Dynacabs! Post your best recipes!

That as sounds awesome I think I prefer that one with the YA dyna if its the same cab

I am sure it Soundcloud but I am noticing a clicking sounds in the background but it is pretty audible after the 1.20 mark in the clip

it more prominent on the first one. , but that said the tone is really good

I´m liking the tones. But I´m also noticing the artifacts. It sounds similar to when 2 interfaces are linked via ADAT and have the wrong clock source settings. Just confirming, because I´d appreciate the info if someone else noticed it in my recordings.

Not exactly a specific recipe, but in this video, Dante Frisiello talks about blending a 2x12 and a 1x12 Dynacab which is something I never would have thought of, but I tried it and so far I am liking it.

Personally, I don't care for the shtick of Satch or Vai much, but this guy seems genuine with great energy. "When you start committing to things, things just appear" Took me beaucoup years to really get that myself and can appreciate that in others. Thanks for posting this.

Here are the amps and corresponding dyna cabs I use....and their apprx mix formula:
  • Double Verb -> 2x12 Double Verb (Use the Vibrato model with humbuckers and normal with single coils...theoretically it should be the other way around, cause of the headroom...but sounds better to me this way)
  • 5F8 Tweed Jumped -> 1x12 Tweed 20112
  • ODS Ford -> 4x12 Rumble
  • D-30 EF86 -> 1x12 AC20
  • Hipower Jumpered -> 1x12 AC20 (SIC set to 4x12 Hipower but the cab/IR is 1x20 AC20/happy accident)
  • Dirty Shirley 2 -> 4X12 1960TV
  • Plexi 100w J -> 4x12 1960TV (use this amp with Humbucker guitars, with single coils for the plexi tone I go with Atomica High. With my tele or strat I get a more controlled, cleaner tone compared to 100w J, the IRs are same for both amps)
My mix template/starting point in Cab block looks like this:
  • Dynamic 1: 0dB
  • Ribbon: -3dB
  • Condenser: -6dB
  • Low Cut 80hz/6dB - HiCut: 10khz/6dB
I play around a lot with mic positions but I don't mess with the distances and keep them aligned at their factory positions.

These change depending on the song, recording session. Also, I make different presets for different guitars. Depending on the guitar, most of the time instead of messing with amp tone controls, I prefer to change the the tone inside the Cab block with moving the virtual mics around, changing their levels. IMHO this yields to better/more natural sounding results and the amp's break up characteristic/response stays the same. Not only I get better tone, get also faster to point.

I use for the most part 3 mics/IRs but sometimes turning the condenser down or completely off might fit the mix better which brings me down to 2 IRs/mics.

Live I use the saturation and EQ in Cab block, in the studio all compression, eq, reverbs etc are either in the box or on the way already but those are not done inside the Axe Fx 3. I always run through Universal Audio compressors, eqs, tape etc inside their console app and print them. When I am recording I use the Axe Fx almost only for the core guitar tone, usually just with the Amp & Cab blocks.

Last edited:
This was a fun one to dial in. I approximated my favorite combination of IR’s from the John Petrucci IR collection, specifically the Terminal Velocity 4x12 Recto 421 and SM7B. It’s not identical, but it’ll get you close. I could probably nail it with a parametric EQ and a little more time. Dialed in using Mark Day’s Recto preset with some tweaks:

1: 4x12 RECTO SLANT
Ribbon
Position: 5.15
Distance: 16.75 cm

2: 4x12 RECTO SLANT
Dynamic 2
Position: Cap
Distance: 0.00

Attachments

• Petrucci Term_20240411_155123.blk.zip
    434 bytes · Views: 23
This was a fun one to dial in. I approximated my favorite combination of IR’s from the John Petrucci IR collection, specifically the Terminal Velocity 4x12 Recto 421 and SM7B. It’s not identical, but it’ll get you close. I could probably nail it with a parametric EQ and a little more time. Dialed in using Mark Day’s Recto preset with some tweaks:

Ribbon
Position: 5.15
Distance: 16.75 cm

Dynamic
Position: Cap
Distance: 0.00
Gonna check it out thanks!

I just use a PEQ, sometimes followed by a GEQ but not always. No cab block, running FRFR and/or to an actual cab.

I was just playing with the Recto Slant and this is close to my favourite IR (not still there but it's a nice sound when cranked).
I'm using a FAS Rhythm (Gain at 10, little boost in front)

Condenser
Level: 0.00 dB
Position: 4.51
Distance: 4.98 cm

Dynamic 2
Level: -3.00 dB
Position: 5.85
Distance: 12.90 cm

Bonus: play with the align (like an offset of 10/12 mm) for smoothing the sound

Attachments

• RRrectoSlant_20240411_224042.blk
    1.3 KB · Views: 15
This. And those struggling with the DynaCabs, don’t be afraid to go big with the Position and Distance or think outside of the box. There are plenty of good tones to be had in there.
This is good advice. When DynaCabs first came out it seemed odd to be backing off the mics so far until I realized I was thinking the distances were in inches. Once I wrapped my non-metric American brain around that, it made way more sense.

Not exactly a specific recipe, but in this video, Dante Frisiello talks about blending a 2x12 and a 1x12 Dynacab which is something I never would have thought of, but I tried it and so far I am liking it.

Never heard of this guy before. Very infectious with his enthusiasm.

I often cut lows in the input EQ of the amp, to keep things from blatting out down there with even a little gain. Less so with firmware 25, and I'll first try without that, but still. I think that has me removing lows less in the cab.

That makes sense!

I slept on Dynacabs a bit. A few times I tried and just found that IR's were faster and more pleasing. However, yesterday I spent a bit of time back and forth between an amp block and dynacabs (Recto Straight / Ribbon mic), and I gotta say, I am really pleased with it!

I said in another thread I really wish there were more dynacabs 'in the box'. I understand that Cab Lab and the wealth of 3rd party options likely solve for any issues with trying to expand the DC platform in the unit itself (hardware/memory limitations?), but I really like the simplicity of just doing everything in the Editor, rather than having to bring up another tool and figure out tones that way.

That makes sense!

I slept on Dynacabs a bit. A few times I tried and just found that IR's were faster and more pleasing. However, yesterday I spent a bit of time back and forth between an amp block and dynacabs (Recto Straight / Ribbon mic), and I gotta say, I am really pleased with it!

I said in another thread I really wish there were more dynacabs 'in the box'. I understand that Cab Lab and the wealth of 3rd party options likely solve for any issues with trying to expand the DC platform in the unit itself (hardware/memory limitations?), but I really like the simplicity of just doing everything in the Editor, rather than having to bring up another tool and figure out tones that way.
Yeah, I’m slowly transitioning to DynaCabs for all my tones. Even with the current offerings, you can pretty much nail most tones if you put in the time. I find them much more efficient than scrolling through thousands of IR’s. I’m still using IR’s in my gigging unit, but as soon as I get the chance to match them with the DynaCabs, I’ll likely quit using IR’s altogether.

Back
Top Bottom