Early Petrucci

VidarAus

Experienced
Hi All,

Seems like we have Petrucci's modern tones pretty well nailed with the Axe these days, but what about his earlier tones such as:

Love his older lead (and rhythm) tones, that seem to be less compressed with lower gain and a different EQ.

Anybody nailed this tone, or have tips on where to start?

Cheers

John's Tone has pretty much always been based on a IIC+. There are exceptions. Awake and Train Of Thought both have a lot of Rectifier (Dual on Awake, Roadking on TOT). Awake also has A LOT of layers. MKIIs and Dual Recs on different channels both in doubled applications and with splitters running two or 3 amps simultaneously.

IAW is a hodgepodge. David Prater layered as many as 8 tracks at times of different amps. There are Marshalls, Mesas, the works.

Falling Into Infinity is a hodgepodge of Mesas. MKIIs, IVs, Dual Recs, Triaxis, you name it.

Now for that video. That tour was 2 Triaxis'. One was usually clean and the other dirty, and he'd often run the both together for rhythms. I actually hated how thin it sounded, but his live lead tone was fantastic. He always ran the MKIIC+ setting. You could probably still find the Guitar World article where he talked about it. I think there were settings on the Mesa Boogie page back in 96 or so too. You could probably find them. But, for the tone in that video, its a Tone Zone in the bridge and a Humbucker From Hell in the neck on a basswood guitar with rosewood on maple bolt on neck. Start with the Triaxis model with a Recto cab (he used the oversized ones at the time of that video) with V30s. From FII on, he started using the smaller recto (now stilletto cabs I think) 412s.

So, those earlier years tones in the studio are pretty much MKII or Dual Rec with oversized Recto cabs, and Triaxis in MKII mode with oversized Recto cabs live.

From Guitar World nov 94 (Prince on the cover). This Issue had a long interview with JP and JM talking about the making of Awake and it also has a big rundown of JP´s gear:

Clean: Rhy Yellow. Gain-6.0, Tre-6.5, Mid-3.5, Bass-3.0, Master-5.5, Presence-8.0, Dynamic Voice-7.0. 2:90 power amp set to Deep and Modern.

Main Crunch: Lead 1 Red (recto version). Gain-6.0, Tre-6.0, Mid-5.0, Bass-4.5, LD1 Drive-4.5, Master-4.0, Presence-6.5. 2:90 power amp set to Deep and Modern.

Lead: Lead 2 Yellow. Gain-7.5, Tre-4.5, Mid-4.0, Bass-5.5, LD2 Drive-6.5, Master-6.0, Presence-0, Dynamic Voice 3.0. 2:90 power amp-?

From JP´s Sfam rack:

LD 2 Yellow. Gain-8.0. Tre- 4.5, Mid-6.5, Bass-4.5, LD2 Drive-7.5. Master-5.5, Presence-3.0, Dynamic Voice-3.0.

From JP´s clinic rack:

Ld 2 Yellow. Gain-6.5, Tre-4.0, Mid-3.5, Bass-4.0, LD2 Drive-5.0, Master-4.5, Presence-2.0, Dynamic Voice-3.5.

From Guitar World nov 94 (Prince on the cover). This Issue had a long interview with JP and JM talking about the making of Awake and it also has a big rundown of JP´s gear:

Clean: Rhy Yellow. Gain-6.0, Tre-6.5, Mid-3.5, Bass-3.0, Master-5.5, Presence-8.0, Dynamic Voice-7.0. 2:90 power amp set to Deep and Modern.

Main Crunch: Lead 1 Red (recto version). Gain-6.0, Tre-6.0, Mid-5.0, Bass-4.5, LD1 Drive-4.5, Master-4.0, Presence-6.5. 2:90 power amp set to Deep and Modern.

Lead: Lead 2 Yellow. Gain-7.5, Tre-4.5, Mid-4.0, Bass-5.5, LD2 Drive-6.5, Master-6.0, Presence-0, Dynamic Voice 3.0. 2:90 power amp-?

From JP´s Sfam rack:

LD 2 Yellow. Gain-8.0. Tre- 4.5, Mid-6.5, Bass-4.5, LD2 Drive-7.5. Master-5.5, Presence-3.0, Dynamic Voice-3.0.

From JP´s clinic rack:

Ld 2 Yellow. Gain-6.5, Tre-4.0, Mid-3.5, Bass-4.0, LD2 Drive-5.0, Master-4.5, Presence-2.0, Dynamic Voice-3.5.

Thanks very much!

From JP´s Sfam rack:

From JP´s clinic rack:

Thank you saving this for later!

From JP´s Sfam rack:

From JP´s clinic rack:

This is awesome! I love the clinic tone... I’m totally firing this up tonight. What cab would you use? I’m thinking about the Ownhammer traditional...

This is awesome! I love the clinic tone... I’m totally firing this up tonight. What cab would you use? I’m thinking about the Ownhammer traditional...

I'd mess around and see what you like the most. I tend to go back to some Ownhammer Marshall IR's for everything, but I have some OH Recto ones that are pretty badass too.

I'd mess around and see what you like the most. I tend to go back to some Ownhammer Marshall IR's for everything, but I have some OH Recto ones that are pretty badass too.

Oh, forgot to ask... how are you handling th dynamic voice control? On the triaxis, I think it’s more than just an eq, I believe there was a percentage mix involved as well

Hi All,

Seems like we have Petrucci's modern tones pretty well nailed with the Axe these days, but what about his earlier tones such as:

Love his older lead (and rhythm) tones, that seem to be less compressed with lower gain and a different EQ.

Anybody nailed this tone, or have tips on where to start?

Cheers

This is the most well done solo guitar of what I know and heard in the guitar world in decades . Petrucci simply is a beast here..! And the tone and the melody and the skills and the ..look.!
( yes,I know :Eruption,Hotel California,Mr,Scary,Satch boogie.....still...)

I'm not a big JP fan by any means,.. but I loved that!!! ... even that opening rhythm stuff was AMAZING! ...

"To Live Forever" has always been my favorite section of that live in Tokyo video. I remember learning that solo back when I was first starting out (about 14 yrs old at the time), and I still find myself playing that intro and middle blues/jazz progression every time I pick up a new guitar to try out.

Here's a better quality video:

Back
Top Bottom