dumb question - any "fix" for the loud pop you get when powering on/off?

I assume you mean the pop thru whatever monitoring system you're using? If so, traditionally when powering down, the first thing that gets turned off is the speakers/amp/etc. (powered ON last, powered OFF first).

Aside from that, I don't think you have many options. There are companies who make mic mute/cough switches, but that requires more gear:
https://www.sweetwater.com/c399--Mi...lPIrcHa8p_wsqPg2x7IaAvjKEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I assume you mean the pop thru whatever monitoring system you're using? If so, traditionally when powering down, the first thing that gets turned off is the speakers/amp/etc. (powered ON last, powered OFF first).

Not feasible in a FOH situation. Even in my studio it means turning off my audio interface which causes other issues.

Aside from that, I don't think you have many options. There are companies who make mic mute/cough switches, but that requires more gear:
https://www.sweetwater.com/c399--Mi...lPIrcHa8p_wsqPg2x7IaAvjKEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

The pop comes from the DC Bias discharging on the DC blocking cap. It happens no matter what the volume is set to. You have to either turn off FOH first, or mute the FM9 input on the console. Unplugging the cable from the FM9 will do the same thing, though a bit more gently.

Maybe contact support. I just powered my FM9 on and off with my monitors on, and literally hear no noise at all. I think a "loud" pop means there's a problem somewhere.

@Admin M@

Not feasible in a FOH situation. Even in my studio it means turning off my audio interface which causes other issues.
When I am on a gig or rehearsal and connected to FOH, I always just pull my XLRs before powering down.

At home, I only use headphones typically, so this hasn't been an issue. I do have my headphones on a headphone mixer and roll that volume down before powering down my Fractal.

I have studio monitors, 2 Yamaha DXR10's and 2 EV ELX 200's. All connected to a mixer. I have a Audio interface also. I ALWAYS just turn off the powered Speakers (whichever I am using at that time) and never a pop or anything. seems weird.

Clicking on the tuner should mute the output. Try turning on the tuner first and then power off.
I think there's a setting for whether using the tuner mutes your signal or not. Not at my Axe to check.

Power amp/monitor should always be the last on and first off.
All you folks suggesting this aren't thinking about FOH, are you... Maybe house mutes all channels during set changes, maybe not.

I wonder if phantom power from FOH might be to blame too. That would charge up the DC blocking caps in the FM9's outputs for sure.

I think there's a setting for whether using the tuner mutes your signal or not. Not at my Axe to check.

All you folks suggesting this aren't thinking about FOH, are you... Maybe house mutes all channels during set changes, maybe not.
We run our own sound and keep everything muted until everyone is plugged in and powered up and ready to sound check. <shrug>

Back
Top Bottom