Dweezil Zappa Presets

Ant Music

Fractal Fanatic
I remember years ago seeing (somewhere on the net) a bunch of presets that Dweezil had produced and a bunch of sound samples of them. I think he may have even been selling them or something like that.

I have no idea where that was or how to find it again (I thought it was n his website). I remember there being a bunch of really cool filter type sounds among them. I'm sure they wouldn't be supported by the newer FW versions anyway but I'd love to hear some of those sound samples.

Anyone have any ideas?

They were part of a pledge music thing he did some years ago. I’m not at liberty to share them. , but truth be be told, only a few were of any use to anyone who doesn’t have a dual Axe setup, his floorboard, and his fingers.....there were a few cool ones tho....

They were part of a pledge music thing he did some years ago. I’m not at liberty to share them. , but truth be be told, only a few were of any use to anyone who doesn’t have a dual Axe setup, his floorboard, and his fingers.....there were a few cool ones tho....

Yup, same experience here.

Would be cool if they could be adapted and updated for the Axe-Fx III by Dweezil (if possible?) and offered up again.:cool:

Would be cool if they could be adapted and updated for the Axe-Fx III by Dweezil (if possible?) and offered up again.:cool:
@austinbuddy just brought up the possibility of using your new Mic IRs to help achieve just that...hope he has some better/different ones than were in DZ’s offering...DZ himself has most likely moved on from them.

@austinbuddy just brought up the possibility of using your new Mic IRs to help achieve just that...hope he has some better/different ones than were in DZ’s offering...DZ himself has most likely moved on from them.
I would think that DZ's stuff would have a treasure trove of effect block settings though?

Looking forward to whatever @austinbuddy is able to revive?

The only preset that I would be interested in is his Dynaflange sound. Is it any good? Maybe share only that preset? :)

Or just maybe at least a snapshot of what it looks like and/or sound sample? I'm pretty sure dillweed wouldn't mind or whatever his name is don't kno much about him

Yeah I'd love to hear a sound sample of the Dyna Flange. I don't even know what it does but it sounds interesting.

His rig and routing is so complex, I'm guessing that it would take a lot of tweaking to get it to sound good on someones "normal" rig.
He does have some great and interesting tones !

His rig and routing is so complex, I'm guessing that it would take a lot of tweaking to get it to sound good on someones "normal" rig.
He does have some great and interesting tones !

Yes but if we would have the Dynaflange Flanger block that wouldn't be a problem...:)

Just really curious about his settings for this since I never heard a convincing emulation from anyone else. I have a tried a lot myself also.

I thought DZ needed two AFX2 units to get the proper dynaflange sound that FZ got.

The Dynaflange itself was just a flanger effect that could be controlled by the input level rather than on a time basis. You can do that quite easily within the AFX flange effect by attaching a controller to one or more parameters. However, Frank used *two* of them in his rack in parallel signal chains and dialed in differently into separate amps--it was quite complex, from what I recall reading. If you put a dynamically controlled flanger in front of your amp sim, it acts like a very interesting filter and not like the "swoosh" effect we normally think of a flanger doing.

There is a basic DynaFlange preset I threw in for bonus fun in the 1000+ Naked Amps Tonepack for the Axe III, it is based on an older preset Dweezil made pre-Quantum era. I'm pretty fortunate to have heard version of this sound for 10 years know watching Dweezil play live and at his Dweezilla music boot camps.

Key concepts to make a convincing DynaFlange preset:

1. hard stereo panning - it's TWO signals, one is dry and the other delayed slightly (and warbles)

2. use two different sounding amps panned hard, different cabs. One might be a 1X6, the other might be a 2x12.

3. maybe use GEQ before or after the amp on each side - left and right -- boosting/emphasizing/subtracting the opposite frequencies from the other side, to accentuate the stereo effect (like a comb effect in stereo, but without sounding phase-y).

4. Use a mono digital delay block with hard pan to one side, and volume block in parallel to delay (not series) panned the other way, after the amps, and set up the delay with a short ms time (maybe it goes from 5ms to 28ms in varying way) that is also tied to a modifier like envelope (or maybe pitch) -- one that knocks the delayed signal out of tune based on dynamics of how you play and hit the notes. With the real DynaFlanger, it gloriously whacks out of tune on one side while the the other panned side stays dry. That's one reason the sound is so huge.

Dweezil has used phasers, chorsus, rotarys on different sides of pan to spatially spread the sound out and make it even cooler.

5. Use a Wah in front - try it cocked and rock it slowly to accentuate notes. A real fuzz pedal doesn't hurt the overall effect/sound either!

M@tt may have other ideas...here is a screen shot of the Axe III one, but it's dated and he has used the delay/volume block in parallel trick now to make the preset smaller...

Screen Shot 2018-09-09 at 1.26.08 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-09 at 1.24.43 AM.png

Last edited:
There is a basic DynaFlange preset I threw in for bonus fun in the 1000+ Naked Amps Tonepack for the Axe III, it is based on an older preset Dweezil made pre-Quantum era. I'm pretty fortunate to have heard version of this sound for 10 years know watching Dweezil play live and tat his Dweezilla music boot camps.

