Ear phone into AX8

It's not that bad. I use my in ears for practice. Could I use a headphone amp? Sure but that is just more stuff to deal with. For me it works fine for simple night time practice.

There's an item tailor made for this. I've had one for a while. Sound is very clean BTW, and battery lasts for ever.

Electro-Harmonix Headphone Amp Portable Practice Amp

Amazon product ASIN B003UIBQEI
It's just a headphone amp, but takes a mono patch cable input and sums it for headphones. It's also designed just for this application, unlike other headphone amps. (It's on/off is through the headphone jack ). Also, it doesn't color the sound. It's very solid and well made and looks cool (as does the box). :D

Last edited:
Why....?????...oh well

you could use an outboard mixer...or an interface and use the soundcard on your pc...as an idea

Why....?????...oh well

you could use an outboard mixer...or an interface and use the soundcard on your pc...as an idea

Mixers are a good idea, but perhaps overkill for the simplest solution. I have my eye on the Yamaha mixers, very cool. But I probably don't need it.

Thing is, I have a few USB interfaces (as most of us do), but they require setup, and again, are not a simple solution.

I bought a Yamaha MG06x.cool cause it has XLR outs and a Phones jack ..used it yesterday with the AX8, two 12 inch FRFR's and my phone to play along to some backing tracks to wake up the neighbors works like a champ police arrived within 10 min......

You can use a Y-cable that sums to stereo. Plug it in to both AX8 outputs, plug your headphones into that. Voila!!

Something like this... http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/YPP136

I actually use my AxeFX... I run the Left output from the AX8 into the AFX, (bypass the AFX preset!), and use the headphones out on the AFX. Sounds great, and is in mono which actually is helpful to dial in sounds for live use since for me that's in mono. But I realize that not everyone has both units.

You can use a Y-cable that sums to stereo. Plug it in to both AX8 outputs, plug your headphones into that. Voila!!

Something like this...

I actually use my AxeFX... I run the Left output from the AX8 into the AFX, (bypass the AFX preset!), and use the headphones out on the AFX. Sounds great, and is in mono which actually is helpful to dial in sounds for live use since for me that's in mono. But I realize that not everyone has both units.

very true, but there's a serious impedance mismatch (Wiki). Sound is....not ideal

That's a great idea. I posted about the EH item, which is mono. I never use stereo for this stuff so I overlooked this (rather important point...sorry)

very true, but there's a serious impedance mismatch (Wiki). Sound is....not ideal
I assume you mean impedance mismatch running into the AFX? Interesting. I haven't noticed any issues doing it either way but may be.

You mean it would sound even better than it already does? ;-)

I assume you mean impedance mismatch running into the AFX? Interesting. I haven't noticed any issues doing it either way but may be.

You mean it would sound even better than it already does? ;-)

you mean AX8, right :D

No it's the output impedance. Headphones have very low impedance (most that is), around 8 ohm up to 32 (several are much higher of course).

The output impedance of the AX8 is 600 ohms, and it's expecting a very high impedance, which headphones don't have; hence the mismatch

Cliff talks about it on the Wiki pages (which are awesome BTW (new user here) )

No, I did mean AFX... as in running out from the AX8 into the AFX might be the wrong impedance/line-level/etc.

But you were talking about the other scenario, a y-cable from the AX8 to headphones. That's a good point. I've done it a few times and it sounded fine but I found I preferred running thru the AFX because first, it ends up being mono which helps me creating live tones, and 2nd because then I can use the AFX VU meters to check levels while I'm editing thru AX8-Edit.

I found it sounded quite a bit better than my Behringer mixer setup. (8-channel Eurorack.) However, I'm using headphones and not earphones. I have Sennheisers that are 64 ohms.

It's funny I came across this post as I just received a wireless Bluetooth transmitter that I'm hoping to use with wireless earbuds as a personal monitor. I'm still waiting for my invite, but Ill be giving it a test run later this week with my Roland GR55......I have high hopes!

Which wireless bluetooth earbuds is that? As far as I understand, all bluetooth solutions have unbearable latency :(

I have a pair of monster clarity buds. I'll be testing this week and I'll update with the results. I've also got 4 other sets I will try so I can get a true test...here's hoping.

UPDATE.... Experiment was a bust as the latency was pretty bad, but I'm not giving up yet! I've found a transmitter that claims to have no latency. I've got more research to do but, this should keep me occupied until I get my invite!

Just another idea, will prove the concept when I get my AX8. I'm looking to use the Samson S-Monitor. It has XLR input/through and a headphone output. Kills 2 birds for me, personal inear volume control in live setting and allows practicing at home with headphones. They're cheap too! Should work in theory.

Back
Top Bottom