EB Volume pedal rework

carydad

Inspired
I'd been happy enough with the results from just hooking up a standard EB volume as an expression pedal. After reading some stuff here and someone posting a link the Mouser for the parts, I figured I'd try a couple and see. I had already tried that cable answer-and though it was an improvement, I wouldn't call it perfect.

So I ordered a couple pots, and ripped open the first pedal. No problem coming apart(tear down is always easier). Took off the 2 screws for the connections, the 2 holding in the metal slap that holds the pot and unwrapped the string. All good. Pull the pot, inserted the new one-didnt fit. Nothing is ever easy. So-off to the garage to widen the whole. Soft metal, since my crappy drill and crappier bit got through it okay. Put on the pot, the barrel spool-and cut off the excess with the dremel cutter wheel. Did the rethread(nice vid on youtube for this-crochet hook is nice). Soldered on the brown, red and orange wires and hooked it up to the MFC. Did the recal from the MFC and boom, works like a champ. Night and day. Actually feels like a wah now.

That wasnt bad, so now pedal number 2. Revisit that "nothing ever easy" comment. Again, the pot mounting metal square hole is too small-same procedure. Installed the pot-and the dang barrel spool thingy is too small to fit over the shaft. WTH? Back to the garage, widen it out slighting, and rebuild it as before(thanks for soft metal). Reconfig as above w/MFC. And for the first time, I have a lovely volume swell option that I was lacking. Important for me, because I fade in violin in a collective soul song, and it was pretty nearly just on/off before, either way I had the cable. Perfect now.

So just a heads up that if you are on the fence, yes it works, yes it is worth it, and yes-you may have a couple of small hurdles.

I have an EB Jr and I was just going to do the mod, then I saw a video about that, there is a switch inside that turns it into linear.
(Facepalm).
Switched it, but still didn't feel right, so just for "why not" I switched up the cable plugs . (Facepalm 2)
It works great without the mod!

This is what I was saying elsewhere. Switching the plugs worked great for me. Currently I'm not using it because I have two Boss FV-500s and a Mission SP-1, but if I need a fourth expression pedal the EB works great. Mine is the original, pre jr model.

Switching the plugs went from horrible to passable. Mine have those orange on one side and grey on the other side cable plugs. So I wrote in sharpie on the bottom which one works so I dont waste time setting up. I didnt even know about the switch until I took it apart. I have three of these things. One 25K(no switch) and two...not, that have the switch-I havent noticed the switch doing much. Before or after. The site says "The potentiometer has a 250kOhm resistance suitable for the audio path of passive instruments only. Behind the jack area under the footplate is a taper switch, which provides the user two distinct volume swell rates." I need to mess with that again now that the pot is linear. I dont think it magically changes the pot from audio taper to linear, but it must do...something?

Back
Top Bottom