Key concepts to make a convincing DynaFlange preset:

1. hard stereo panning - it's TWO signals, one is dry and the other delayed slightly (and warbles)

2. use two different sounding amps panned hard, different cabs. One might be a 1X6, the other might be a 2x12.

3. maybe use GEQ before or after the amp on each side - left and right -- boosting/emphasizing/subtracting the opposite frequencies from the other side, to accentuate the stereo effect (like a comb effect in stereo, but without sounding phase-y).

4. Use a mono digital delay block with hard pan to one side, and volume block in parallel to delay (not series) panned the other way, after the amps, and set up the delay with a short ms time (maybe it goes from 5ms to 28ms in varying way) that is also tied to a modifier like envelope (or maybe pitch) -- one that knocks the delayed signal out of tune based on dynamics of how you play and hit the notes. With the real DynaFlanger, it gloriously whacks out of tune on one side while the the other panned side stays dry. That's one reason the sound is so huge.

Dweezil has used phasers, chorsus, rotarys on different sides of pan to spatially spread the sound out and make it even cooler.

5. Use a Wah in front - try it cocked and rock it slowly to accentuate notes. A real fuzz pedal doesn't hurt the overall effect/sound either!

M@tt may have other ideas...here is a screen shot of the Axe III one, but it's dated and he has used the delay/volume block in parallel trick now to make the preset smaller...

View attachment 49510

View attachment 49508
Can you post a audio example please? I'd like to hear this in isolation.

I dunno... I wonder if it really needs to be that elaborate and that there might be some superfluous steps in there?

Any reason why you couldn't get this effect in a one Amp preset? I play mono always but I still want to get this sound if I can or at least something very close. Could you not get the effect of the "detuning" Flanger by having the Flange in parallel with 100% full mix?

Do you really think that the GEQ blocks are needed for this sound?

I'm not trying to be a twat or anything I am genuinely wondering though. I could be persuaded but my initial impression is that this might be a little over the top. Love to hear your explanation. :)

Also I found the steps you laid out a little confusing because they do not match the image that you've posted. Are you able to post an image of a preset that relates to the steps you've described?

Sorry if I'm asking a lot but I'd really love to get a grip on this sound and make it work for me in a mono set up if possible on an Axe Fx 2.

Last edited:
Can you post a audio example please? I'd like to hear this in isolation.

I dunno... I wonder if it really needs to be that elaborate and that there might be some superfluous steps in there?

Any reason why you couldn't get this effect in a one Amp preset? I play mono always but I still want to get this sound if I can or at least something very close. Could you not get the effect of the "detuning" Flanger by having the Flange in parallel with 100% full mix?

Do you really think that the GEQ blocks are needed for this sound?

I'm not trying to be a twat or anything I am genuinely wondering though. I could be persuaded but my initial impression is that this might be a little over the top. Love to hear your explanation. :)

Also I found the steps you laid out a little confusing because they do not match the image that you've posted. Are you able to post an image of a preset that relates to the steps you've described?

Sorry if I'm asking a lot but I'd really love to get a grip on this sound and make it work for me in a mono set up if possible on an Axe Fx 2.

Understood. I am trying to show you how Dweezil has done it in the past. He probably would have chided me if I posted this kind of details five years ago, but probably not these days.

The Dynaflange is a Stereo preset and sound/effect — that is what makes it sound so wide and big. It’s not just the flanger, it is the stereo spread and the warble/detune of one side of the stereo image while the other is dry. Those are the secrets. You can try to emulate it in mono by blending but your ears will not process the effect the same way.

I was helping a guy in Europe who was trying to emulate the Solo in Yo’ Mama ( which is pretty clean) and thus was inspired to share the above. Maybe if we get lucky we can get permission to share a real example from DZ, Fractal’s M@tt would be the guy for that, not me.

Last edited:
Understood. I am trying to show you how Dweezil has done it in the past. He probably would have chided me if I posted this kind of details five years ago, but probably not these days.

The Dynaflange is a Stereo preset and sound/effect — that is what makes it sound so wide and big. It’s not just the flanger, it is the stereo spread and the warble/detune of one side of the stereo image while the other is dry. Those are the secrets. You can try to emulate it in mono by blending but your ears will not process the effect the same way.

I was helping a guy in Europe who was trying to emulate the Solo in Yo’ Mama ( which is pretty clean) and thus was inspired to share the above. Maybe if we get lucky we can get permission to share a real example from DZ, Fractal’s M@tt would be the guy for that, not me.

Yeh cool. Well there no chance of me going stereo. It just wouldn't work for the way I use my Axe. But I'm happy to just have the effect of the flange detuning and not be too fussed about the stereo imaging aspects of this sound. Are you able to post a solo sound recording of this effect?

Back
Top Bottom