Dyna Cabs...why don't I get it?

Once upon a time in a world before IRs, this was just how it was done. And now we’ve come full circle to doing it this way again, just in the digital realm.
Look at it like this. If you were starting a preset from scratch and did not already have a favorite IR (which in and of itself is tonally limiting), what’s faster? Scrolling thru a list of hundreds of IRs or pulling up a virtual cab and moving the virtual mic around until you get something that sounds good?

Before DynaCabs, I was very sure the IRs I was running were probably somewhere in the top 20% of what my favorite sound was. But I was exhausted from scrolling and listening, taking a break, and repeating that. I settled. I knew there were better sounds I'd like, but I stopped looking. Now, literally in the 20 minutes of moving 4 mics around on 4 speakers, I think I have the best possible sound I could have.

Hypothetically, suppose you loaded up a DynaCab version of your favorite IR - it exactly replicates it. What are the odds of that being perfect for your taste, as opposed to trying a half cm move of a mic here or there, and seeing how that sounds? Being able to do that is huge.

Let’s think about you favorite IR for a minute. It has a sonic profile. It may be dark/bright/mid scooped/mid bumped etc etc etc. That IR will work great on certain amps but hold others back. What if an amp has a particularly beautiful sizzle high end to it but you like your dark IR? The IR will hold this back and you’ll either never know or you’ll shy away from the amp without being able to appreciate all of its characteristics fairly.

Your Dyna Cab, you can move mics around so that amp with the nice sparkle, when you get to a spot on the speaker that lets that breathe and really picks up that frequency well, you can go “ahhhh, well that sounds nice”.

Sign me up for the popcorn

That’s not what it does …

the matrix guns GIF by RJFilmSchool

Hypothetically, suppose you loaded up a DynaCab version of your favorite IR - it exactly replicates it.
Well, yes, hypothetically, except for the difference of the Neve pre-amp that was used, or different mics that replaced the old ones, or a cab that sounded better than the original one for some reason.

When Cliff first gave us a preview of what he was working on the IR quickly became my favorite and replaced my previous choices in many presets. I tend to avoid 4x12 cabs and condenser mics, but that particular one made me think differently.

Same. I’ve played with it for a while from when it was available on the axe fx. I prefer my go to IRs though.
The IR selection process was painful. But having spent years on IRs and whittling it down to my favorite IRs for clean, crunch and heavy, which also work well together in a preset, work well with the music and bands I play with, match how my amps are dialed, work with my guitars and pups etc., I can’t quite get there with dynacabs.

That said, dynacabs are definitely a much better interface for IRs. Just that I don’t want to start over.

For recording, dynacabs are amazing. To make something fit in a mix, I usually need some subtle eq type adjustments, which is much easier to get when moving a mic.

DynaCab gives you the option to act like you’re putting a real mic on a real cab in the studio.

It did not instantly give me the knowledge and skill set to be effective at that.

All the IR’s I use are dialed in by experts. I don’t see my futzing around getting close to their results.

I’m really looking forward to the really great DynaCabs that are made available to use from the experts.

good thread, informative and gets me up to speed, looks promising, any additional functionality that is gifted is always welcomed imo.
Be slick if we could import our favorite IRs into the dyna-cab eco system but I defiantly look forward working with it.

DynaCab gives you the option to act like you’re putting a real mic on a real cab in the studio.

It did not instantly give me the knowledge and skill set to be effective at that.

All the IR’s I use are dialed in by experts. I don’t see my futzing around getting close to their results.

I’m really looking forward to the really great DynaCabs that are made available to use from the experts.
What am I missing? Won’t third-party Dyna-Cabs still require you to move the mic around?

That’s what 3rd party stuff is.

They take the tools Fractal provides, and then they turn the knobs, press the buttons, move the mics, etc.

If you can do all that on your own effectively, or you just want to use factory presets and factory cabs, you’re all set.

Like, there aren’t rules to this, but people have mic’d cabs before. It’s well documented what works and what doesn’t.

This mic goes right up on the cone, this mic goes further away, you mix them like this…. Etc. I’ve forgotten most of what I know about that stuff, and I’m too busy being busy to really work on it. But some day, Austin Buddy, or Moke, or someone will release fantastic configurations. I think Leon Todd already did.

That’s what 3rd party stuff is.

They take the tools Fractal provides, and then they turn the knobs, press the buttons, move the mics, etc.

If you can do all that on your own effectively, or you just want to use factory presets and factory cabs, you’re all set.
I don’t think so…..If you want to use IRS that already have the mic positions set, you would use Legacy third-party cabs.

I don’t think so…..If you want to use IRS that already have the mic positions set, you would use Legacy third-party cabs.
So no one on Earth could possibly set it better than me? Or you? What are you saying? The Legacy third-party cabs are the sum total of mic/position combos any can make so why bother?

The mic will be moved around for you. They know, or will find, the sweet spots.

You’ll be able to tweak further if you want.
That’s not how Dyna-Cabs work. We are presented with the range of movements made by the robot, and adjust and select our sound from them.

If you want an expert to pick mic positions for you then the Legacy interface and cabs are available.

Back
Top Bottom