Ebtech hum eliminator causes tone loss

sarge

Power User
Man I am bumbed. I thought I had solved my hum issues. Got the ebtech hum eliminator
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ebtech-2-Ch ... 1124324.gc

If you guys plan on buying it, make sure you buy it from a place like GC with a good return policy. Perhaps it is just mine, but I tested both channels individually and they both had the same tone loss.

I used it on the connections between the ultra and the amps input and between the effects send and the ultra. When I tested it initially I was using distortion. No hum. I was pumped!

Well, I decided this past weekend I was going to perfect my 4 cable method patches.

So I started with a patch that contained only an effects loop.
I connected from my guitar to the axe fx, output 2 to the hum eliminator input and the hum eliminator output to my guitar amp input. NOTHING in the loop.

The idea was just to set the input and output to the right level so that I was getting the exact same tone with no effects as I would with the axe fx not connected to the amp.

As i tried dialing it in I found the clean channel to be slightly muffled. It wasn't a huge difference. Not sure a non musician would notice unless I pointed it out. But anyone who drops thousands of dollars on guitar equipment would notice. I no longer had my awesome thick chimey clean. The chime was gone. I tweaked and tweaked and tweaked and just could not get it to sound as good as going straight into the amp.

I was thinking I had to have messed up some setting in the Axe FX. I mean going from output 1 into my Mackie power amp, it sounds flawless. So I figured I had messed up something with the output 2 setting.

Well, as I started to create a post here to ask you guys about it, it occurred to me that it could possible be the hum eliminator

So I set my amp up again for a killer clean. I then plugged my guitar into the hum eliminator with the output going to the amp input. There was that exact same tone loss.

So now I am back to square 1. I have this 50$ tone sucking box that I probably won't be able to sell, and I am unable to use the 4 cable method with my Electradyne.

I am probably going to try the walwart hum elinator this weekend. I will plug my furman into it and plug my amp and axe fx into the furman. If that doesn't work, I'm figuring it just wasn't meant to be (the 4 cable method. Still keeping the ultra. Just use it with a power amp and cab). And I'll have to go out and drop the money on a some pedals to use with the Electradyne(killer amp if you haven't tried it)

It could be worse though. I was scared the tone loss was coming from the ultra. I definately prefer it come from the 50$ device then the 2000$ device.

sarge said:
Man I am bumbed. I thought I had solved my hum issues. Got the ebtech hum eliminator
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ebtech-2-Ch ... 1124324.gc

If you guys plan on buying it, make sure you buy it from a place like GC with a good return policy. Perhaps it is just mine, but I tested both channels individually and they both had the same tone loss.

I used it on the connections between the ultra and the amps input and between the effects send and the ultra. When I tested it initially I was using distortion. No hum. I was pumped!

Well, I decided this past weekend I was going to perfect my 4 cable method patches.

So I started with a patch that contained only an effects loop.
I connected from my guitar to the axe fx, output 2 to the hum eliminator input and the hum eliminator output to my guitar amp input. NOTHING in the loop.

The idea was just to set the input and output to the right level so that I was getting the exact same tone with no effects as I would with the axe fx not connected to the amp.

As i tried dialing it in I found the clean channel to be slightly muffled. It wasn't a huge difference. Not sure a non musician would notice unless I pointed it out. But anyone who drops thousands of dollars on guitar equipment would notice. I no longer had my awesome thick chimey clean. The chime was gone. I tweaked and tweaked and tweaked and just could not get it to sound as good as going straight into the amp.

I was thinking I had to have messed up some setting in the Axe FX. I mean going from output 1 into my Mackie power amp, it sounds flawless. So I figured I had messed up something with the output 2 setting.

Well, as I started to create a post here to ask you guys about it, it occurred to me that it could possible be the hum eliminator

So I set my amp up again for a killer clean. I then plugged my guitar into the hum eliminator with the output going to the amp input. There was that exact same tone loss.

So now I am back to square 1. I have this 50$ tone sucking box that I probably won't be able to sell, and I am unable to use the 4 cable method with my Electradyne.

I am probably going to try the walwart hum elinator this weekend. I will plug my furman into it and plug my amp and axe fx into the furman. If that doesn't work, I'm figuring it just wasn't meant to be (the 4 cable method. Still keeping the ultra. Just use it with a power amp and cab). And I'll have to go out and drop the money on a some pedals to use with the Electradyne(killer amp if you haven't tried it)

It could be worse though. I was scared the tone loss was coming from the ultra. I definately prefer it come from the 50$ device then the 2000$ device.

I have found the same thing with the ebtech a long time ago (guitar - ebtech - amp). However, if I went guitar-amp-loop out-ebteh the tone loss was not there. The Ebtech works fine for some things. Others it is not so good. I found the big shot A/B/Y with ground lift, and iso switch worked better in front of an amp.

That being said, you should be able to cut one end of the shield on an unbalanced cable to get rid of the hum.

Back
Top Bottom