EBtech Line level switcher with Axefx Outputs

Weg

Hi guys, Im using output 1 for headphone out to my IEMs and Output 2 for FOH which leaves me with outputs 3 and 4 to go my poweramp/cab (Orange pedal baby/Hook 1x12).

The output level of 3 and 4 are -10 ( I think) and so Im having to turn the power amp pretty high to get a suitable live volume.

I had this kicking around from years ago Ebtech Line Level shifter (cant post link to it) which is a little passive box that changes signal levels from -10 to +4 and visa versa - the one with the red and white writing on if you are googling.

Im using 30cm TS cables for the connections to and from.

It works in terms of putting the signal level up but Id like to know how much if any, I am affecting the sound by doing this. My knowledge of transformers is minimal so while I understand the basic concepts of coil winds stepping the voltage, I dont know how this relates to the things we care about like frequency and dynamic responses.

I can't A/B them as the process of switching cables/spl far exceeds the 1-2 seconds you have to compare things critically.

Yes I can use my ears and decide if I like it or not but I am interested in the electrical answer to this by comparing such a process to, say, switching from -10 to +4 in the Axe itself for outputs 1/2.

Thanks!

I always found the Ebtechs sucked tone. I know it's supposed to be impossible but they did. It was noticeable in the higher frequencies as trixdropd has pointed out

The output level of 3 and 4 are -10 ( I think) and so Im having to turn the power amp pretty high to get a suitable live volume.
Out 3&4 are Line Level outputs.
With the PB volume set low, turn the AxeFx (3or4, whichever you're using) out volume knob all the way up then turn the PB volume up to the listening level you want.

I had this kicking around from years ago Ebtech Line Level shifter (cant post link to it) which is a little passive box that changes signal levels from -10 to +4 and visa versa - the one with the red and white writing on if you are googling.
Take this out of the chain, it shouldn't be needed.

Edit: I'm not familiar with the pedal Baby, does it have a line level input? if so, use that.

Last edited:
Orange doesn't really give any specs for the input of the Pedal Baby, so who knows. I'd wager it's instrument level which is close to -10 dBV.

As long as you're not clipping the output, you can always boost the OUT block level if you need more juice down stream.

Thanks guys.

I do have headroom enough in my patches to boost the software out a little on the output 3 block before clipping so I'll do that. Im running into a 16 ohm cab so the pedal baby is already running at a lower level (I think they quote 70w into a 16 ohm cab). Technically I could just use Output 2 for the Orange and leave the lower level output for FOH to deal with using some DI boxes.

With the EBtech unit in the chain, it does seem to loose "something", that lovely ineffable quality that can only be used poetically.

FWIW I have been so impressed with the overall sound and feel of the Orange into my cab that I am selling my Boogie Lonestar. I play breakup gain very dynamically and it does that really well. Far better than any class D stuff I have tried. (Hijacking my own thread)

Does anyone know how the outputs 1 and 2 deal with their switch from +4 to -10? Is it just a boost in the software or is there some sort of physical switching?

Being that it’s a passive transformer, you’re almost certainly losing top end

DACs, op amps, nevermind the amp and speakers, all have bandwidth limitations. Ebtech gives the following spec for the line shifter:

“Frequency response 10Hz to 40kHz plus or minus 1dB into 10kOhm load”

Assuming that’s accurate, I doubt too many guitarists are going to have an issue missing frequencies above 40kHz.

Try putting a buffer before and after the ebtech. I used to use one in an old 80s style huge rack rig. I vaguely remember losing high end or something and after research trial and error, buffered the ebtech. It was fine after that if my memory serves me.

Back
Top Bottom