Eagles Hotel California Harmonizing Scale Preset for FM9

SVOhio

This is simply a contribution for all the help I receive here on the forum. Everyone has an interpretation of this Hotel California solo bit, this is simply mine and open to interpretation as you see fit. But I think it sounds very good - but I'm biased - LOL! This is strictly a Music Theory based preset, but I think it sounds pretty good with settings of PITCH BLOCK. I'm still learning my FM9, so there may be a better way to handle the Scene foot tapping. So if there is a better way, certainly update me. I'm always open to learning, even after decades of playing guitar. I do want to give a call out to @Bakerman for some help with the understanding of how the "KEY" works in the Custom Shift of the Pitch block, which was the final touch that made things work and fall in place tonally. This preset does require some tap dancing. Oh, and of course, this represents playing the higher (2nd guitar) and harmonizing the lower (1st guitar).

Attached is the SYX

BTW, for those who do not know. Custom scales are accessible on your FM9 under: SETUP > GLOBAL I/O > [PRESS PAGE TO THE SCALES]

• Each chord in Red or Blue is based upon the music theory formula combinations of the harmonized tones of each arpeggio.
Order represents the custom scale playing sequence based upon the chord sequence (playing pattern: 1 2 1 2 3 4 4 3)
-- Scale 3 works well and could be used for the harmonized walk leading (8 notes) into the final arpeggio lead, but be sure to set the remaining notes to -3
• Color means nothing except to associate notes to chords and the semitone shift.
The Chord chart to the far right represents harmony relationship between Guitar 1 (lower) and Guitar 2 (higher)
• As for the Custom Shift in the PITCH BLOCK of FM9, my personal setting is 50% level and 30% mix, which sounds good to me... just my opinion again.

NOTE: Naturally, the remaining scale notes of each scale, outside of the identified chordal tones, can be set to -3 even though you won't play them most likely; except for Scale 3 if you choose to play it for the leading walk (8 notes) into the harmonized solo

1687998424729.png

How I setup the PITCH BLOCK - Custom Shift for each scale (my personal preference but the mix could possibly be bumped up to 30-35%): The reason for the lower mix is that I believe the lower tone, if it is too dominant, causes the harmony to sound too much like a processed harmony and unnatural to me. So I believe the lower mix actually smooths the harmony and allows harmonic high of the 2nd guitar that the average listener hears carry some dominance. Again, just personal opinion and preference. (NOTE: it is very important to set KEY to A, and not D.)
  • Scale 1: Channel A; Key = A; Level = 50%; Mix 30%
  • Scale 2: Channel B; Key = A; Level = 50%; Mix 30%
  • Scale 3: Channel C; Key = A; Level = 50%; Mix 30%
  • Scale 4: Channel D; Key = A; Level = 50%; Mix 30%

Good luck! Reach out to me if you have any questions or just have some thoughts on the preset.

Here is a demo, it's not my best but the idea is to demonstrate the harmony. The harmony kicks in on the walk up to the harmonized arpeggios. I do hit a bad note or two but that is me, not the harmony. I do play a couple of the triads differently than Felder or Walsh just because it is easier. Notes are the same (e.g., Bm).

Attachments

• FM9 -Eagles-HC.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Thanks for posting this. Won’t be able to try it until the weekend. I’m going to jam with some old buddies in the next few weeks, and one of the songs is Detroit Rock City. Because we’re all old lol. I was thinking it would be cool to use the pitch for the harmony part. Wasn’t sure how to go about it though. Both songs are Bm so maybe your pitch block will do the job.

That sounds like fun! I'm familiar with Detroit Rock City but have never played it despite the decades of playing guitar - 🤔. So these are "Custom" scales in the preset. You may find you need to simply use the Diatonic and not the Custom Shift. The diatonic is to follow the music theory based pitch interval. So, for example, if I'm correct, the Diatonic will adjust for the major or minor 3rd if used (there is a semitone difference between the two). However, maybe one or more of these will work or just need a tweak! Good luck!

Thanks for posting this and the detailed explanation. I'll have to dive into this when I have more time over the holiday weekend. I have played this song live on both Fractal gear and a Helix. Setting up the harmonizer with custom scales is a very cool feature and takes a lot of forethought to get it "right", though as you said, there's a lot of interpretation involved as to what is "right". :cool:

Back
Top Bottom