Dyna Cab for live

Alainarose

Inspired
I am enjoying the new Dyna Cab feature and am really liking this new awesome feature. I like many on this board has been playing guitar for decades but like many have never miked up a cabinet as I am mainly a basement rocker in my studio. For the seasoned veterans, how does one dial in a good Dyna Cab tone for playing live (ie band levels)? In my studio I have 2 Atomic CLRs that sound both great at low whisper volume levels and great at stage volumes. Due to the FM curve I have patches set up for both low volume and high volume play.

With the new Dyna Cab feature, I can get great cabinet tones at low volumes but I am having a difficult time in getting the Dyna Cabs to translate to stage volume. I mainly play the BE100, Atomic, JCM800 or 5153 amp sims (think EVH/80s hard rock) for my baseline and usually mix either GB/V30s or the TV cab with V30s.

I have tried different cabs, 1 cab, 2 cabs, 3 cabs, 4 cabs some with dynamic mics, some with condenser mics and different mic placements.

I know the answer is to play around to find something that works but do any of the seasoned veterans have a good baseline cabinet, mic and mic placement to give me a better starting point so these cabinets will translate well at stage volumes? I understand the whole move the mic away from center to make it sound less high end sounding and away from the speaker to make is sound less bassy.

Any pointers would help me and probably many others.

Robert

I just can seem to get these to sound lively and upfront when at stage type volumes.

With a BE100 sim I am running the following Dyna Cabs

Friedman V30 Dynamic
Friedman GB Condensor
Friedman GB Condensor
Friedman V30 Dynamic
All with mikes at different distances from cap and away from speaker to try to take out the shrill and other factors.

I also tried the same with a TV Cab and a V30 cab one with Dynamic and one with Condensor. Little more lively.

I finally have found how to dial in FRFR's and IR's and I know these Dyna Cabs are the way to go so I am aware this is just an operator error at this point.

I just can seem to get these to sound lively and upfront when at stage type volumes.
How are you monitoring? Advice will differ depending on your answer.

Here's my current FW22 BE Preset for Stereo FRFR. I wouldn't recommend it if you are using a tube power amp and cab. :D If you want to adjust the overall tone on it, start with the tone controls in the cab block preamp section.

Notes: I've only tested this preset to up to around 85dB. so this may sound like junk at higher volumes and may require adjustment. The 'clean' scene is using a Band Commander model. The (Dry) scenes retain a hint of delay and reverb mix.

Edit : Sorry I just realized you posted your monitoring setup in the original post and are using stereo FRFR.

Attachments

• BEloved 22.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 4
How are you monitoring? Advice will differ depending on your answer.

Here's my current FW22 BE Preset for Stereo FRFR. I wouldn't recommend it if you are using a tube power amp and cab. :D If you want to adjust the overall tone on it, start with the tone controls in the cab block preamp section.

Notes: I've only tested this preset to up to around 85dB. so this may sound like junk at higher volumes and may require adjustment. The 'clean' scene is using a Band Commander model. The (Dry) scenes retain a hint of delay and reverb mix.

Edit : Sorry I just realized you posted your monitoring setup in the original post and are using stereo FRFR.
In my studio I have 2 Atomic CLRs that sound both great at low whisper volume levels and great at stage volumes. Due to the FM curve I have patches set up for both low volume and high volume play.

In my studio I have 2 Atomic CLRs that sound both great at low whisper volume levels and great at stage volumes. Due to the FM curve I have patches set up for both low volume and high volume play.
That's the right way to do it for sure. Having it dialed in for the different volumes is not something you want to try and handle at the gig especially if there is little to no sound check.

Back
Top Bottom