Preset number a switch is assigned to when it needs to be edited

They can, but you have an additional step of creating the per-preset override for whichever switch you want in those layouts. I don't see any added benefit in doing that, so I rewired my layouts to point to the Per-Preset layout instead of Effects.

Now, when switching to see the individual effect blocks I've set up, every block that has a per-preset assignment is visible in the layout, rather than having gaps. It's just a more efficient way of doing it I think.
That seems more efficient. Most of each of my layouts has a hold function which sends the current layout to the PP layout.
Is the PP layout global, or a dedicated PP for each preset? I've got my OFM9G layout 4 and 5 set up for FX/FX More and my PP layout on layout 7.
I understand that FX are global. Am wondering if the PP layout would be as well if they're accessed from a layout, or if it were possible to make it true PP with the Edit Links feature.

Is the PP layout global, or a dedicated PP for each preset? I've got my OFM9G layout 4 and 5 set up for FX/FX More and my PP layout on layout 7.
All layouts are global. Per-Preset Overrides allow you to override the global setting of a switch in a layout on a per-preset basis by assigning a particular definition to that switch.

Once you've assigned Per-Preset definitions for the blocks…
Screenshot 2022-11-07 at 11.33.11 AM.png
then those can be assigned as overrides to the global layouts using Per-Preset Placeholders…
Screenshot 2022-11-07 at 11.35.46 AM.png
Notice in the above screenshot, both the TAP and HOLD definitions are the same. If you define Hold actions in the FC Per-Preset page (the first screenshot), you'll need to define it in the HOLD otherwise the switch's Hold action won't fire.

The PER-PRESET layout is global, with placeholders predefined, so by assigning Per-Preset block definitions, when you switch to that layout it will automatically pick them up and use them. The end result is a dynamically updating effects layout, rather than one that is static and often is not in sync with the blocks that are in the current layout.

I changed my layouts so that instead of jumping to the Effects layout, those particular switches now go to the Per-Preset layout.

All layouts are global. Per-Preset Overrides allow you to override the global setting of a switch in a layout on a per-preset basis by assigning a particular definition to that switch.

Once you've assigned Per-Preset definitions for the blocks…
View attachment 110841
then those can be assigned as overrides to the global layouts using Per-Preset Placeholders…
View attachment 110842
Notice in the above screenshot, both the TAP and HOLD definitions are the same. If you define Hold actions in the FC Per-Preset page (the first screenshot), you'll need to define it in the HOLD otherwise the switch's Hold action won't fire.

The PER-PRESET layout is global, with placeholders predefined, so by assigning Per-Preset block definitions, when you switch to that layout it will automatically pick them up and use them. The end result is a dynamically updating effects layout, rather than one that is static and often is not in sync with the blocks that are in the current layout.

I changed my layouts so that instead of jumping to the Effects layout, those particular switches now go to the Per-Preset layout.
Now that you've got the Per-Preset layout assigned, do you even need FX / FX More? If no, what do you have these 2 (layouts 4 & 5) doing?

Am not quite clear on your 2nd to last paragraph...is it possible to create Per-Presets for individual presets/scenes, or more accurately, once they're assigned in Layout 6 (yours) are they meant to be used with other presets (e.g. dynamic for changing presets)?

Last edited:
Play with them, you'll figure it out.
Thanks. (You could answer yes or no, and I'd be happy without the added explanation.) :)

EDIT: Apologies for my not reading this thread in entirety. There are glimpses of how the Per-Preset features could be used for individual presets, but no one has yet verified that the Per-Preset layout becomes dynamic for each preset that utilizes Per-Preset. Hinted at it, yes. Verified will require some time with the FM9.

There are logistic problems for setting up Per-Preset on the actual preset if you've got an FM9 (running out of footswitches, for example).

It may make more sense to just use the Per-Preset layout and use the per-presets by sequential number, attaching them to the particular preset, scene, or effect desired, with whatever parameter the FM9-Edit will allow.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom