dyna cab mic position questions

The 160 has been my go-to IR mic for a while now. I’m finding I can get similar sounds (particularly in the mids) by combining Dynamic 2 and the Condenser mics. Really awesome tones are readily available here with some brief experimentation and imagination. Sometimes having limitations forces creativity. I’m really enjoying dialing these cabs in with the current tools. It’s a breeze compared to endless IR auditions.

They have an unpleasant spike in the highs that I just can't seem to dial out, right in the range that would articulate the attack of consonants like the letter T....

Mostly I lean on a ribbon pulled back a bit. Occasionally one of the dynamics, depending on the amp/speaker. Once in a blue moon, the condensor....
The 421's unique presence peak is exactly what makes them cut through a dense mix, so for you it's a bug but for me it's a feature (and again, fill the body as needed with another mic etc). 👍

any tips would be appreciated
If using 2 microphones - try adjusting the volume of one of the microphones first before adjusting position and distance (similar practice to audio mixing).
If using 2 microphones and you want to smooth out the high end but don't want to adjust the position of the microphones - you could use the low pass filter in the cab block or you could adjust the phase of one of the microphones in the align tab (lengthen the IR by a few ms). If I'm using the dynamic 1 and say the ribbon I tend to adjust the dynamic 1 as I tend to prefer the sound - might be a placebo but I've found the same in Mikko 2 and Two Notes.

YMMV but for me, treating my rig as a bare bones fly rig gets me the best results as that's closest to my real world experience. Most backline gigs have the amp and mic already set and it's up to me to twiddle knobs for 20 seconds or less. Ironically, those have been my best tones.

When I kitchen sink myself, I get glorious at home tones, which just don't work live.

I'll take the limited cab selection and mic placement anytime over selecting from 2000 IR's. If I could only assign the x and y axis knobs to the performance page...

Thing about dyna cabs, much quicker now to get the cab to do a thing for a mix. That's not always the same thing as what sounds pleasing playing around. Just learn concepts regarding distance, placement respective to the cone, and microphone type.

Sean Meredith-Jones

I'm not really sure what the difference is dialing in a sound with an IR vs using a Dynacab. How do you find the IR that you like for a particular tone? Do you find the IR first then play with the tone controls on the amp? This is why I don't see much different. I set the amp to what I think it should be (usually neutral) dial in the Dyna Cab and then go back to the tone controls to make adjustments. I have found that it doesn't really take that long to dial in the mics.

I'm not really sure what the difference is dialing in a sound with an IR vs using a Dynacab.
I think it’s mostly interface preference. Some people like being able to drag the mic around.

The Dyna-Cabs themselves use experience learned from many years of FAS making IRs, a different pre-amp, probably some mics and cabs and speakers they’ve acquired in the interim that they like more, etc., so there are some differences in the sound of two similar cabs+speakers+mics.

How do you find the IR that you like for a particular tone?
I search for cabs with the speaker and mics I want, then audition them to find the mic position I want.

Do you find the IR first then play with the tone controls on the amp?
Nope, it’s interactive, I pre-adjust the amp for the gain structure I want, then find the cab I think would fit, then bounce back and forth fine-tuning both until I’m happy. The Dyna-Cabs make it easier to fine-tune the mic position because I don’t have to load a different IR.

I have some IRs in Cab blocks I like, so I can copy/paste them around or just stick them in the Block Library and I don’t need to go through the process again. That is true for both types.

This is why I don't see much different. I set the amp to what I think it should be (usually neutral) dial in the Dyna Cab and then go back to the tone controls to make adjustments. I have found that it doesn't really take that long to dial in the mics.
They are different controls with different effects on the signal though.

The amp tone controls affect how the Amp model generates the sound and can affect the gain and other aspects of the sound coming from that block. They can turn a sine wave into a square wave basically.

The Cab block’s basic controls don’t have that effect. In an IR player, IRs are more like an EQ curve that only adjust the frequency response of the wave coming from the amp. In the Cab block, kind of a glorified IR player, there are some secondary controls that can change the waveform but they’re in the preamp section.

