Easy trick for more Vintage-sounding FX

Cooper,

Thanks for helping us see how we can create more analog & vintage sounding effects.

Some years ago, I was reading a recording techniques manual that described how to enhance the major harmonic overtones of time-based effects, while minimizing background harmonics which disrupt or muddy a guitar signal...

The manual suggested using prime numbers (2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17, 19, etc) that reinforces the major harmonics and reduces background harmonics.

This also adds to the vintage sound of an effect, and helps preserve the quality of the effect as well.

Here are 2 pages of the first 1000 prime numbers. I usually prefer a delay time between 300 and 400 ms, and there are plenty to choose from.

LJamhjT.jpg

jk7URoe.jpg

Last edited:
Cooper,

Thanks for helping us see how we can create more analog & vintage sounding effects.

Some years ago, I was reading a recording techniques manual that described how to enhance the major harmonic overtones of time-based effects, while minimizing background harmonics which disrupt or muddy a guitar signal...

The manual suggested using prime numbers (1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17, 19, etc) that reinforces the harmonics and reduces background harmonics.

This also adds to the vintage sound of an effect, and helps preserve the quality of the effect as well.

Here are 2 pages of the first 1000 prime numbers. I usually prefer a delay time between 300 and 400 ms, and there a plenty to choose from.

LJamhjT.jpg

jk7URoe.jpg
This is a prime example of why some knowledge of mathematics is important to have in music.

Back
Top Bottom