Dyna Cabs...why don't I get it?

I've tried (and I'm used to micing proper cabs)but I just can't get on with the concept, or even understand why they are there..its just more option overload and an even bigger Rabbit Hole than the IR one..

Struggled all weekend with Dyna Cabs, tried everything I can think of and switching back to a Legacy/Regular IR resulted in instant gratification and just blew DC's out of the water - OK, familiarity and all that comes into play I appreciate that, but I just don't get it..

Anyone else feel the same or am I missing something?

Popcorn available...:laughing:
I gig every weekend or at minimum 3 out of 4 a month and the Dyna cabs are in my opinion really good easy to dial in and there’s no option overload like the normal irs (I did have a few favs) but i think if you just work them as you did normal irs to find your favorites you will be rewarded good luck

I've tried (and I'm used to micing proper cabs)but I just can't get on with the concept, or even understand why they are there..its just more option overload and an even bigger Rabbit Hole than the IR one..

Struggled all weekend with Dyna Cabs, tried everything I can think of and switching back to a Legacy/Regular IR resulted in instant gratification and just blew DC's out of the water - OK, familiarity and all that comes into play I appreciate that, but I just don't get it..

Anyone else feel the same or am I missing something?

Popcorn available...:laughing:
My approach to cabs has been this: I run my fractal to output 3 into a poweramp into a real guitar cab with NO cab block. I then on the grid a row below add a cab block at end of signal going to out 1. So I have signal going to real guitar cab with no ir and I have the signal going out to foh with cab block.
Then using the real cab and a set of reference headphones try and get the cab ir to sound as close as possible to the real cab. This method helps while gigging when you make a slight change in tone depending on the room your in you basically or as close as possible have the
Same sound going to foh as what you hear onstage with the real cab as a monitor. This is just my method it works for me.

Re the Neve vs API thing, * so many * great records have been made with both, and with other mic pre's too, that just can't be the gating factor between great and crappy IRs.

Do you even know what pre's your favorite third party IRs were made with? Was it always the same one?

For me, the jury is still out on whether the Dyna Cabs are 'better' or just 'different'. On thing I have noticed, is that the cab levels seem a bit low. I am boosting them 3 dB to match the IR's that I have.

I was going to draw a silly flow chart but this thread is non-constructive enough (probably in part due to the click-baity thread title.)

Did you try it?
Do you like it?
If you're comparing, are you comaring the very same cab(s) and mic(s)?
Are you sure you're being objective?
Do you want to keep trying?

In short, try it. If you like it, use it.
If not, move along.

On thing I have noticed, is that the cab levels seem a bit low.
Not sure why quite a few see this as some sort of minor issue - some IR's outputs are a bit higher, some are a bit lower - just like amps - normal no? - and yes, DC seems to be a bit lower generally - so what!. If the preset has been levelled properly then the active IRs output level in relation to any other IR is irrelevant.

Last edited:
I was going to draw a silly flow chart but this thread is non-constructive enough (probably in part due to the click-baity thread title.)

Did you try it?
Do you like it?

If not, move along.
Click Baity? Ok, apologies if you think it is..and in all fairness to me, the thread has gathered it’s own momentum…

My #1 post does state I have tried, quite a few times to get it to sound how I would expect but it just didn’t sound right, when I gravitated back to my usual IR it was all there.. so perhaps I’m just an IR guy end of.

Some of the comments and facts on here have helped me to understand things a bit better and I’ve made progress with DC’s today.

Close/Delete the thread if it’s annoying some of you, cool with me.

I have tried, quite a few times to get it to sound how I would expect but it just didn’t sound right, when I gravitated back to my usual IR it was all there.. so perhaps I’m just an IR guy
this tells me you are still missing the key related point made above - it only makes sense to try and compare legacy to dynacab if you are comparing the same cab / mic / mic position... (and I'll throw in pre + SIC curve also). If those items are not the same between the two platforms you are trying to compare apples to oranges and your dissatisfaction with not being able to get DC to sound like your fav legacy (or 3rd pty) IR probably has nothing to do with the DC vs legacy platforms.