Yes, the Cab block can emphasize the bass or highs depending on mic position and EQ curve, but that doesn’t replace the controls in the Amp block. I think of it this way: A Fender Deluxe has a certain sound, and we can adjust the tone controls for its traditional sound then leave them alone. We can then connect it to a 1x8” cab or a 1x15” cab and get radically different bass and treble response. Adjust the amp’s tone controls with either cab connected and the sound will change but not as much, however the amp’s behavior will change. It might get flubby or tinny but it will still have the overall sound of the speaker. Similarly do that with a Marshall or Mesa, the two sections affect the sound differently.

I'm not really sure what the difference is dialing in a sound with an IR vs using a Dynacab. How do you find the IR that you like for a particular tone? Do you find the IR first then play with the tone controls on the amp? This is why I don't see much different. I set the amp to what I think it should be (usually neutral) dial in the Dyna Cab and then go back to the tone controls to make adjustments. I have found that it doesn't really take that long to dial in the mics.
Still early in the conversion/adoption stage. One experience I've had already is that the Deluxe Reverb IRs I use sound great and I love them, but have always just been missing just a slight fullness/push at a note's initial attack. I am feeling this more with the DynaCab. Not sure how to describe it, but it feels maybe that magical missing x% better to me. :)

Still early in the conversion/adoption stage. One experience I've had already is that the Deluxe Reverb IRs I use sound great and I love them, but have always just been missing just a slight fullness/push at a note's initial attack. I am feeling this more with the DynaCab. Not sure how to describe it, but it feels maybe that magical missing x% better to me. :)
During the beta testing of the Dyna-Cabs I noticed the same thing. My description to myself was that they sounded "richer", there was a depth to them, not in increased low-end response, but in the quality. It's hard to pin down but I like it.

There is definitely something different going on with the dyna cab they sound full in a good way
Been working with the looper and getting some good results with1960tv dyn1 and ribbon

There is definitely something different going on with the dyna cab they sound full in a good way
Been working with the looper and getting some good results with1960tv dyn1 and ribbon
I think it depends on the Amp. A traditional Marshall sounds too scooped with the 1960TV. My guess is it is the Neve used to do the captures. I don't like mid-scooped tones unless I'm playing with a ton of gain. So, I had to mess with mic placement to get results that bring the mids back to where I want them.

I think it depends on the Amp. A traditional Marshall sounds too scooped with the 1960TV. My guess is it is the Neve used to do the captures. I don't like mid-scooped tones unless I'm playing with a ton of gain. So, I had to mess with mic placement to get results that bring the mids back to where I want them.
Back a little, off center a little, and you'll find it....

Kind of a sad thread to be honest. I wonder how many of you have owned amps, played in a cover band, and ran your own sound? If you are using Fractal to play live it's simple: Dynacab is essentially like putting a real 57 on a speaker. 30 years I put that mic up against the grill cloth of my Marshall and about 2 or 3 inches to the right of the cone. It simplifies the crazy IR hunt for sure. Plug and play. Personally, I set up two presets for my gig this weekend, one with a Dynacab and one with my go to IR, Leon's LT TVMIX 7 and preferred the IR. But that's the beauty of Fractal and Amp modeling - the ability to find your sound (with no rules) and rock.

Sorry I'm late to the party. This is exactly what I do playing live... I run an IR with a single 57. I always mic'd with a 57 years ago on a real cab so why should it be any different now if the modelers are as good as everyone says they are? I really doubt anyone live is putting a 57, 121/160, and a mic on the back of the cab before a gig.
In my situations, I'm just trying to replicate what I would be doing if I purchased the real amp.
Currently I just find the applicable IR for the amp model and cycle through the 57's until I like it. Then use the "proximity" parameter to give it some gerth.

Sorry I'm late to the party. This is exactly what I do playing live... I run an IR with a single 57. I always mic'd with a 57 years ago on a real cab so why should it be any different now if the modelers are as good as everyone says they are? I really doubt anyone live is putting a 57, 121/160, and a mic on the back of the cab before a gig.
In my situations, I'm just trying to replicate what I would be doing if I purchased the real amp.
Currently I just find the applicable IR for the amp model and cycle through the 57's until I like it. Then use the "proximity" parameter to give it some gerth.
Pretty much my exact process!

Back
Top Bottom