Dummies Questions about SS Power Amp!

Omri Bazelet

Inspired
Hi there!
I have checked out the manual of my Hotone Loudster solid state power amp (@FractalAudio a hint that Fractal need to create their own SS Power amp suited for the AX3 And the fm3 ) and they recommend using the unbalanced output of the modeler with a regular PL (TRS signal is weakned for some reason).

Now here's some of my questions!
1. The output is somewhat weak, so in order to get it "open" I set the amp level to 0db on each and every amp. What am I doing wrong?
2. Is there an unbalanced output at all in the AX3?
3. Does power amp need to get Line levels or instrument levels?

Thank you and love for all of you!
Omri

with a regular PL
A what?
1. The output is somewhat weak, so in order to get it "open" I set the amp level to 0db on each and every amp. What am I doing wrong?
You should not need to do that.

Set your Output Mode to +4dB instead of -10dB
2. Is there an unbalanced output at all in the AX3?
Output 1 1/4" L/R are unbalanced.

Output 3 and 4 are unbalanced, however they are designed more for unity gain operations... You might need to increase Level of the associated Output block.

Refer to the manual - pages 17-18.
3. Does power amp need to get Line levels or instrument levels?
Line level.

A what?

You should not need to do that.

Set your Output Mode to +4dB instead of -10dB

Output 1 1/4" L/R are unbalanced.

Output 3 and 4 are unbalanced, however they are designed more for unity gain operations... You might need to increase Level of the associated Output block.

Refer to the manual - pages 17-18.

Line level.
A mono 1/4" cable = PL.

What does PL stand for?
Phone line or phone lead I think. Super old school. 1/4" audio jacks and plugs were designed for telephone switchboard operators to use originally and were called phone plugs and jacks for many years.

telephone-switchboard-operator-1914-.jpg

Phone line or phone lead I think. Super old school. 1/4" audio jacks and plugs were designed for telephone switchboard operators to use originally and were called phone plugs and jacks for many years.

telephone-switchboard-operator-1914-.jpg
That's even before my time, and I'm older than dirt. LOL Cool to see someone that knows the origin of that one though. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom