Effect pedal as volume and wah

gaaarfild

I used to have a BOSS GT-1000 unit and it's very convenient because it has a built-in effect pedal. Now I want to buy my own FM9 instead finally but I need an effect pedal. I want to use an EV-1 but in a bit specific way.
By default, it must act as a volume pedal, but when activated with a toe - it must work as Wah. Is it possible to do something like that? Or I will need 2 pedals for this?

The EV pedals have no switch, so there's no option to switch that way.

You can assign an onboard or external switch to do something like that although you'll have to edit the presets for that.

Depending on where you want your Volume block placed, it could be as simple as using them with a Multiplexer block.

The EV pedals have no switch, so there's no option to switch that way.

You can assign an onboard or external switch to do something like that although you'll have to edit the presets for that.

Depending on where you want your Volume block placed, it could be as simple as using them with a Multiplexer block.

Ok, I see an issue that I don't know how to solve. I want it to be enabled as an Effect without changing the Scene and Scene layout.
I want to see all my Scene selections on Footswitches and just attach a Wah block and detach a Volume block with one specific Footswitch.
And I can't find a solution to this. One footswitch can't change the MUX block so I can't reroute on a FS press. Or I'm wrong?

You might be able to try a footswitch with an effect channel toggle (A/B), where one channel is a volume, the other a wah. Other members, verification on this, plz?

Ok, I see an issue that I don't know how to solve. I want it to be enabled as an Effect without changing the Scene and Scene layout.
I want to see all my Scene selections on Footswitches and just attach a Wah block and detach a Volume block with one specific Footswitch.
And I can't find a solution to this. One footswitch can't change the MUX block so I can't reroute on a FS press. Or I'm wrong?

Abort! I found the solution. I just switched the channel with an FS for the MUX. And in the channels, I used different rows to route the signal.

You might be able to try a footswitch with an effect channel toggle (A/B), where one channel is a volume, the other a wah. Other members, verification on this, plz?
No... Channels are subsets of blocks.

There's no single block that has Wah and Volume.

You can have wah and volume block in series. Bind the Bypass on each of them to the same Control Switch inverting the min/max values so when one is bypassed the other isn’t. Bind that Control Switch to a Pre-Preset switch as latching and done!

You can have wah and volume block in series. Bind the Bypass on each of them to the same Control Switch inverting the min/max values so when one is bypassed the other isn’t. Bind that Control Switch to a Pre-Preset switch as latching and done!
That works, too...

Feel free but that falls completely out of Fractal's paradigm, so I wouldn't expect it to happen.
Why would it be out of the paradigm? I often see blocks that do more than one thing like MultiDelays or overdrive effects in the amp block.

In the end, I did it this way:
I put the wah block at the beginning and the volume block at the end of the chain.
And just created different scenes. So technically, I have some scenes with WAH and some with volume. Before I was trying with switching the channels. But this produces a gap when switching. Unfortunately, I can't afford even a nanosecond of a gap. And also I needed a volume pedal in the end and wah in the beginning. So I end up just using one channel on every block for every scene in my preset. And just wiring blocks and bypassing them with thru or mute when necessary.

Last edited:
Why would it be out of the paradigm? I often see blocks that do more than one thing like MultiDelays or overdrive effects in the amp block.
No, you don't.

MultiDelay is just subsets of similar types of effect.

There are no Drive blocks in the Amp block. There is the EQ of some drives in the Boost section of the Amp, but that's not a drive.

A Wah and a Volume are completely different effects.

A Wah and a Volume are completely different effects.

Well, they are, but at the same time, they are typically operated by the same type of expression pedal. I don't know why would you put yourself in a box that doesn't exist. It's perfectly possible to make such a block. And I don't see any violations. It will only make the gear better, not worse.

Back
Top Bottom