EB Jr As Expression Pedal (Limited Sweep)

oddb0d

Inspired
I know there was a lot of discussion on this topic with the old forum, some people seem to have no problems and then some people need to do something to the cable, switch something around, I don't remember what. Anyway, hard to believe but last weekend I tried using my EB Jr as an expression pedal for the first time. I plugged it directly into Pedal 1. I assigned to the External 1 Controller and also did a calibration. I rocked it back and for and then I was done.

After assigning a wah to the External Controller I only get about 1/4 of the sweep range from my pedal. Does anyone have the information on what I need to do in order to get the full range of motion?

reverse the polarity of the cables. If you are using a insert cable, swap the cables on the Y side where they plug into you EB

OK, you lost me on a couple of things Java. I haven't messed with cables much. When you say Insert Cable? I just used a regular guitar 1/4" cable. To reverse the polarity I open up the jack and swap the cables around right? Also what do you mean by Y side?

oddb0d said:
OK, you lost me on a couple of things Java. I haven't messed with cables much. When you say Insert Cable? I just used a regular guitar 1/4" cable. To reverse the polarity I open up the jack and swap the cables around right? Also what do you mean by Y side?
I believe you have to connect both the input & output on the volume pedal using the Y-cable Java mentioned. It looks like a stereo 1/4" on one end and goes to two mono 1/4" on the other end.

Example:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document ... 97&index=0

Cheers,
Dan

oddb0d said:

An insert cable has one TRS (tip,ring, sleve) end (stereo ) and two mono ends. One mono end is fed from the tip, the other from the ring. I do not use the EB, but it sounds like you need to use an insert cable to make the EB work as expression with the AxeFX.

Ah I got it!!! Know this makes sense.... Reverse the Tip and Ring around with the jacks, no soldering or anything needed. Finally! :) Ok, my next question is this... Is that the same for when you plug the EB Jr into the Midi Mate Pedal jack? Is it the same type of stereo 1/4" that needs the Y Insert Cable? If that is the case I would just buy a short Y cable, otherwise I will have to for for a longer one... Thanks everyone!

oddb0d said:
Ah I got it!!! Know this makes sense.... Reverse the Tip and Ring around with the jacks, no soldering or anything needed. Finally! :) Ok, my next question is this... Is that the same for when you plug the EB Jr into the Midi Mate Pedal jack? Is it the same type of stereo 1/4" that needs the Y Insert Cable? If that is the case I would just buy a short Y cable, otherwise I will have to for for a longer one... Thanks everyone!

The same 1 cable that goes from 2 1/4 mono (TS) to 1 1/4 stereo (TRS)

oddb0d said:
Ok, my next question is this... Is that the same for when you plug the EB Jr into the Midi Mate Pedal jack? Is it the same type of stereo 1/4" that needs the Y Insert Cable?
I haven't used the MIDI Mate in a while but I am pretty sure you have to use the same type of Y Insert Cable to make it work.

Cheers,
Dan

Yes, same Y-cable.

And remember that the MIDI-Mate's default pedal controller number is "17". However you can set that to any controller number between 0 and 128 or even "off" for each MIDI-Mate preset depending on your requirements...

How cool, I'm dealing with the same issue with the same hardware but my problem is with the sweep. It seams to have a stepping sound when I sweep through the wah as if was skipping midi values. I have done the calibration setup for the pedal with no luck. Any suggestions?

If you are using a MIDI Mate (Version 2) and your wiring is OK, you may consider the following acc. to the MIDI Mate manual:

"Under the "Controller Assignments" heading, the RATE parameter provides a selectable rate at which the MIDI Mate™ will sample the pedal position and send out control changes. The RATE parameter is adjustable from 1 to 50mS. The value selected determines how often a control change is sent from the MIDI Mate™ (i.e. "20" = 20 milliseconds, "42" = 42 milliseconds, etc.). The lower the value selected, the faster the transmission. A faster transmission rate may mean a smoother and more accurate responseby the device receiving the control changes. However, the rate may need tobe slowed down for devices where an error may occur from receiving MIDI messages faster than the device can process them."

Maybe this helps to solve your issue...

mister.friendly said:
If you are using a MIDI Mate (Version 2) and your wiring is OK, you may consider the following acc. to the MIDI Mate manual:

"Under the "Controller Assignments" heading, the RATE parameter provides a selectable rate at which the MIDI Mate™ will sample the pedal position and send out control changes. The RATE parameter is adjustable from 1 to 50mS. The value selected determines how often a control change is sent from the MIDI Mate™ (i.e. "20" = 20 milliseconds, "42" = 42 milliseconds, etc.). The lower the value selected, the faster the transmission. A faster transmission rate may mean a smoother and more accurate responseby the device receiving the control changes. However, the rate may need tobe slowed down for devices where an error may occur from receiving MIDI messages faster than the device can process them."

Maybe this helps to solve your issue...

That was it ... thanks mister.friendly. I was racking my head on that one for over a day now. I thought for sure I was going to have to change out the pot on the pedal. I guess MIDI Mate defaults at 50ms I don't know, I changed it to 1ms and it's nice and smooth.

Sixstring said:
That was it ... thanks mister.friendly. I was racking my head on that one for over a day now. I thought for sure I was going to have to change out the pot on the pedal. I guess MIDI Mate defaults at 50ms I don't know, I changed it to 1ms and it's nice and smooth.
You're welcome! :D

However, I recommend the following:

The Axe-FX has a "DAMPING" parameter among it's MODIFIER parameters. I prefer to set this to "4 ms" when ever I have assigned an external expression pedal to a modifier for VOLUME or WAH FREQUENCY changes. When set to "0" I believe to hear some background click noise on fast pedal action (especially with clean sounds), but this might be just my ears... ;)

oddb0d said:
Ok, so back to the Insert Cable... Can someone verify which is the right connector I need.....

TRS 1/4 to TS 1/4 (2)
TRS 1/4 to TS R/A 1/4 (2)

Check out http://www.lavacable.com/insert.html to see which cable I'm looking at... Thanks for the help I really appreciate it...

Looks like one is right angle the other is not. I would go w/ the right angle.

javajunkie said:
oddb0d said:
Ok, so back to the Insert Cable... Can someone verify which is the right connector I need.....

TRS 1/4 to TS 1/4 (2)
TRS 1/4 to TS R/A 1/4 (2)

Check out http://www.lavacable.com/insert.html to see which cable I'm looking at... Thanks for the help I really appreciate it...

Looks like one is right angle the other is not. I would go w/ the right angle.
Ah! That's funny I couldn't work out R/A was about.... I thought it was some kind of Ring Tip thing... Now I got it... I feel dumb... Thanks Java!

Back
Top Bottom