Easy way to smoke fish or meat etc.

Hi,

Easy way to make tasty smoked fish (or meat etc.):

When using charcoal grill and salmon fish (fish amount approx 2 x fillet (one fillet about 800-1000g (28.2192 - 35.274 oz)

• season your fish fillets with salt, black pepper, smoked paprika and a little bit of lemon juice and let it be overnight in the fridge.
  • take aluminium foil (approx. 40 cm x 40 cm (15,75 inch x 15,75 inch)
  • take small alder chips (or what suits your taste). (approx. 2,5-3 deciliter / 8,79 - 10,55 ounces)
  • put those small alder chips onto the middle part of the foil in a square shape/even layer and leave enough space to the sides of foil.
  • put 2-3 sugar cube on top those chips (they give nice color for fish (or whatever food you grill).
  • turn opposite sides of foil (one on top the other one) and the other sides the same way (make sure the edges of the foil are closed tightly enough).
  • prick several small holes on the top foil (so that smoke from the chips can come out and give taste to food).
  • put that foil (filled with chips and sugar cubes) on top hot ember
  • adjust grill level enough high that the fish is not too near the hot ember
  • place those 2 fish fillets (skin side down) on top the shallow grill pan with holes and place that on top the grill
  • close the cover of the grill and let it grill for 20-30 minutes (depending on the type of fish and heat of the grill).

Bon appétit

Below is short video (sorry that language is in Finnish) but video shows easy way the idea of smoking ;D

Recipe sounds delicious and foil works great! I have used foil many times for the same purpose.

But then I found these and they are a sustainable option for anyone that wants something reusable. They do the same thing but they are stainless. I have a couple of them and I use them on the propane grill when I don't want to fire up my smoker. They don't necessarily work any better than foil but less to recycle or go into the landfill is always good.

Amazon product ASIN B06ZZRR7XD
If you prefer chips to pellets then there are these:

Amazon product ASIN B0144MG3D2
These are shaped to fit between the burners on gas grills:
Amazon product ASIN B002WJIQGW

It’s been awhile since I smoked fish. I do grill it fairly often. I haven’t smoked it on my kettle since I have a smoker for that. I put wood on everything, it’s a most excellent spice! I get my coals all ready, spread them out, brush the grill. Then I’ll throw on a couple small pieces of smoke wood, usually apple or oak. After they light up good, I put on my meat or fish and close it up and cook. I get a nice smoke flavor doing this. I wish my wife liked smoked fish. You’re right about the alder, that is the smoke wood for fish! I need to get some more since I used up my stash.

It’s been awhile since I smoked fish. I do grill it fairly often. I haven’t smoked it on my kettle since I have a smoker for that. I put wood on everything, it’s a most excellent spice! I get my coals all ready, spread them out, brush the grill. Then I’ll throw on a couple small pieces of smoke wood, usually apple or oak. After they light up good, I put on my meat or fish and close it up and cook. I get a nice smoke flavor doing this. I wish my wife liked smoked fish. You’re right about the alder, that is the smoke wood for fish! I need to get some more since I used up my stash.

I have an electric smoker and it is great. But it is a pain to clean after every use. So sometimes I just want to do something quick on the grill. The foil/boxes method works great for fish on the grill. It won't do low and slow for ribs, brisket, etc. But you don't need that for fish anyway.

Planking is awesome too. I have Alder, Cedar and Hickory planks depending on the kind of fish I'm cooking. You just soak the plank in water for an hour and put your fish filet on it, then place it on the grill over indirect heat. The fish bakes while the plank smokes.

Now that wild Alaskan salmon is fresh we eat it once or twice per week. Sooooo good!

Ingmar Bergman Pipe GIF by Maudit

I love my electric smoker, never have cleaned it, just turn it full on for an hour and it burns off all the grease and funk. Scrubbing a smoker is like cleaning the coffee pot, you loose all that experienced flavor.☺️

Mine is a Masterbuilt with the glass in the front door. I don't clean the walls, just the racks, drip pan and the glass. But those can still be a pain. If I don't clean the racks then I notice some stuff sticks more (even if I oil them). But the quick and dirty method I use when I'm lazy or in a hurry is similar to your advice. I will spray the racks with lemon or lime juice and let the smoker rock. It does a pretty good job. I would do same with the glass, but the manual said to keep lemon/lime/vinegar away from the silicone seals around the glass. So that part is usually old fashioned elbow grease when I do get around to cleaning it.

But I love mine too. It is a big one so I like to fill it up when I use it. Veggies on top, then fish, then brisket, then ribs, then chicken thighs on bottom. If you have never tried a whole smoked head of cauliflower then you should. It will change your life! Also recently discovered smoked cream cheese which is a huge hit with the fam.

But I love mine too. It is a big one so I like to fill it up when I use it. Veggies on top, then fish, then brisket, then ribs, then chicken thighs on bottom. If you have never tried a whole smoked head of cauliflower then you should. It will change your life! Also recently discovered smoked cream cheese which is a huge hit with the fam.

Did not know smoked cauliflower was a thing. I’ll try it next time I fire up the smoker.

I thought cheeses were cold smoked? I guess it just melts into gooey smokey goodness?