Last edited:
this tells me you still may be missing the key related point made above: it only makes sense to try and compare legacy to dynacab if you are comparing the same cab / mic / mic position (and I'll throw in pre + SIC curve also). If those items are not the same between the two platforms you are trying to compare apples to oranges and your dissatisfaction with not being able to get DC to sound like your fav IR really has nothing to do with the DC vs legacy platforms.
Yeah thanks, as an FYI I was using similar- my main go to IR is one of the TV mixes so used the 1960TV and mic/mics have always been 57/121 - I suppose my main frustrations lie with more tweakable parameters to deal with rather than the whole what’s better..

I’m happy, I’ve got more to work with from this thread.

Yeah thanks, as an FYI I was using similar- my main go to IR is one of the TV mixes so used the 1960TV and mic/mics have always been 57/121 - I suppose my main frustrations lie with more tweakable parameters to deal with rather than the whole what’s better..

I’m happy, I’ve got more to work with from this thread.
When comparing, did have the SIC values on the amp block speaker page (LowFreq, LFReso, LFQ, HiFreq, HFReso, HFQ) set the same for both? As I mention above, SIC can have a huge impact - even the exact same IR can sound vastly different to another exact instance of itself with different SIC values employed. The "pre" can also make a difference as mentioned above, and, if comparing to a legacy or 3rd pty "mix IR", how did you confirm that the two were mixed in exactly the same proportions. I suppose you could keep chipping away at trying to make an apples to apples comparison but it might be impossible given limited detail available on exactly how a given legacy/3rdpty IR was made vs DC.

Last edited:
When comparing, did have the SIC values on the amp block speaker page (LowFreq, LFReso, LFQ, HiFreq, HFReso, HFQ) set the same for both? As I mention above, SIC can have a huge impact - even the exact same IR can sound vastly different to another exact instance of itself with different SIC values employed. The "pre" can also make a difference as mentioned above, and, if comparing to a legacy or 3rd pty "mix IR", how did you confirm that the two were mixed in exactly the same proportions. I suppose you could keep chipping away at trying to make an apples to apples comparison but it might be impossible given limited detail available on exactly how a given legacy/3rdpty IR was made vs DC.
Yeah, that’s the entrance to the rabbit hole!!

SIC I think is the one of the main culprits here and has made a difference this afternoon with my progress, I don’t think that is emphasised enough in the release notes or any documentation the impact it has on everything.

Thanks for your help!!! Progress is now being made…

Yeah, that’s the entrance to the rabbit hole!!

SIC I think is the one of the main culprits here and has made a difference this afternoon with my progress, I don’t think that is emphasised enough in the release notes or any documentation the impact it has on everything.

Thanks for your help!!! Progress is now being made…
SiC could make a rabbit hole with leg/3rd pty IRs for folks who would audition for an authentic cab IR, then, on top of that audition to find a matching authentic SIC. With DC, a matching, authentic to DC selected, SiC is determined and deployed automatically for you, but you can still choose SiC totally manually, or approximated with amp choice, in DC if you want to.

Last edited:
Looks like AXE-FX III users, including me, were overhyped? Haven't seen such a discussion on the AXE-FX III forum.

I think after the looong wait, some people were expecting DC to actually sound better than the thousands of IRs we already have, when in fact, they sound the same. I think they forgot it's just another way to skin a cat, and you end up at essentially the same place no matter which path you take to get there.

I'm just over here munching snacks waiting for faster amp channel switching. Hopefully that's on the radar. Whatever the case is, we have all received more than we could have ever imagined possible with modeling from FAS.
I mean, I can practically grab and amp block with an amp at default settings and my favorite cab IR and sound better than I have ever sounded live. All this in a black box that weighs less than my backpack with mics and spare cables in it.

Last edited:
I dig them. TV cab w dynamic 1 & ribbon mic took a few mins to be happy with where I was. Saved my previous goto in channel B as a just in case of emergency. Lol.... As a fm3 user I appreciate the few extra cpu % as well. Like M@ said.... If you like it use it. If not don't. At least the option is there for all and that's cool.

Did you try it?
Do you like it?

If not, move along.
Mmmhmm.

I'm digging them, it gives more options from one source. When you consider the range of cone adjustment on a single DC cab alone is equal to what, 30 IR's or more?

Back
Top Bottom