"Dynamics" question

paulasbell

Inspired
Thru the entire FW odyssey, I've searched for ways to fatten single-note tone, as a function of picking dynamics. In several previous FW's, I've lowered the Dyn Presence and raised the Dyn Depth as a means to achieve that. However, the new "Dyn Character" parameters in Quantum really seem to address that issue, better than any method I've used previously. So far, LOVING it!

Question, however….

Do the various Dynamics parameters (Pres, Depth, and now Character) reference the signal strength AT THE AXE-FX INPUT? Or do they reference the signal strength somewhere after the input, within the virtual preamp circuitry?

What I'm wondering is, if the Input Trim, Drive, etc were changed- for example, by a controller, as I often do for footpedal volume control- would that be expected to affect the behavior of those Dynamics parameters? If the signal strength is sensed at the AxeFx input, I'd imagine not. If the strength was sensed after those input controls, perhaps they WOULD be?

Last edited:
Those dynamic parameters are amp block parameters, and as such take affect in that block.

I may be wrong - but I thought the dynamic controls were frequency dependent not amplitude dependent - that is they affect the dynamic response at the frequencies set (low and high are shelf types - so affect all frequencies below/above respectively - mid is a peak type set by freq and Q) rather than being dependent on note strength. Not quite sure why (or even if) they fatten single notes. Im sure there is something in Quantum that does but cant find the info now. I thought it was dynamic damping, but cant find any control for that in the amp block now I look, so I may be wrong.

Here is from the release notes:

"Added a new mode to the “Character” controls in the Amp block. A Char Type of “Dynamic” engages an exciting new mode of tone control. This can be used to fatten or scoop the tone as a function of picking strength. For example, set the Type to Dynamic, Char Freq to 450.0, Char Q to 0.7 and Char Amt to 4.0. This will cause the tone to get fatter and thicker as you play hard but without getting honky when playing soft."

is9582… I'm assuming you posted that quote in response to paulmapp's post? I think the "dynamic" option in the "Character type" is what paulmapp is missing, and so this quote addresses his thought well.

As for me, I'm quite aware of that paragraph from the release notes, and used it to achieve the satisfying results I referred to earlier. But it definitely doesn't answer my question...

Do the various Dynamics parameters (Pres, Depth, and now Character) reference the signal strength AT THE AXE-FX INPUT? Or do they reference the signal strength somewhere after the input, within the virtual preamp circuitry?

according to the wiki, the Dynamic Presence and Depth are dependent on how hard the Power Amp is driven - so that's not at the Input stage.

the Character controls are said to be similar to the Dyn Pres/Depth, and further says it's dependent on the amount of Gain, so it also doesn't seem to tap at the Input stage.

AMP block parameters - Axe-Fx II Wiki

Dyn Pres - "Increasing this value results in a brighter response as the virtual power amp is pushed"
Dyn Depth - "this increases or decreases low frequencies when the virtual power amp is being pushed"
Char - "It is highly dependent on the amount of gain."

Thanks, Chris, for steering me to those quotes.

I had been looking in the wiki under "dynamics" and saw different descriptions. However, those descriptions I saw never made clear what you've pointed out just now… that the Dyn Pres & Depth are triggered by the amount of POWER AMP DISTORTION. So they clearly ARE affected by changes that are made to things like Input Trim, etc.

Based on the "dependent on the amount of gain" quote, I'd imagine you're right… that this new Dynamic Character feature is triggered by "post-preamp" signal, rather than "input" signal.

Oddly enough, I've been trying, and enjoying, that parameter in my clean jazz preset, which uses the Tube Preamp model. Probably not what Cliff had in mind, but sounding great here!

Back
Top Bottom