DynaCab vs. legacy IR shootout

Which cab setting do you prefer

• I prefer scenes 1&3

Votes: 28 93.3%
  • I prefer scenes 2&4

Votes: 2 6.7%

• Total voters
One thing: I did do careful leveling of all the sound clips using integrated LUFS. In both runs, the DynaCabs are ~1 dB lower in level (before my leveling) compared to the Legacy IRs.

I also didn’t like any of them. Sorry, but I’m being objective.

As for testing (and internet “shoot-outs”):
Only one variable should be tested.
The signal of the sound bites should be free of distortion. However, the kicker is this: The results should be objectively quantifiable and repeatable. Internet shoot-outs and polling have an inherent flaw. In this specific case with sound, there are as many set of playback devices and ears as opinion scores. So only one opinion would count, as summing opinions is invalid.

The good news here, is that one form of IR isn’t replacing the other. We are each free to choose.

it switches back and forth when I switch between legacy and DC channels in the cab block
correct behavior as far as I understand - when you go to DC mode, IC is specific to the DC cab selected (I'm assuming Fractal measured the DC cabs' resonances to get correct values). When you flip over to legacy, IC goes to whatever IC curve you selected (or defaulted to) directly in the amp block.

I still think there's too many open variables to conclude poll results are relatable to the DC or legacy process alone, but good work on the doing the tests and managing the poll - I think the generated discussions are useful - sorry if my posts seem overly harsh/snark.

I still think there's too many open variables to conclude poll results are relatable to the DC or legacy process alone, but good work on the doing the tests and managing the poll - I think the generated discussions are useful - sorry if my posts seem overly harsh/snark.
+1

It was never the intention to do a conclusive shootout between DC and legacy. I just thought it was fun and interesting to test them out side by side
Well at least 19 people were able to overcome the insurmountable challenges posed by this indisputable and conclusive Scientific America sound study on IR’s and share their opinion with a vote on which they liked best! 🤣 My favorite response was the “I don’t need to be told what I like” but then didn’t give an opinion as to which were which. That alone was worth this thread!

I tested out playing through the LT TV Mix 7 with the 4x12 Greenback and the 4x12 TV curves and it actually makes a pretty big difference. Also, the TV Mix 7 is a SM7 + 421 +121 mix, so you'd be better off trying the dynamic 2, which sounds to me like the SM7. Also, there's no 421 and the ribbon mic might also be different, so you still might not be able to get it to match.

Just different approaches.
I do use around seven or eight different IR‘s and all of them are York Audio.
I can dial in a tone that I need very quick.

Dyna Cabs are awesome but actually I do need more time to dial in a tone then with my IR‘s that I usually use.
But I will have massive fun with the Dyna Cab when the final version is released.

Actually I‘m missing something with the Dyna Cabs that @My name is mud allready mentioned. There is some kind of mid thump that maybe depends on which Mic Pre you use etc.

Well at least 19 people were able to overcome the insurmountable challenges posed by this indisputable and conclusive Scientific America sound study on IR’s and share their opinion with a vote on which they liked best! 🤣 My favorite response was the “I don’t need to be told what I like” but then didn’t give an opinion as to which were which. That alone was worth this thread!
Ok, we get it, you voted. Move on. laugh.gif

One thing: I did do careful leveling of all the sound clips using integrated LUFS. In both runs, the DynaCabs are ~1 dB lower in level (before my leveling) compared to the Legacy IRs.
I've found the same so far - a 1dB bump on the Cab block Level matches them pretty closely.

I think the way to get a more legit A/B comparison would be if the legendary @2112 were to attempt to replicate one of his IR’s using DynaCab and then compare the two.

Back
Top Bottom