Which cab setting do you prefer

• I prefer scenes 1&3

Votes: 28 93.3%
  • I prefer scenes 2&4

Votes: 2 6.7%

• Total voters

Smittefar

Axe-Master
Has there even been a single DynaCab vs. Legacy shootout?

Here are four sound bites - all use Plexi 6cA7 Jumped, first two on a very saturated setting playing a homemade riff, second two much cleaner playing Little Wing.

Scenes 1&3 uses the same 'cab' while scenes 2&4 uses the same cab.

The Dynacab is the 1960TV with a blend of Dynamic 1 and the Ribbon
The IR is @2112's LT TV Mix 7

At this moment, I don't even remember, which is which myself.

So which cab do you prefer? 1&3 or 2&4, which one do you think is the DynaCab?

I considered making another video, where I shifted the other way - Sound is SO jarring, when you switch from one IR to any other.

Reactions: Ole
Come on guys - It is the same cab type, and I am pretty sure, I got the mics right - although the two 'cabs' clearly sound different - Anyway - people seem to think DynaCab simply sounds better, and they do have different IR length - so it should not be that difficult to hear ... right?

Come on guys - It is the same cab type, and I am pretty sure, I got the mics right - although the two 'cabs' clearly sound different - Anyway - people seem to think DynaCab simply sounds better, and they do have different IR length - so it should not be that difficult to hear ... right?
Is the IC set the same for both? That can make a huge difference - even more than mic typ. But also - with 2 different cabs, even tho same cab type (can't even be sure the same speaker brand/types are loaded in both) - not sure what the comparison shows other than peeps like one cab more than the other. (Pre could also be different + we don't have any confirmation of what "Ribbon" is, in Dynacab).

Last edited:
I really do think this a flawed test. Maybe a better way to do it would be to post the preset, and see who can come closest to matching the sound of the LT TV 7 using a Dyna Cab? I don’t know……

Could be a very different cab (old TV vs new etc), different speakers, different mic types, different mic position and distance, different preamps…

IR resolution doesn’t say much about quality.

IMHO the Dyna-cabs aren’t necessarily “better” than some others, but they sound authentic, clear and consistent.

The only way to really have a valid comparison between Legacy and Dyna cab is to have the capture signal chain EXACTLY the same, and then the results processed to Dyna cab and with the same specific mic array locations as the Legacy. Two speakers of the same type are sonically similar, but not identical. It was mentioned Neve pres (what type?: Forte, ISA, R88, 1084, 1073?) are in the chain for Dynacab instead of API: These are significant differences. With SO many variables that are different between the two, comparisons are misleading when its not possible to account for what is causing the differences.

People hate these blind tests because they can’t confirm their bias and what if they are wrong? So they will find some sort of fault with the methodology or the signal chain or it is too loud, too soft, must be solo / must be in a mix etc. I prefer 1&3 and suspect they are the legacy.

I think you're missing the point. If you really made identical setups, the resulting IRs would be identical except for the legacy IR being longer - and yes, I think longer sounds noticably better.

When i read the beta thread, people were raging on how dyna cabs was like lifting a blanket of of the speaker. I definitely don't hear that much of a difference.

Edit: since I cannot remember which is which (but I can find out), I am also listening blind, and I too prefer 1&3, although both works for me

since I cannot remember which is which (but I can find out), I am also listening blind, and I too prefer 1&3, although both works for me
which might only prove that you like the speakers installed in cabs 1&3 better (or other possible items noted above that are independent of the Dynacab Process vs Legacy).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom