Dunlop DVP5 X for volume and expression vs EV-2

Anyone weigh in here that is using either? I was planning to get two EV-2 pedals but have a chance to grab a couple Dunlop X pedals at a steal so thought I would ask.

Looks like a well built pedal. I can't find any info on the potentiometer value on the Expression output. So not sure how compatible it is?

I'm sure that someone here will know.

DVP4 user here. I’ve got two that I’ve used for years with both the III and FM9. Apart from having to clean the pots on one of them there’s been zero problems.

Looks like a well built pedal. I can't find any info on the potentiometer value on the Expression output. So not sure how compatible it is?

I'm sure that someone here will know.

Manual shows 250k for the volume side and 10k for the expression side, but doesn't specify the tapers. Most likely 250k log and 10k linear.

I've been using 2 EV2's for just over 4 years since I entered Fractal world. No issues whatsoever.
Thanks. Would you help me with how you connect them assuming you are using one as a volume pedal?

Are
You taking your guitar into the inputs and outputs of each pedal , and the expressions lack going TRS out to pdl inputs 1&2?

Or do you not need to use all the input and outputs of the EV-2? Probably a dumb question but I am new to modelers and have always done old school analog pedalboards.

Thanks. Would you help me with how you connect them assuming you are using one as a volume pedal?

Are
You taking your guitar into the inputs and outputs of each pedal , and the expressions lack going TRS out to pdl inputs 1&2?

Or do you not need to use all the input and outputs of the EV-2? Probably a dumb question but I am new to modelers and have always done old school analog pedalboards.
All you need to connect is the 'Expression' output to one of the 'Pedal' jacks on the FM9 with a single TRS x TRS cable (for each pedal). Then attach that particular 'Pedal' as the modifier for whatever parameter you wish to control.

All you need to connect is the 'Expression' output to one of the 'Pedal' jacks on the FM9 with a single TRS x TRS cable (for each pedal). Then attach that particular 'Pedal' as the modifier for whatever parameter you wish to control.
This is one of my favorite parts with using this unit live. My pedalboard includes an FC6, which connects to the 2 EV2's and two dual-switch external switches, and a permanently-connected 20' xlr cable that connects it it all to the AXE, which lives in a rack in the backline. The pedals' functions vary with whichever patch I'm using. On guitar it's usually Volume and Wah or Volume and FX blend. On bass it's usually Volume and IEM mix blend. Regardless of the configuration defined in the preset, the physical patching never changes.

Everything on the board connects using patch cables to connect to the FC6: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EBSPCFDLS28--ebs-pcf-dls28-flat-patch-cable-28cm-angle-angle

Not sure about the 5 , but had DVP4 (Compact one) and hated it. Really thought I wanted a mini pedal but I do alot of volume swelling and such and it didn't cut it. The way the magnetic strip works along with shaft, it had alot of play in it before it would start tapering. Too little throw and not enough tension. I now use a EV-2 and love it .

This is one of my favorite parts with using this unit live. My pedalboard includes an FC6, which connects to the 2 EV2's and two dual-switch external switches, and a permanently-connected 20' xlr cable that connects it it all to the AXE, which lives in a rack in the backline. The pedals' functions vary with whichever patch I'm using. On guitar it's usually Volume and Wah or Volume and FX blend. On bass it's usually Volume and IEM mix blend. Regardless of the configuration defined in the preset, the physical patching never changes.

Everything on the board connects using patch cables to connect to the FC6: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EBSPCFDLS28--ebs-pcf-dls28-flat-patch-cable-28cm-angle-angle

Thanks All!

This is very helpful. Ordering to EV-2 pedals tomorrow.

Not sure about the 5 , but had DVP4 (Compact one) and hated it. Really thought I wanted a mini pedal but I do alot of volume swelling and such and it didn't cut it. The way the magnetic strip works along with shaft, it had alot of play in it before it would start tapering. Too little throw and not enough tension. I now use a EV-2 and love it .

The DVP4 tension is adjustable - did you try tightening it? And the taper is of course entirely adjustable within the Fractal unit.

Throw is a physical limitation - so if that doesn’t work for you, then not the best option for you.

For reference, I use a DVP4, an EV1, and a Mission SP1 (modded for momentary switch) and they all work great with Fractal but each has a different throw and general feel. I prefer each for different things, but could easily use any one of them for almost all XPDL duties (the exception being that the Mission is not ideal for ‘set and leave mid-throw’).

The DVP4 tension is adjustable - did you try tightening it? And the taper is of course entirely adjustable within the Fractal unit.

Throw is a physical limitation - so if that doesn’t work for you, then not the best option for you.

For reference, I use a DVP4, an EV1, and a Mission SP1 (modded for momentary switch) and they all work great with Fractal but each has a different throw and general feel. I prefer each for different things, but could easily use any one of them for almost all XPDL duties (the exception being that the Mission is not ideal for ‘set and leave mid-throw’).
I should clarify that mine was a used one so it could have been a dud. I tightened it down as much as I could and it was still too loose for me compared to other pedals I have used. I When I say taper, i meant the physical throw of the pedal, meaning when I press down the throw would be loose before it caught and then would be very short before it reached the bottom. I tried replacing the magnetic strip which is the only serviceable part, other than adjusting the tightness on the cam (Different than tension) but even after that just never felt good to me so I got rid of it and bought an EV-2.

I really liked the DVP4 for the compact size (initially bought for a min board) , but for a full board with an FM-9, it just didn't cut it for me, as I use a volume pedal alot in my playing.

Back
Top Bottom