Dweezil Zappa – On the Road with the Axe-Fx

Tom King

Experienced
Dweezil is back on the road with Zappa Plays Zappa. And for those of you who haven’t heard, he’s distilled 2 massive rack towers, chock full of some the best guitar and studio gear ever created, down to a relatively diminutive but awesomely powerful dual Ultra rig. This includes the Axe-Fx replaceing his favorite tube amps.

The "brains" of the setup:
DZRigUpshot.JPG

Pictures by Thomas Nordegg
DZRigSideShot.JPG

Since getting his Ultra earlier this year, Dweezil has been hard at work harnessing the unit’s deep processing power and flexibility. His goal: To match his big rig originally inspired by his father’s legendary setup, effect-for-effect without compromise. Clearly, this is no small undertaking, considering many of the rare vintage effects aren’t even attempted in the Axe-Fx.

When Cliff and I visited the UMRK a couple of months ago, Dweezil had his sights on nailing what he felt was one of the keystone pieces of the rig – the very cool Dyna Flanger, which had been pulled directly from Frank’s collection. He figured that if the Axe-Fx could capture the nuances and quirks of that old gem - and how it reacted when driven by other effects in the chain like wah, it would be a great sign that the Ultra was up to the task. By the time we left that night, we were getting really close and by the time I spoke with Dweezil a couple of day later, he had it nailed. The rest is history.

As you might imagine with a hardcore effects junkie like Dweezil, he still maintains a small stash of pedals that he hasn't had the time to recreate in his Ultra or that have yet to have simulated counterparts in the Axe-Fx. But this is just the begging of the journey.

Rig onstage:
DZRigOnStageRS.jpg

Dweezil in Tokyo:
DweezInTokyoRS.jpg

Early on, Dweezil came to the conclusion that in order to take full advantage of all the tone shaping options and textures the Axe-Fx has to offer, the ideal solution would be to go the full-range route. Since then, he hasn’t looked back and is now plugging into FOH every night. He’s loving his setup and he reports that the only thing that no-one can figure out is where has he stashed his amps and cabs!

Harnessing the power!
DZRigBoardSwitchSide.JPG

Pictures by Thomas Nordegg
DZRigBoardPedalSide.JPG

Dweezil has sent me some really cool clips taken directly from the board from their recent Japanese and Australian dates. Here are a few with guitar mixed hot (just the way we like it) so you can clearly hear everything going with his patches. I believe these were recorded in Australia. Enjoy!

http://www.atomicamps.com/Dweezil/MammySolo.mp3
http://www.atomicamps.com/Dweezil/OrangeSolo.mp3
http://www.atomicamps.com/Dweezil/WillyOnSpeed.mp3
http://www.atomicamps.com/Dweezil/PimpClip.mp3

I’d like to thank Dweezil for participating here on the forum, answering questions, sharing patches and overall being generous with his time and knowledge. We look forward to seeing more of him in the future.

-TK

Fantastic! It's great for us and Fractal that someone as talented as Dweezil is onboard.

Dweezil's use of the Multiband comp enlightened me, I am loving the Axe more than ever and my tones are better than ever.

Thanks to everyone :D

Hey Tom, Thanks so much for posting these! That's really great. I PM'd Dweezil and guess what? He's going to come to my house and help me really dial in my Axe. ... NOT ! Seriously, a real testimony to what can be achieved w/ the Axe if one invests the time in tweaking and experimentation. I saw Frank live in the mid 70's. Awesome show. Awesome playing, orchestration and tone. Dweezil is carrying Frank's legacy and obviously has his dad's musical gifts. Go Dweezil! Can you imagine if Frank and Hendrix were still with us and what they might come up with using the Axe? Thanks again !

TonyGring said:
Hey Tom, Thanks so much for posting these! That's really great. I PM'd Dweezil and guess what? He's going to come to my house and help me really dial in my Axe. ... NOT ! Seriously, a real testimony to what can be achieved w/ the Axe if one invests the time in tweaking and experimentation. I saw Frank live in the mid 70's. Awesome show. Awesome playing, orchestration and tone. Dweezil is carrying Frank's legacy and obviously has his dad's musical gifts. Go Dweezil! Can you imagine if Frank and Hendrix were still with us and what they might come up with using the Axe? Thanks again !
I thought the same thing about SRV and others... but in all honesty I don't think they would change... just look at these old skool folks... Can you really see SRV (or B.B. King) playing a digital (pre)-amp?

Tom: Is he using one for live and one for backup? Also, is he using custom IR's or stock IR's? Big thanks for showing us this!

P.S. That's a big ass pedal board! What the hell is it? Loving the stickers, looks like Voes...

P.S.S. Um... shouldn't this be in the lounge?

Tom King said:
...As you might imagine with a hardcore effects junkie like Dweezil, he still maintains a small stash of pedals that he hasn't had the time to recreate in his Ultra or that have yet to have simulated counterparts in the Axe-Fx. But this is just the begging of the journey...-TK

Ummm...Can we take that as a spoiler? :eek:

Awesome! Great job Tom and congrats to you guys. I can only wonder how many gassers over at TGP will be pushed over the edge when they see this!

mortega76 said:
Tom: Is he using one for live and one for backup? Also, is he using custom IR's or stock IR's? Big thanks for showing us this!
99% of the time he is using one unit. There is one song that he uses a complex panning setup between amps where he blends the other unit in with an expression pedal to create a very specific effect. It has to do with a dirty and clean amp texture and how it feeds back if I am remembering correctly. Perhaps Dweezil will stop by and elaborate if he get the chance. :)

Very Nice. Mario from Axess electronics has some pics of this to (since Dweezil is using the FX1)
Hopefully he can share some of his recreations. I know......Axe-fx Ultra - Zappa Edition. ;)

WoW :shock: Thanks a lot Tom for the picture. It's very strange two ULTRA so close one to another ;)
And I'm very impressed by the pedalboard.

Awesome!

Man, I wish that I could be a full-time, professional musician.

Edit: :eek: Man! Those clips are stunning! "OrangeSolo", in particular blew me away. Has anyone posted this at thegearpage.net, yet?

Back
Top Bottom