dubsteppy madness

adam

Inspired
hey all,

this is a sort of dub step kinda thing. this is something i'm doing in a new track in our set. (my band doppio, which i've posted here in the past).

Tags: dubstep skrillex bassnectar electro dj controller bjork

supa-crazy synth stuff, using an ancient, floating floyd for glissando's (glissandi?) and an expression pedal to control modulation

thanks for listening.

i'm not sure how to embed the link (if someone wouldn't mind telling me, that'd be great!)

Dubsteppy madness mp3 by nectarstuff on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Dude, I think you just f'ed up my cats for life! You should have seen them it was hilarious. They took off like they were being shot out of a cannon.

haha... thanks for listening. you should hear it through a PA. huge. scares cats throughout the neighborhood :)

hey clark,

i had worked up a few similar patches in the ultra. this one is on the II. i'm not quite ready to share this patch. i'm working it up for a track, and part of our (my band doppio) thing is to build songs/tracks around my kooky patches, so they're kinda like a thumbprint :) i'll try to upload a screenshot of the basic setup, though, this week. and i can help guide you in the right direction.

cheers,

adam

by the way, i checked out some of the stuff in your signature. man, killer playing and tones!

i'm not sure how to embed the link (if someone wouldn't mind telling me, that'd be great!)
When you make a new post, click advanced. There is a soundcloud icon. click that and paste your link in between the ] [. This will embed the link. :)

How did you do this stuff? A guitar with a floyd rose and synth block? I'm very interested to learn

thanks funeral!

hey prometh (and clark), so the gist is amp-cab-synth-drive-filter (which is controlled by an lfo. i then control the lfo rate with a pedal)
-synth (in parallel and then back into the filter)

i've got some additional peq, drive and compression things happening, which have been tricky depending on what guitar i'm using, and finding a balance between the bass and the grit. i've also got a delay set up on another expression pedal, that i can bring in and out.

as i'd mentioned, i used a floating floyd to do pitch wheel/controller type actions, though i've recorded some passes on a hard tail, which i also really like.

the trickiest bit is to control the rate with the expression pedal. doing it this way, i don't have access to nailing tempo rates (quarter, eight, etc.), but with some practice, i'm able to "play" it for all sorts of craziness. on top of that, hitting harmonics, and jumping around for various runs in a choppy manner, gives me that sort of edited dubstep vibe.

i've got a number of different versions of this, i've thought of posting, but didn't want to overdo it :)

i've also got lots of trippy patches, doing all sorts of things, that i'll start posting along the way if anyone is digging a sort of left of center approach.

hope this helps,

adam

i also noticed that my post didn't quite line up the way i wrote it. so, the second synth block is parallel to the first.

Hmm, a filter would just create a sweep sound.. how did you get the rolling synth tones? Formed by glitches with chords and whammy?

i'm not sure what you mean. the filter is after both synth blocks. you can get cool sounds from the 2nd or 4th order. so, the filter's frequency controlled by the lfo. then, as mentioned i control the lfo rate with the pedal. so that's how you hear the modulation speed up and slow down. actually, i've got a pretty cool patch controlling the modulation via pitch, which is also fun.

i'm never hitting a chord. the whammy is doing all the dives and upward bends (the big ones, cause plenty of that is also just bending the strings).

i'm doing lots of little pedal movements, which can be quite drastic.

again, i'm not sure if i'm misunderstanding you. i'm still into discussing it (it's cool that someone's interested, haha!), but as for movement, that's all it is

Heheh, it's interesting :)

Perhaps those synth tones are created because the amp is placed before. Are you using high gain settings?

oh the tones... i've got a somewhat hi gain amp happening. i tried a lot of them, and they didn't make a huge difference since they're before the synth blocks. but there were differences of course. this patch makes use of all four (at the time) available oscillators, though i'm interested to see what else i can do now that there's more. so there's different octaves, different waves, some detuning going on to avoid phasing stuff, then the drives are after. so you can add a lot of hair, but (at least for me) it's a good idea to keep those frequencies out of the way of the bass. that's something i've tinkered with a lot on this. cause i had some almost metal things happening, which was cool, but it took away from the big synth bass thing i was trying to achieve. there's things where i have to just choose one thing over another cause i can't add modifiers to every parameter, which would add so much more dimension (hint hint cliff!)

the track we use this in, uses three patches. one that's kind of a glitchy, bjork kind of sound, this patch and then a super large and deep synth bass patch, with delay efx that i can play with on top, so it sounds like it's more than just one person. thing is, i can't play this through my atomic FR. so i'm now trying to figure out which loudspeaker to get. never ending rabbit hole! :)

Back
Top Bottom