Easy way to convert Axe II XL+ Presets to Axe III presets

Techboy57

Inspired
I have moved up the evolutionary ladder to the Axe FX III Mk II and would like to convert several of my favourite Axe FX II XL+ presets. I'm wondering if theres an easier way to do it then how I am now proceeding.

I use fractool to convert from their old state to AXE III format and once imported into the unit I need to reset every block to make the preset compatible and then I must use Fractool to View each block and manually reset the parameters to the values from the original preset to get closer to where I want to be.

Any suggestions or assistance would be appreciated. Cheers, Perry. Aka Techboy57

I remember using fractool to do this when I made the move from the II to the III in 2018. The short answer is that there is no easy way since there has been so much change with the III at this point. I did import about 30-odd presets but eventually had to re-do all of them because the III was so different even back then that it didn't make sense to keep the parameters of the II on the blocks in the III. The best way to go about it is to dial from your ear. As you'll find, it's much quicker and easier to get tones you like from the III when compared with the II.

I remember using fractool to do this when I made the move from the II to the III in 2018. The short answer is that there is no easy way since there has been so much change with the III at this point. I did import about 30-odd presets but eventually had to re-do all of them because the III was so different even back then that it didn't make sense to keep the parameters of the II on the blocks in the III. The best way to go about it is to dial from your ear. As you'll find, it's much quicker and easier to get tones you like from the III when compared with the II.
Thanks, thats what I thought and feared. So I'd better crack the whip and get to work.

I never got to use the II (glad I couldn’t pull trigger back then) but I went from FM3 to III Turbo easily. Is the difference from the II and III so different that at least the template or block chain at least not transferable? Did the older generation have an “Edit”?

Is the difference from the II and III so different that at least the template or block chain at least not transferable?
It's not possible to transfer presets directly. You have to go through Fractool, or you will have to physically re-create the blocks/signal chain.
Did the older generation have an “Edit”?
It did. But I don't think it'll be of much use in transferring presets/blocks apart from providing quick access to deeper parameters; although the deeper parameters have also changed in some cases from the II to the III.

It's not possible to transfer presets directly. You have to go through Fractool, or you will have to physically re-create the blocks/signal chain.

It did. But I don't think it'll be of much use in transferring presets/blocks apart from providing quick access to deeper parameters; although the deeper parameters have also changed in some cases from the II to the III.
I was just curious. So glad I went from the FM3, which was amazing, to Turbo. I've got everything I've always wanted since 1975!

Back
Top Bottom