1. We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.
    Dismiss Notice

E J tone

Discussion in 'AX8 Preset Exchange' started by Stratoball, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Stratoball

Stratoball
    Expand Collapse
    New here

How to get a good Eric Johnson dirty rythrm tone

2. r3vo1ution1991

r3vo1ution1991
    Expand Collapse
    Regular

I'd start by watching this video that gives a rundown of his setup. I believe he's used the Marshalls for his drive tone in the past, but the Two Rock is a recent change, and he's almost always used a Tube Driver pedal for the lead.

Maybe a mod can move this to the discussion section, since this isn't a bug or wish?

3. Stratoball

Stratoball
    Expand Collapse
    New here

I mean how to get the EJ tone on the AX-8 and any settings for a Boston tone

4. #4 r3vo1ution1991, Jan 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    r3vo1ution1991

r3vo1ution1991
    Expand Collapse
    Regular

...I did...Use either a Two-Rock or Marshall Amp (I perused a little more, he uses the 50W Plexi for his dirty rhythm tone) as your amp block (the 50W Plexi is listed in the AX8 as literally "Plexi 50W"), then you kinda have to tweak the amp settings from there to get it closer than whatever the default settings are.

If you don't know which amps are which, I'd suggest you look through yek's amp model guide (the PDF version of this guide can be found here. He breaks down every amp in the unit as well as provides cab pairings for the amp.

Someone might have a preset built they could share, but I currently do not and won't be able to for a while unfortunately.

5. budda007

budda007
    Expand Collapse
    Regular

Get Austin Buddy Dream Pack! He has like 3 or 4 presets that I thought sounded like EJ tone

levipeto and Bill Wendt like this.
  6. Bill Wendt

Bill Wendt
    Expand Collapse
    New here

I noticed I'm on the EJ factory preset 90% of the time from the moment I took the AX8 out of the box. Such a great tone. My ultimate would be getting the "Nothing Can Keep Me from You" outro solo tone out of the AX8.

7. Stratoball

Stratoball
    Expand Collapse
    New here

Thanks guys