Did not know smoked cauliflower was a thing. I’ll try it next time I fire up the smoker.

I thought cheeses were cold smoked? I guess it just melts into gooey smokey goodness?

For the Cauli just hit it with salt & pep & your favorite BBQ rub and throw it in. When it is fork tender it is done. Depending on the size of the Cauli I think it takes about 2 to 2.5 hours at around 225 degrees (Fahrenheit).

For the cream cheese you gotta use the full fat bricks. I make a little foil tray for it by folding up the sides (leave the top open). I skip the salt, add the pepper & BBQ rub then same temp 225. Surprisingly it doesn't become a gooey mess. I was expecting the same thing 1st time I tried it. In fact it dehydrates a little and changes the texture to be a little more firm (once chilled). Warm right off the smoker then it is creamy and spreadable but not a runny mess at all. I do 2 bricks at a time - 1 is always completely consumed by my family when it comes off the smoker. The other goes into the fridge. My family even likes it on bagels, crackers etc. out of the fridge.

Here's a recipe that adds honey - I don't since my rub has brown sugar.

https://midwestfoodieblog.com/smoked-cream-cheese/

After doing it I tried the same with Mozzarella. For that and other cheeses you definitely need a cold smoker. Talk about a nightmare to clean up! :tearsofjoy:

Last edited:
Filled mashrooms in grill:

• dig out mushrooms leg part
  • fill in mushroom with ingredients you like
    (ex. different cheeses, smoke ham, broccoli etc.)
  • Wrap the bacon around the mushroom
(you can use sticks to keep things together).

Same way you can fill sweet peppers or if you want hot then
use different chili pepper (dig out those seeds).
1690190553154.png
1690190611134.png

1690190673408.png

Last edited:
Also grilled carrots are nice. Just little bit oil, black pepper, salt, honey and tarragon.
I love also put small potatoes, shallots and grill them.

This could easily morph into a community recipes thread. I am sure there are some wonderful cooks, maybe even some pro chefs in the Fractal community.

Maybe you should consider changing the thread title to "Fractal Community Favorite Recipes" or something. I would certainly contribute some of my favorites. Judging from the delicious ones you posted already I'm betting you have many more to share.

Smoke Fish casserole

Food stuff:

1000 - 1500 gr ( 2,2 - 3,3 lb) Smoke salmon (rainbow trout etc.).
8 - 9 potatoes
3 - 4 carrots
2 - 3 clove of garlic
400 - 450 gr (0,88 - 0,99 lb) cheese
4 dl food cream (13,5 OZ)

Spices:

Black pepper, Vogel Herbed Sea Salt, dried thyme, sweet pepper powder.
Also lemon pepper and white pepper suits well with black pepper and if you don't have Herbed Sea Salt Vogel then normal sea salt or salt is okay.

First separate fish meet using fingers and make small chips/pieces and check out those fish bones (put those fish chip/pieces into bowl)

Peel potatoes and carrots and cut them thin slices (about 1 - 1,5 mm) and put them into bowl.

Grate cheese and put them into bowl

Put oven ready to heat (200 Celsius = 392 Fahrenheit)

Take oven tray and:

-put first set of potatoes chips/pieces evenly to bottom of oven tray
  • put first set of smoke salmon on top potatoes
  • put half of carrots chips/pieces on top
  • then put half of grated cheese on top
  • add some of those spices and grate some of garlic too
  • then put second set of potatoes chips/pieces evenly
  • then put second set of salmon on top potatoes and add some of spices
  • then put rest carrots chips/pieces on top
  • add some of those spices and grate rest of garlic too
  • put rest of potatoes chips/pieces on top evenly
  • sprinkle sweet pepper powder on top
  • add rest grated cheese on top evenly
  • pour food cream evenly around the whole thing
Idea is that all that stuff places as layers.

Now put whole thing in oven (middle heat / up and down heat)
  • oven temperature 200 Celsius = 392 Fahrenheit
  • It takes about 1 hour - to 1h 10 minutes when food is ready

On top ready Smoke Fish casserole looks brown, be cause grated cheese on top
gets nice color ;D

Two pictures (one before oven and other after oven when food is ready).

SmokeFisCasserole_beforeOven.jpg

SmokeFisCasserole_readyone.jpg

That fish don't have to be salmon, it can be also whitefish, herring. But of course this recipe based on smoked fish.

Last edited:
I sometimes brine and smoke Salmon. Tasty. But most times I grill it in kettle with a little smoke wood. I get the coals ready to go, spread them out, toss on a couple small pieces and let them flame up. Then the fish goes on, the lid goes on, and there it is. Smoked fish. It’s like a beautiful spice. For prep, I use olive oil both sides to prevent sticking. Fresh squeezed lemon, kosher salt and fresh course ground black pepper, garlic powder, and some cayenne. Last night it was farm raised Steelhead with a little apple.

I love my electric smoker, never have cleaned it, just turn it full on for an hour and it burns off all the grease and funk. Scrubbing a smoker is like cleaning the coffee pot, you loose all that experienced flavor.☺️
My Traeger is almost two years old and I've never cleaned it. I occasionally change out the heavy duty foil on the drip pan and scrape the grill once before using it. That's all it needs.

Back
Top Bottom