Dual Signal Path

Jerry K.

Experienced
I am trying to create a patch where I can morph between two distinct amp paths like in the included picture. I thought that using a volume block and panning between the two would work but I must be doing something wrong. I want to assign a controller pedal to be able to "morph" between the two separate paths. Is this possible?

ThanksView attachment 6563

sure, I do this all the time. Put a separate volume block in each path, controlled by the same pedal. Reverse the start and end values on one of the volume block modifiers.

Check the input select for the first amp or drive in each path. One should be left, the other right for this to work. You might find vol. block balance is less than ideal for smooth morphing because center will be 100% to both amps. In that case you can try separate volume blocks in each path (there's a way to do this with one mixer too, feeding it from 2 rows and balancing them left/right) and adjust level instead of balance. Leveling post-amp might also be of interest.

Thanks for all the suggestions! Can someone explain why the pan feature shown in the picture won't work. Using the balance, it seems like this should be able to fade between the two paths smoothly. I can't make it work?

Thanks View attachment 6563

Last edited:
Did you check the amp/drive input select settings?

I must have misunderstood your reply. That fixed it! Now the only issue is it takes about 1 to 2 seconds for the pan effect to take effect. Not a huge deal but it could certainly be quicker.

Thanks!

Adjusting with Axe-Edit or a pedal? There could be an issue with slow outgoing data but see above regarding balance--if you're wanting a gradual crossfade it won't actually happen because center is 100% for both channels.

I am using a pedal plugged into an MFC-101. What do you mean about an issue with slow outgoing data?

The 100% in the center is actually ok. It lets you have as much or as little of each that you want.

Thanks for the help!

I am using a pedal plugged into an MFC-101. What do you mean about an issue with slow outgoing data?

The 100% in the center is actually ok. It lets you have as much or as little of each that you want.

Thanks for the help!

Something along the way not passing the controller data as quickly as you generated it. I was mostly thinking that if you were using Axe-Edit's MIDI merge instead of a direct MFC - Axe connection, that could be the reason.

Here is the patch. It is working but it is very sluggish. I have the Volume on Ext 1, Pan between patches on ext 3, Wah on off on Ext 4 and wah Freq on ext 2. The patch was created with a Gibson 335 (FWIW).

Back
Top Bottom