Dweezil Zappa – On the Road with the Axe-Fx

Dweezil,
I really appreciate what you are doing with your father's catalog. It must be a rigorous journey given the shear volume and intensity of the music. I am impressed with your playing as well as your character. Add 1 more new fan to your list. You are a class-act.

-Dave

Dweezil, your guitar playing blew me away when I saw you in concert in Seattle, 2007! I thoroughly enjoyed all of the musicians in your band.

Thanks for sharing, here, and for taking the Axe Fx to new heights!

Ed

ekewaka said:
Dweezil, your guitar playing blew me away when I saw you in concert in Seattle, 2007! I thoroughly enjoyed all of the musicians in your band.

Thanks for sharing, here, and for taking the Axe Fx to new heights!

Ed

If you are talking about Pete Griffin (bass), Jamie Kime (guitar), and Joe Travers (Drums) they play together as Griffin Labs when ZPZ isn't on tour. I think there are a few more players. I don't know if they only play local to Los Angeles but I did see them for two or three songs at the Baked Potato in Studio City. Really great players.

I could kick myself for missing ZPZ when they were in or around L.A. but when they get back I am going to go for sure.

Porkchop Xpress said:
Dweezil,
I really appreciate what you are doing with your father's catalog. It must be a rigorous journey given the shear volume and intensity of the music. I am impressed with your playing as well as your character. Add 1 more new fan to your list. You are a class-act.

-Dave

+1

+1
Watched Classic albums ""Frank Zappa & The Mothers Of Invention: Over-Nite Sensation/Apostrophe" last night.
I was blown away.
The man's a genius.
I've got some Zappa CD's but I think I'll take another look at the whole catalogue ;-)
I am impressed with your playing as well as your character
I really enjoyed Dweezil's showing us the deatils in Frank('s music and his playing, especially on St Alfonzo's. It's just awesome.
Going througt all the music, learning all the intrinsics, figuring out all the different sounds...
It must be more than a daytime job and still he finds time to share all this with us.
Thanks for taking us on the journey.
Hats off to you sir!

MisterE said:
+1
Watched Classic albums ""Frank Zappa & The Mothers Of Invention: Over-Nite Sensation/Apostrophe" last night.
I was blown away.
The man's a genius.
I've got some Zappa CD's but I think I'll take another look at the whole catalogue ;-)
I am impressed with your playing as well as your character
I really enjoyed Dweezil's showing us the deatils in Frank('s music and his playing, especially on St Alfonzo's. It's just awesome.
Going througt all the music, learning all the intrinsics, figuring out all the different sounds...
It must be more than a daytime job and still he finds time to share all this with us.
Thanks for taking us on the journey.
Hats off to you sir!
Exactly. One of the things I could never understand is when a person will not share their "secrets" on how they get a certain tone or play a passage. To share music expands the development and growth of music in general and how can that be a bad thing? When I show someone how I play something and they expand on that idea, it becomes a living breathing thing.

Porkchop Xpress said:
Exactly. One of the things I could never understand is when a person will not share their "secrets" on how they get a certain tone or play a passage. To share music expands the development and growth of music in general and how can that be a bad thing? When I show someone how I play something and they expand on that idea, it becomes a living breathing thing.

It pushes you to grow and improve, too.

+1
And I feel that's the direction we should take.
Help each other to grow.
For the benefit of mankind...

Do I sound like a Trekkie now?

Anywho, thanks again to Dweezil for sharing. He inspired me and I hope someday I can contribute even if it's only in a small way.
Curently I'm still looking to learn to use the advanced parameters of modulation effects.

Tom King said:
http://www.atomicamps.com/Dweezil/MammySolo.mp3
http://www.atomicamps.com/Dweezil/OrangeSolo.mp3
http://www.atomicamps.com/Dweezil/WillyOnSpeed.mp3
http://www.atomicamps.com/Dweezil/PimpClip.mp3

I’d like to thank Dweezil for participating here on the forum, answering questions, sharing patches and overall being generous with his time and knowledge. We look forward to seeing more of him in the future.

-TK
I hadn't seen the clips up until now. Those are simply put THE SHIT!

Ed DeGenaro said:
[quote="Tom King":1e3ty9ic]

http://www.atomicamps.com/Dweezil/MammySolo.mp3
http://www.atomicamps.com/Dweezil/OrangeSolo.mp3
http://www.atomicamps.com/Dweezil/WillyOnSpeed.mp3
http://www.atomicamps.com/Dweezil/PimpClip.mp3

I’d like to thank Dweezil for participating here on the forum, answering questions, sharing patches and overall being generous with his time and knowledge. We look forward to seeing more of him in the future.

-TK
I hadn't seen the clips up until now. Those are simply put THE SHIT![/quote:1e3ty9ic]
the clips won't open for me :cry:
anyone else?

To play fan boy for a second here...
I was so into Zappa when I was kid, at 15 at my 2nd Zappa show, I had appendicitises, I stayed the whole show, made it home, collapsed and was hospitalized. But there was no way I was gonna miss that.
He was one of my big 3 "guitar idols" that reckless abandon, the harmonic freedom, the insane band interplay, etc...
Fast forward to the year vefore I moved to LA, I got turned on to Dweezil's EP, with the coolest cascading volume swell deelay thing. That just floored me. The 80s kinda made me forget about Frank, until Dweezil recorded My Guitar Wants To Kill Your Mama, I remembered how much my growing up was influenced by things liek "Fick mich Du miserabler Hundesohn!". I started getting back into Frank...big time.
Fast forward to a couple of years back, ZPZ started touring, and I kinda had this BS attitude that no one should "necrophile" Frank. I was going to boycott that.
So...my friend Anton (who besides being a multiple Grammy winner and amazing musician is a total Zappa freak) went and saw them, and was blown away. My friend Chris...scary, scary good guitarist, went and saw it.
I started to go and google stuff, and what I heard was so hip I couldn't believe it. I went and bought myself a ticket for like 60 bucks, I ended up getting a couple of passes and gave those to muso friends. This show had the ultimate mark of a great show, I spent the majority of the evening braying like a donkey, I was laughing so hard at the stunning musical adventures. The last time before I had this was when I saw Shawn lane the first time, and prior when I saw Dennis Chambes the first time.
This show and the next night are the ones from the ZPZ DVD...if you have not seen it, and you think you know what amazing is....YOU DON'T KNOW! Buy it! Now!
The following year it was just as amazing and that was without Vai and Bozzio. I ended up hanging with Jaimie, bringing him a couple of copies of Sheets Of Sound, and got to meet some of the guys in the band. Anyways, to get to a point here...sorry for the rant...
Comparing from memory the sound of the 2 gigs, and not from memory the DVD, to the clips here with the guitar hot, if the Axe-Fx wasn't viewed as a serious, serious tool I believe those would put it on the map.

Those clips sound great.... Really amazing playing as well.... (as usual)
I have an idea Dweezil how about six ultras one for each string with a polyphonic pickup !!! that would give you polyphonic amp overdrive etc....!!!

Actually the more I think about it and using effects it doesn.t sound like such a crazy idea. (just expensive)

ToneZappa said:
Those clips sound great.... Really amazing playing as well.... (as usual)
I have an idea Dweezil how about six ultras one for each string with a polyphonic pickup !!! that would give you polyphonic amp overdrive etc....!!!

Actually the more I think about it and using effects it doesn.t sound like such a crazy idea. (just expensive)
Technically, you "only" need three. :)
Possibly just two if you exploit the stereo channels, but that would limit your effect routing quite a bit more.

Back
Top Bottom